3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help me design a broadhead...  (Read 823 times)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
help me design a broadhead...
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Ive got the awesome opportunity to build some screw in broadheads with the guidance of a knife smith and the use of his shop. Now i just gotta figure out how i want to shape them. Im counting on yall for input on this. If you could design the perfect two blade head, what would it look like...dimenstions and such?
thanks
Kyle

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help me design a broadhead...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
I would like to see a 3:1 ratio with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter.  It would also have to be vented to help prevent wind planing.  You could also put some small bleeders in there while you were at it.  It might look like a cross between a Magnus Stinger and a Wensel Woodsman.  This would be the ultimate broadhead for me but everyone is different.  Good luck I'll bet you have a blast.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
if i could make any broadhead any way i wanted i would make a laminated version of the simmons tiger shark with a single bevel and a tanto tip. then i would make optional bleeder blades set as far back as i could. sizes maybe 3in x 1 1/2 or slightly smaller.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Why a single bevel? splain this tanto tip to me, please.

Im kinda drawing these up as yall give me ideas. I think the 3-1 will be awesome for penetration on big hogs and that 1 1/2" wide behemouth will leave a hek of a whole in thinner skinned game like deer. Think i might call it..."Big Nasty", lol.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
From a production stand point along with high quality I,d copy the silver flame's.It wouldn,t be that hard to thread blanks depending on what tools you'll have access to.In the end you'll have a real nice hand made tool that if ya put a price on...  :eek:  LOL Lets just say my 3 blade solid SS from bar stock  heads would be around 200 each and that'd be a good price.just the bar stock was 8$ each and steel has been going crazy.

Flat stock for a 2 blade wouldn,t be that bad and be fairly easy to work with.Good luck

I think Tippit a memeber here fordged some 2 blade heads I,ll see if I can find it and get it ttt
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
The man who will be guiding me is a top notch knife smith. His steel is unbelieveable. I think a multiblade is a little more than im ready to tackle. Ill have access to a metal lathe though for doing the ferrule, threads, and such. Might try doing some from damascus too.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
a tanto tip is what dr. ashby recommends for the "best penetration, best bone busting" tip. basically the way the magnus stingers tip is. and a single bevel is what the grizzlys are, it is also what Dr. Ashby recommends.
dished in blade like the simmons sharks is supposed to help with penetration, forget what the technical name is.
remeber to post some picks and what you finnally design. you are indeed a lucky guy to get some professional help with something as cool as this.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
What ever became of the "BONEBUSTER" broadhead line?  They almost looked like a trade point with a very pronouced chisel/tanto style tip.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
bm22, by "dished in" are you referring to the sweep in the blades on the simmons? I am afraid of the flare on the back. Seems like it would be like dragging a parachute. But ive never shot em. Also seems like the curved blades would be harder to sharpen. The design im coming up with is a bit of a hybrid between a grizzly and a delta. Ive heard SO much good stuff about the grizzlys, but i like the looks of the deltas better.
Kyle

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
they say he flare in the back is supposed to cut artery's and blood vessels, now i don't know if this is just advertising or if it actually works the wounds pictures posted we amazing and they seem to make huge holes.
nowas for sharpening it takes alittle getting used to but is not that difficult.
the grizzlys are great but if you make an exact copy of the grizzly you might as well buy the grizzly. accorrding to ashby they are the best penetrating broadheads availible.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Not to rain on your parade.....but there are a plethora of fine broadheads available commercially for little cost. If I had an opportunity to spend time with a knifesmith I'd probably want to build a knife (good knives are available for low cost also but a custom knife is a an heirloom-broadheads are by nature expendable). If the blademaster and I were commited to arrowheads then I would make something unusual like a scimitar "bird point" or  a rope cutting warhead or something.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©