3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Decoys  (Read 480 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Decoys
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I have been looking at a LOT of turkey decoys this year. I was originally looking at a full strut tom or jake but I talked with my buddy who has taken over 40 spring toms and he advised against it. He has seen them scare lots of birds. Pretty much any bird that wasn't the dominate bird in the area. I am using my longbow only and will take any legal bird.

so many dekes are hard to fold up or look fake. so after looking at a ton of them I decided on blow up ones. They have the most realistic looking heads, they are made in molds of real turkey heads like the taxidermist uses. The body's are photo realistic and they are not too expensive.

I got the submissive sally and delinquent jake

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa....0008&hasJS=true

these look very real. the strutting tom is pretty shiny, but they made it that way because if you look at a strutting bird they do shine. They seem pretty thick and they come with glue to fix any holes. It was windy yesterday and they worked fine. the stake is 2 peices and different thickness on either side. You can stick one end in the bird and it will move or spin and the other side will not let it move

Here are some pics I snapped today in full sun shine. I think they have just the right amount of "sheen" to look like real turkeys. It takes me about 5 breaths to blow them up.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Decoys
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
I think they will do nicely. Do the move in the slightest breeze? If so...bonus.

Set him up behind and above her, that will bring em in quick.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Look good. Let us know how they handle an "attack".
I was looking at those too but after watching a few decoys get mated on you tube didn't know if they would last.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I don't know if it makes a hoot but I have had less birds even Jakes get scared from gobbler decoys if I remove the beard. I saw those at walmart, they look great. Hunting with a bow especially trad they havee to be realistic he has to get as close as possible, I would not let him beat up on that decoy though.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
I use the Arab turkey decoys, they blow themselves up.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
yes, they do move in the slightest breeze if you use the smaller side of the stake inside the Decoy. If you flip the stake the decoy will not move.

I realize that I may end up shooting it or having it get deflated by a bird, but if it gets me a bird in the process with my longbow, it'll be worth the $20

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I use a Dave Smith Hen Decoy ONLY. The Dave Smith is a solid construction that the toms and jakes can climb on top of, hens wollop the decoy, and she just keeps here calm and takes the abuseLOL.

I tried using jake decoys and the jake deeks seemed to keep the other jakes/toms at bay.

I removed the jake from the equation and the toms would come right in.

Here is a picture of one of my 3 turkeys from last season with the Dave Smith Hen Decoy. Yes, I was using training wheels. I plan to leave the compound at home this year.

Another that 6 jakes were fighting over the hen and this one fell victim. Unfortunately, my camera batteries were dead, so this is the next morning (don't worry, he was on ice all night)

Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I killed my first turkey Tuesday morning (with a shotgun).  I have maybe been 5 times my whole life.  

I bought two $9.99 hollow-foam decoys from Walmart and I called a jake right to them.  Compared to what yours look like, mine look like two spare tire innertubes!  LOL!!!

I am happy with the cheap ones, and will stick with them.  If my cheap ones worked so well, I am sure yours will work fine.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
I use the cheap foam ones for practice in the off season - a lot cheaper than those fancy foam targets, I just put a block behind them.

I really like those DSD's.  A bit out of my budget, but they really are the cats meow.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©