3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bringing Rod Jenkins out WEST?!!!!  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bringing Rod Jenkins out WEST?!!!!
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Hey, Y'all look out!   I finished that bow I was working on and it came out at 32#.  It's the smoothest (and prettiest) bow I have ever had!   I  Can't wait for Rod to teach me how to handle that kind of power! :^)

(see:  Meet "Out of the Closet"
 http://dickwightman.com/archery/bowyering/bowsmade/outofcloset/outofcloset.html

Now that the bow work is done, I've started blind baling and trying to work on my gosh awful form.

Brent and I should be there sometime Friday
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Dick, that's a beauty! Love the veneers. I might have to see if I can try it out on the range....
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
You guys are going to have a blast. I just spent 2 days with Rod and after shooting today i can tell a world of difference. Rod even called me today just to see how everthing was comming along, I thought that was pretty cool. Rod is definitely one of the good guys.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the update on your experience Joe! I know we are really looking forward to July. Glad to hear you benefited greatly from that time with Rod. It is a good reminder for us to head into this shooting clinic with an open mind and ears! I will definitely relay what our experience is during the July get-together....how about "Rod's Shooting Rendevous"?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
What a party guys!! I wanna' shoot that beauty too!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Snag, good directions...thanks.

Yes, good looking bow Dick.  :smileystooges:    :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
If anyone needs to feel free to call here at the store for directions but that map will do you fine , keep my # handy in case you get lost 541-386-4503

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Yes, we are a "needy" bunch of archers!   :thumbsup:   That's the first step to improvement...admitting we are in NEED of help.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
Yes, we are a "needy" bunch of archers!    :thumbsup:    That's the first step to improvement...admitting we are in NEED of help.
Most everyone has archery "strengths" and "weaknesses" Trick is to recognize and  solidify the strengths and rework the weaknesses.

Can't wait to be in Oregon!
2004 IBO World Champion

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Well guys, it's only about one month away!!!  I wanted to talk FOOD, GRUB, SURVIVAL NOURISHMENT! I think some dutch oven cooking would be fun. For those who want to eat at the range where we'll be camping let us know. I could do a pot of chili and some cornbread. There is the option of heading into Hood River for breakfast. I think I'll bring a 2 burner propane camping stove. Those that would like to stay and not have to drive into town we can make some eggs, pancakes, bacon, and coffee. But first we need to know how many will be eating there onsite. I thought for lunches we could take care of ourselves. I'll be bringing stuff to make sandwiches, etc. Also we can bring our own soft drinks, juice, etc.  I will bring a cooler filled with iced down bottled water for everyone. Any other ideas let's hear them!

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Just a heads up Snag , Lois and I are going to do a sort of open house on Saturday after the class here at Raptor Archery, Bar b style with adult refreshments , dont worry Adam we will have something for you as well.
The back door of the shop will be open for those attending the Jenkins class to enjoy the museum and all the items to look at.
Also if anyone is bringing a trailer/ motor home we have space on the street in front of the store and then we can get you to the range in the morning. So figure Saturday meal covered

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
If the guys want to take advantage of your hospitality should we give you a tally Ted? If we join you is there anything we can bring to contribute?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
A BBQ at Ted's with adult beverages? Shooting bunches of arrows with other TGers? Camping and campfires with same? Learning how to draw(L) like Rod Jenkins?

I was fine until the BBQ came up. That HURTS!!
Killdeer   :eek:    :mad:    :knothead:    :banghead:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline treebeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
About a month away! Will be a good time down at Ted's on Saturday evening. For the guys camping at the range a few of us locals can bring multi passenger cars to car pool down to Ted's then get ya back up to camp after dinner. The shop is a real experience, a phenomenal collection of archery history and historic long bows. The proprietor is an entertaining character as well:).  Thurs night has become the traditional archery get together night at the range. I'll try and get some photos this week of the range and post them.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Eating in camp sounds great, if there are good camp cooks willing to do it.  I will, in the interests of community health, offer to donate to a fund to provide the food, and to stay far away from any actual preparation of same.  8^)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Adam and I have been practicing................. the eating part like crazy!!

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
snag:
  I had not been following your thread on Rod Jenkins…  Today I read it complete.  I see you are doing stuff with light poundage bows and would offer a couple things if I may. I have a Knight “Baron Royal” 1 piece recurve, 58” (my own personal, it’s about all I can shoot with a bad shoulder and wrist now day’s) 40lbs@28” draw.  You and the guy’s are welcome to borrow it for the weekend and add to the inventory of things to play with if you wish.  The key word here is BORROW, I want it back!   I have been told (by Bill Sweetland  who borrowed it in his later days) that it will smoke anything of equal poundage.

Also, I don’t know what you are shooting for light poundage arrows but am willing to contribute if you, Ted, and/or others involved want to finish up some $urew00d$h@ft$ into finished arrows for the party.  We have some, say approx 200 shafts @ 23/64” parallel that are less than 50 lb spine that I am willing to donate and could run through the “wIz@rd$@nder” to put a 10” parabolic taper on them down to 5/16” for the nock. YOU weigh em, YOUmatch em, YOUspine em, YOUfletch em , etc. ahead of time for you and the guy’s to shoot and pass around at the party and do with as you will.  Save some matched sets of raw shafts for raffle prizes etc, whatever you want, just let the guy’s know where they come from.

Sounds like a fun filled weekend and I may even have to show my ugly face if weather cooperates, that is if VFR (visual flight rules ) exsist and somebody(ted/joey/lois?) can/is willing to pick me up and deliver me back to the hood river airport at some point.  Busy week end that is.

20 years of dutch oven cooking while guiding Hells Canyon whitewater adventures…..could make a fool of myself here also.  Pineapple upside down cake,  Black Forest/cherry cake, Cornbread, Buttermilk biscuts, Beer bread, scalloped  potatoes, baked potatoes…wow.. I’m getting hungry, gotta  go

stump.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Stump! You are too much! What an offer. I'm speechless.....there I got over it. It would be my honor to make some matching arrows out of this holy sticks. A raffle would be a lot of fun. I'll donate some arrows to the cause as well! If your offer on the 40lb. "Baron Royal" stands I will guard it with my life...cause if anything happened to it that's what my payment would be I'm sure! haha  I've only done a little dutch oven cooking. Sounds like you are the pro! Ted is having a BBQ at his shop Sat. night. So, to make things easier maybe we should use my truck to shuttle folks there. But I will bring supplies for lunches and breakfast. Thanks again Stump! I'll pm you with my contact info.
This is looking more and more like one heck of a weekend! I will offer up some arrows for a raffle or the "most improved student" award...  :biglaugh:   We'll think of something!

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
The Saturday night" Shindig" at Ted's sounds like a blast. Since I'm one of the local "Yokels" I won't be camping, if you decide to pool the lunches I will be happy to contribute what ever is needed.  If anyone needs to be shuttled between the range and town, we can make that happen also.
After watching MBB3, I can see it might be a long weekend for this old man........ something about old dogs and new tricks comes to mind.....Good luck ROD!

Offline treebeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
"old" is the key word above Bigleg.

Rod, if you are out there and read this, any chance of bringing an extra Soma tab we can try out? I would really like to compare it against my Cav before throwing down 60 bucks for one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©