3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: low poundage for Turkey?  (Read 337 times)

Offline ALA

• Trad Bowhunter
low poundage for Turkey?
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I just got a toelke whip for my teenage daughter. It is 40#@28. I can't seem to stop shooting this bow myself. My accuracy with it is better. Since Turkey season is near, I would like opinions from all you more experienced than me. Will this work? What arrow/broadhead combo would maximize this setup if it will work. I draw 28 and a haif inches.  Thanks , Tony

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: low poundage for Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I aint no pro but I have read a lot of stuff like this before and I think it will be fine with a good broadhead I am going to use a magnus 2 blade. Another option is the decapatation type heads like the bull head or the Gobbler Guilitine I think the G.G. has a much larger cutting diameter.  You may do a search and find more info.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
If 40# is enough for deer(and it is) I really don't see any reason it wouldn't be more than enough for turkey. Turkeys are big but still much smaller than deer.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
I was advised to use a Snuffer on Turkeys.

Just make sure they are really sharp.

Shot placement is a key with a fixed blade.

Hit'em high watch'em die, hit'em low watch'em go.

I will be using either a 42# at 28 or 45# at 28 with the Snuffer up front. The bird will have to be at 10 yards or less before I let'er rip.

Good luck to you and post your pics.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
I've called gobblers for a couple friends that shot and klled gobblers with 40# selfbows.They also missed a few.Any sharp 2 blade will do the job.I even shot through 2 with knaped heads with a 57# and a61# bow and passed through both of gobblers.And forget about leaving the arrow in the turkey.Gobblers are just like deer it's far better to cut and damage the gobbler the whole way through than half way.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©