3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed test-opinions?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed test-opinions?
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »
You know, the Walk the Talk "competition" was conceived for all the "garage builders" out there to have a place to get together, show off their designs, test them against one another in as level a playing field as they could get and share information about building bows.
Are there some bragging rights amoung the contestants? Sure there are. Some good natured ribbing? LOADS of it! At the end of the day though, this test is about sharing information.

Come check out the Bowyers Gallery on the WTT home site and you will find that it is populated by a large group of highly talented bowyers all sharing info with each other for the benefit of all. Nothing more, nothing less.

I participated in the LAS test last weekend and shot that longbow you are talking about OL. I think it actually clocked 207fps. It was very well mannered and seemed reasonably quiet. It had a TINY string on it.
We did a LOT of shooting and took a lot of video of pretty much everything you could think of. I am anxious to get the CD of the compiled info. For me, it has presented me with as many new questions as it answered old questions. I am certain there will be more testing in the future.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Jaeger, Was just quoting what Rob told me. Sounds like you guys did some good stuff. The skinny strings being quieter then fat strings confirms what many others have seen and quiet opposite from 90% of the advice we see!  :)  The answer to all questions is knowing what questions to ask!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I'm sorry, I missed the original question.  Could someone start over?    :saywhat:    :rolleyes:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I enjoyed the video for its entertainment value. I would have liked to have seen more bows tested that are regularly shot and traded by those of us on TradGang, but I know that was not the purpose of the event. Besides my ACS (an A&H model, NOT O.L.'s   ;) )  , I have never shot any bows made by the other bowyers at WTT, nor have I ever shot the Trad Tech, so it is harder for me to make a comparison when there was not a baseline of various bows that are part of my experience. I like my ACS quite a lot, but it does not seem to me to be dramatically faster than some of my other fast bows. I'm sure the meeting of those bowyers at WTT was a lot of fun for them. That would nice to experience if I were building bows in my shop, and I liked seeing the enthusiasm they were showing. I don't try to attach more to the event than the fun time and learning experience it was intended to be. It reminds me a lot of when my son was in Cub Scouts and everyone built a little "toy" racer and then competed against one another. That was fun and educational for those involved.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ken Rohloff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Hi guys,
 Just clearing up a few things here for those concerned. Last years event was more geared towords finding a winner than it was to reflect an actual "bow test", But still wanted to bring it to you in a fashion that could be compared to what Norb and Blacky do in their tests. This year will be totally different. This year each bow will be tested at the exact same brace and with strings that are built of same material and strand count. Even the nock fit will be watched very carefully!!
 As for their being an "agenda on my part being the host of the event??? I just had to laugh out loud at that one. I never once put a link to the event in my website (which was just started the first of this year) and never used it as selling point for anything I build for the public.I dont ever use any claims of speed to promote anything I build. The fast bow I built for WTT II was just an experiment, thats all, as were most of the bows in WTT II. We only used a few factory built bows to gage off of.
 With a full year to prepair for WTT III the scrutinizers of the event have had more than ample time to get something ready to send in and are very welcomed to do so.
Im so much cooler on line

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Ken   :campfire:   ! Looking forward to your input!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
I heard a rumor that Ken might be coming to Baltimore this year. I for one look forward to trying out a Whippen Stick in person!! Shoot OL, I'd look forward to trying one of your bows as well!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Ken
Arent various bows designed to work with different brace heights?
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Ken, I watched the video from beginning to end, this is coming from a guy (me) who has mostly shot hunting self bows and longbows my entire adult life which most here would think of as slugs:) I don't give much thought to bow speed.

That said, the entire concept of a group of "garage builders" having a yearly summit to showcase tackle and compare notes is brilliant. I see nothing but good from such a think tank:) The archery golf alone has me wanting to go out and whittle a stickbow so I can join the fun next year.

Best of Luck!
Daddy Bear

Offline STICKDP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
tHATS A BUNCH OF FOOTBALL ABUSE.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Ken, what is your website address?  great video!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline M Venator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I always heard my Grizzly Bow should shoot fast, but after reading this thread I’m thinking it shoots “wicked fast!”  I shot ten arrows, witnessed by one other person, through the chronograph and came up with these results: 205, 209, 209, 205, 208, 206, 204, 205, 209, 210 feet per second (pic is below).  This was done drawing the 45# bow to the proper length, as marked on the arrow, with a 403 grain arrow, shot from 3 feet in front of the chronograph.  That’s an average of 207 fps with an arrow that goes 9 grains per pound of draw weight.  Sounds pretty solid to me!  Thoughts?

I’ll try to put together a 10 gr/lb arrow and redo the test.  Just can’t find the right points...

It don't get no better than this...

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I thought WTT was way cool Ken!  Made me start wearin a patch over one eye!  ;)  

Mike, you should send that one to WTT, there is still time.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Ken Rohloff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
M venator,
 Thats a smokin number!! Id be stoked with that!! great bow. Id say that ones a keeper fer sure.

Offline autobows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
My question is, why is the speed so important to begin with?
It seems like accuracy and a smooth-shooting bow should be much more important.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
ALL things being equal... the faster the better for accuracy, penetration on game... all things being equal mind you. Im not saying sacrifice quiet for it or forgiveness or hand shock or any other thing that contributes to a "sweet" shooter.

The guys that are doing Walk The Talk can all build an easy shooting bow, no problem. But coming up with a design thats better than your previous effort is what its all about. And sharing the info with your fellow bowyer is at the heart of it all. The speed part is just the aspect everyone seems to be stuck on. I guess the need for speed has always add some romance to a subject.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Ken Rohloff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Autobows & TNstickn,

Both your statements are spot on and are exactly how I feel. I wont give up having a solid safe strong and lasting bow for any amount of speed. If I can get some speed along with these qualities I'll take it, who wouldnt? All the event is is a reunion for hobbiest bow builders that throw in performance as a fun competition aspect of it all. and some good old fasioned ribbing among buddies.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Ken,

Thanks for hosting the WTT event and producing the video. I really enjoyed watching it and learned something too. There were some really nice bows on there. It amazes me how close some of the stick bows come to matching the performance of a compound bow. Of course, with compounds they are shooting arrows of around 5 grains per pound to get speeds approaching 300 fps. I'm not sure what speeds those same wheel bows would shoot using 10 grains per pound like you were using, but I doubt they would beat your bow by large margins. I am with Fred Eichler when he says he doesn't hunt with a trad bow because it is more difficult, he hunts with it because it is the most efficient hunting tool under the conditions where he is using it. Firearms hunters can't hunt most of the times when we can, and compound hunters have to deal with slow draws, heavy bows, complex mechanisms, loads of extra equipment, and mechanical issues. Development of trad bows to advance the efficiency of our chosen hunting tools is a great goal that you and the others participating in WTT are pursuing.

Thanks,
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline M Venator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks gents...good to hear it was a great buy ($500).  Now if only I could convince my wife of that!  

I agree that speed is not everything.  Or, really, even the most importantly thing.  Like many, I'm sure, I grew up shooting a compound.  Now I shoot only a longbow for love of the sport, not simply killing animals or winning trophies (done plenty of both...with and without the longbow).  In fact, converted partly because of all the chatter around bow speed, pin gap, etc.  I just want to hunt and enjoy the outdoors.  Not feel like I have to spend another grand to get the latest set-up.  The bow doesn’t make the hunter.  Time, experience, dedication and love for the outdoors do.  Just my opinion though.  

This bow sits nice in my hand with very little shock...and still spits arrows out at over 200 fps.  I've taken black bear, elk, mule deer and javelina with my Grizzly Bow and I'm happy as can be.  I use it – abuse it, and it keeps shooting solid.

All that said, it sure is nice to know I have some bragging rights when it comes to speed at the next club shoot!

Thanks again for the responses…

-MV
It don't get no better than this...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©