3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed test-opinions?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
Speed test-opinions?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
What do you think about this speed test?

Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed test-opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
I liked it.It is a great way for guys that like building bows to see how they are doing.I am sure they will have even more bows in the next one.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I would have liked to have known the bow weight and arrow weight.  The only numbers I heard were for the ACS 520 gr at 52#. They did a great job, especially testing bows set up for hunting.  Those numbers have meaning.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Molson they were all shot with 10gns at a 28" draw.They were shot with the string setup the owners sent with the bows.

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
199fps with 10 grain and 28" for the wippenstick? Could that be true?
13fps faster than the ACS?
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
^^^^
Yep
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Sure it was true for the way they were tested.The ACS was set up as the owner hunts with it.String silencers and probably a heavy string.I think all the bows were shot just as the owners sent them in.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
I think if ACS sent a bow to the speed test it would be faster than that ACS.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Ken's bows are the fastest on the planet right now.  The guys participating in this event are right on the cutting edge of custom bow performance.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I must have missed the 10 gpp @28 part.  Wasn't sure because they mentioned some set up for flight shooting and some set up for hunting. Those are all very good to exceptional speeds.  I thought the ACS set up for hunting and shooting in the upper 180's was pretty impressive.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
does Ken sell his bows? do the wippensticks have a website?

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
"Ken's bows are the fastest on the planet right now."

Might be but they left a lot of variables open to question and none have handed one to an independant tester like Blacky or Norb. One cardinal sin is you never test bows in that way with fletched arrows. Brace heights?? Nock fit?  Hard to tell from the video but it looks like Ken's bow had at least 1" if not more lower brace height. I'm sure it was fun but a long way from a controled fair test....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Well if a guy sets up a bow to shoot the way he wants and sends it in the way he shoots it he gets the numbers as he uses the bow.Sure it is not apples to apples in every respect but it is after all just a way to see what there bow is doing.I see people take very fast bows and do all sorts of things to make them slower.From what I can see this one not one of those test where you shoot a bow at two inches less braceheight than the bow will shoot well at to get numbers.It was shot with the setup the bowyer or owner liked to use for the bow.If anything the numbers are more real that way for practical purposes.If a guy shoots his bow at an 8" braceheight and two sets of silencers wants to see how his bow performs taking silencers off and dropping to a 6" brace height or changing strings tells him nothing about how he uses the bow. jmo

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Well look at all the people talking about the fast speeds - on a bow set up by the bow maker for speed obviously.

These numbers seem artificially impressive because the same tests were done on well known bows - but they were not set up for speed.
Additionally as OL noted we have no idea hows consistent the knocks were since they werent even mentioned.

I can definitely see why reasonable people dismiss the tests as being useful.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I can definitely see why reasonable people dismiss the tests as being useful
Well I think it is usefull to the person that sent in his bow to be tested.He knows how his bow set up the way he uses it and stands up against a few others.Now I agree if someone is wanting to look at a list to buy a bow that is a few fps faster than another it might not be the list to look at.But this testing was for guys to see what THERE bows were doing.If you want different numbers just look at Blacky's test in TBM if you want to.From what I remember (don't take it any more) most everything he has tested has been so close a few grains of arrow weight will make them all shoot the same. lol

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
All those bows were shooting 10 grains per pound at 28 inches of draw? That takes some effort just to set up that many different bows to compare like that! If that's the case I'm impressed at their effort!
I thought it was a nice video. There were some nice numbers posted. Not real impressive numbers but good numbers none the less. Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens at their 2009 event.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
Well thats kind of my point. The video presents itself as a comparison that the viewers can learn something from.

But mostly all they learn is how a particular bow shot - but they dont even learn how it was set up.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Well I was very impressed by some of the numbers myself.  ;)  What impressed me the most were not the fastest numbers but those that Badgers all wood bows shot.Way faster than any I have ever seen.Would love to see how one would shoot after being hunted with a while and really shot in.

Guys anyone can send in a bow.You can set it up any way you want and tell them what braceheight to shoot it at.You furnish the string and it will get shot with a 10gn/lb arrow at 28".If you don't agree with the way a certain bow was tested send in one set exacly the way you want it.Pretty simple really.  ;)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I will add that it's an open invite to any and all bowyers.  I think many of the bows are overbuilt for very good reason.  They are sold to the public!  There is a distinction made between the bow sold to the public and one built just for a speed test.  That redlined bow may not last through the testing event.  There are tons of very fast bows that are built to hunt, and Ken's bows are some of the best.  Unfortunately, many big name bowyers won't send in a sample to get beaten by a relatively obscure bowyer.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
James, "From what I remember (don't take it any more) most everything he has tested has been so close a few grains of arrow weight will make them all shoot the same. lol"...Only about 20% difference!   :)  

Apex, "Unfortunately, many big name bowyers won't send in a sample to get beaten by a relatively obscure bowyer."

Many won't send bows to folks with agendas and not holding a fair test either. It either needs to be casual as it was and therefore limited value or tow the line consistant paying attention to every detail.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©