3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Specialties Arrow Crester - Opinions Wanted  (Read 426 times)

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Specialties Arrow Crester - Opinions Wanted
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
I just got a hold of an Arrow Specialites cresting machine.  Who has used/owns one?  Opinions?  Wanted to hear it all, the good, bad, and the ugly!  I just started playing with it this afternoon and wasn't too impressed with how it spun a shaft with a little bend in it, but a perfectly straight shaft spun like a dream.  Whats your experience......dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Red Armed Panther

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Specialties Arrow Crester - Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
It is all I use, I like it very much. If a shaft is not straight it will be a problem no matter what crester you use.

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
what is this arrow specialties crestor and where can I find info?  :confused:

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I've got one and have had no problems, as Red Panther said if your stock is bent it's not the crestors fault.

Bill

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Bill,
The reason I mentioned the bent shaft (and it was a very slight wobble) is because my Philips crester handles them pretty well.  So I am comparing all other cresters to that and it seems that the bent shaft walked right out of the crester.

Thanks for the input guys, keep em coming. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
These are made by Dave Parks in Enumclaw, Washington and have to say it is one of the best...if not THE best, made.  ;)  

OH, how come your shaft is not straight?   :eek:    :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
I have one and find if I put just a little bit of pressure on the shaft it helps take out any wobble that the shaft may have. Does not take much pressure at all. It's more of a feel thing I've gotten occustomed to.
I typically rest the hand I hold my brush in (left hand, since I'm a lefty) on the knuckles of my right had for stability, I put the pressure on the shaft with my right hand. Again it does not take too much pressure, if you start to slow the motor down your pressing down too hard.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
OH, how come your shaft is not straight?     :eek:        :goldtooth:  
Blackhawk,
When testing a product such as a crestor I don't always test them with die straight aluminums.  Much easier to see flaws or positives with a real world ramin shaft that isn't die straight.  I do understand and experienced no issues cresting my perfectly straight cedars.  Maybe that is my flaw.    :)

Bucksnort,
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Going to give that a try.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Glad to give some input. My method does not work for shafts that are really far out of being straight, but helps with those that have just that littel bit of wobble you just can't get rid of.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I have used mine for years, and would never give it up.  I also use it as a spin tester.  It's a great way to make sure you have a straight shaft.  I also add some pressure to the shaft at times.

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
I have one and can find no fault with it. Works great..............

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©