3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD Tradlights vs. Traditionals  (Read 593 times)

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
AD Tradlights vs. Traditionals
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I've gone back and looked at a number of posts on AD carbon shafts. Its seems as if the Tradlights break a lot more often than the Traditionals. Is this true or is it just a perception that I picked up in the posts? If it is true, should I go with the heavier shaft even though my bow would probably shoot the Tradlights better? I have a 60" MOAB that is 55# at my draw length of 27".
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD Tradlights vs. Traditionals
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I shoot the Traditionals out of a 58#, and a 62#longbow with no problems at all. I have them weighted up 360 gr up front. My friend shot one of my arrows and he shoots a 45# longbow. I havent seen the posts where "they break alot", Any concerns you may have contact Ted@raptor He is a sponsor here, he will be more then happy to talk with you about your questions, and concerns.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
I never had any problems with the lites as they are the 1st ones I tried.  Never broke a lot of them, however, I did switch to the Trad Heavies cause I wanted a heavier arrow.  And so yes, more weight means more material, more material means more durability.

I don't see why you can't shoot the Trads out of that MOAB.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Wall thickness is what makes the difference with all the Arrow Dynamics shafts , Trad lite is thinner wall than the Trad  so yes it would be less durable but should not be an issue as even the Trad lites are tough. My choice for what you are shooting would be either the Trad or Hammerhead ( even tougher) All would fly fine from your setup , just have to decide the mass weight you want.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I shoot the Trad Lites out of a Morrison Shawnee 54@27 and can't seem to break em. I stump shoot all the time shooting rocks, stumps, etc. and have not broken any as of yet(about 1 1/2 years now). I had one broke when my partner shot it on the side while stumpin and another when I buried a BH in a tree and tried to twist it out. But I have never broke one shooting or hitting something. Most durable shaft I've shot to date.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Tradlites cut 29" with 225 FOC will work from your bow. I haven't had anyone complain about the Trad lites breaking compared to the Trad Heavies.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I switched to nock adaptor for glue ons and that I like , dont break as many , other wise you will go through some arrow nock!!!!!!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
I'll 2nd the nock adapters. I also use brass inserts on the business end. maybe this is why I never break them.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks, I've learned a lot.
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Here's an option that I will offering for the AD wood grain shafts.  It's an aluminum collar that gets put on before the insert.  This will help out on those hard hits.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I shoot the Trad Lites out of all my bows. I've lost a couple but have never broken one. If you don't need a real heavy arrow, you can't go wrong with the Lites.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Paul,

That aluminum collar needs a taper on the back end too so we can pull it out of targets! I hate a flat shoulder on the rear of the arrow tip!!!! I have a bunch of AD Trad shafts that do not have the inserts glued in. I need to order some 100 grain brass inserts, and I would like to have the collars too if they were tapered at the rear end. Other than the taper issue, the collars look like a great idea.

Thanks,
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
I've been shooting the same dozen AD Trads for at least 2 years without a problem! 100 grn brass insert with 150 grn broadhead up front easton bushings with G nocks at the back, excellant shafts not a complaint!! Jason

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Badger , you can also make a collar out of a 2413 Easton aluminum arrow , this way you can cut different lengths to fit what you want for weight as well. Allan very easy to take a file or sandpaper and make a slight taper on the back of the collar

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
I've been shooting the collars for a little while now and pull out of targets very easily.  They are rounded over on the back edge and slide out nice. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
These are machined collars, they have a shoulder on the inside that the shaft rest on.  This helps to protect the shaft.  It is not the same as using a piece of shaft.  Allan, like dino said, they will pull out of a target easily.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on the rear of the collars!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
What size brass adapters are you guys using for the tradlites? I got some 5/16 but they are too small.
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Only inserts made for the AD shafts will fit , sorry bowhuntah but you will have to get them from an AD dealer , happy to help you out as would any of the other dealers on here.

Offline Bowhuntah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Is anybody using the steel to glue on kind?
Everybody loves archery... some just haven't tried it yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©