3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do to prepare for that 1st shot?  (Read 444 times)

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What do you do to prepare for that 1st shot?
« on: March 28, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I need some suggestions.  I have been shooting trad for a few months now, and I feel like that I am doing better.  However, my first shot seems to always be off, then when I fire a few more, I start to hit good.  However, I am thinking that my 1st shot is my most important since I think it is very doubtful that a whitetail is going to give me that 2nd shot.  So I guess what I am asking is how do you stay loose after sitting several hours in the stand?  I know with the compound it was not as critical for there was always the high let off. Is this something that will get better with me the more I shoot (strength wise), or is a form flaw? Thanks ahead for the suggestions, hope all is well, GOD BLESS!!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do to prepare for that 1st shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I draw my bow every 30 min or so when I am hunting to try and stay loose. As for your first shot problems I would say make sure that you are doing the same thing every time. If you think you are having form problems take a few videos of yourself shooting and watch them. That is how I improved my form and after that my shooting became more consistent.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I'll venture a guess for you.  I say that when you go out for that first shot you are just shooting at the target rather than really concentrating on that one spot you want to hit.  

I had this problem when I first started shooting trad.  My problem was shooting at a huge bullseye on my target.  First shot was somewhere on the target then I'd concentrate on that arrow and stack all the rest of em with the first arrow.  First thing I did was spray paint my target jet black and put a small flor. green dot in the center, then instead of shooting at a whole target I concentrated on that little spot.  

I could be way off here and without seeing you shoot it is really hard to determine if it is form, or if you are overbowed.  However, work on that concentration.  Even if it isn't the problem it will make you a much better barebow shooter in the long run.  Sometimes it even helps to shoot single arrows rather than groups.  And you are correct, first shot IS most important...Mike

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
one of the things i do before i step into the woods with my bow is warm up on my target in the very early mornin so when i see game im ready to take its not the first shot ive taken that day
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a few extra arrows in my quiver for just this very reason, nothing wrong with a little practice every so often while on stand!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I think you would benefit from a day or two of good ol' stump shooting. Walk in the envirnoment you hunt in. Keep the mindset that you are out hunting. Stop when you see your target-an old rotting stump, a leaf on a dirt bank, whatever-and say to yourself this is it! Go through your shot sequence and then go and pick up your arrow. Walk on and do this over and over. I would venture to say at the end of the day you are going to be ready to shoot that "first shot" whenever it presents itself. Good shooting.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
For first shot practice, I aim for a specific spot on my target, a dot or whatever you have, and only shoot one arrow at that spot. I then move to change the direction and distance from my target. I then fire one arrow at a new spot. This helps me concentrate and range estimate.  Stump shooting is also great, but limit yourself to one shot here also, make it count, and build confidence in your first shot. Hope this helps.

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I really appreciate it.  I am going to have to really focus on a smaller spot.  Also, what type of tips do you shoot when stump shooting.
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Judos or blunts. Keeps you from loosing your arrows.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
I'm having similar concerns.I do know that I can normally group much better on my 3d targets than I can on my bag target.I think mainly because it has five spots,and it throws off my concentration on the shot.

I've recently been going stump shooting regularly,and I seem to hit the stumps better than my bag target.Sometimes I shoot a group on them.Best practice ever,and some great fun with a hunting buddy well spent.

I use blunts,judos work great too.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
VTMTNMAN, I also seem too shoot better while out stumping. Feels more natural out in my hunting grounds because there is less distractions for me.

I like the big rubber blunts that 3Rivers sells.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Stumpshooting is in my opinion the best practice that you can get.  I like the judo heads for stumping.
As far as making the first shot count, keep your bow strung up and handy.  Get in the habit of taking just one shot, then put it down at a certain time of the day.  On your way to work.  First thing when you get home.  When you go out to get the newspaper.  Whatever it is, start a habit.  Take one shot and make it count.  

You can still pick up the bow and do some longer practice sessions at other times, but the one shot each day are the ones that count.  Even go so far as to keep a record of whether the shot was a kill or not.  You will find that you get better and better at making the first shot count.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
My routine is similar to Whips. It helps me to focus better.
Leland

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I am going to try to start one shot before and after work.

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
one method that works great for target panic which i really feel is your overlying problem (trust me we all have it in one form or another) is to put a large target up in front of you 6'x6' or close to it.put various dots of different sizes all over it, 15 or so will work.next stand 6' or so away from target,next draw your bow with arrow on it while trying to burn a hole through the dot you are looking at.hold a few seconds then let down.repeat on another dot.do not get into a directional pattern while doing this.mix it up always different.do this for a week every day without shooting for a week.follow this like i did and you'll see a huge difference...pick a spot and lock onto it....larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
shooting before you hunt is important also,like stated numerous times.good luck and good hunting
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks elkherder

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
youre welcome....good luck..need any more help pm me and i'll help all i can

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Like others I carry a judo head and take a few shots walking in to the stand if in daylight.  If it's dark I draw the bow back a few times picking out a little target to concentrate on once in a while while on stand.  Then shoot your judo on the way out in the daylight again.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Guys kind of look at me funny but....When I take my first shot I draw and do everyhting that I normally do for all my shots.  Then I look at the target and pay attention to the sight picture-then I let down. Do this a couple of times and you'll be surprised where your first shot goes.  You can do this every now and then while hunting.

have fun

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©