3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flint Heads  (Read 146 times)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Flint Heads
« on: March 28, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I had a fella today offer me some flint heads to try out. I don't know how to attach them or what kind of shaft to use. I have some cedar I could use and we can get some sinew. I might try to fletch the arrows with sinew but need some advice on that to. Would like to hunt turkeys with them.  :confused:

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flint Heads
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Will I am going to hunt turkeys this year with my selfbow and stone heads I personally think they will work fine. As for how to mount them go to the How To forum and there is a post there that will tell you how to do it. Might want to check your local game laws before hunting with the stones tho.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
The how to forum has some great information. If you are using sinew to put your fletching on, don't get in a hurry. Give the sinew plenty of time to dry. For the points I like to use a pine pitch glue that has charcoal from hardwood and some fiberous material, pounded dry grass/bark, or my favorite would be pulverised very dry elk droppings. If mixed in the ratio it is amazing how well that will hold your point until you get the sinew wrapped on. Make sure it is dry before you shoot them.
Tim

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Go to How to resources and see topic mounting a flint head. I was just sent to this last week!  ;)
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©