3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easton Axis ST's  (Read 208 times)

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Easton Axis ST's
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I recently acquired some Easton Axis ST 400’s. I noticed that have the HIT inserts that need to be glued in. How can they be tuned to determined proper length? Can they be tuned for my #53 @ 28” Shrew or will they be too stiff?
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easton Axis ST's
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I've been using the Axis shafts for a couple years and have learned to just use hot melt glue for the inserts.  If you have to remove them, you can warm up the shaft and pull them out. Don't heat them up any more the necessary, though. If you hit the shaft with flame, it doesn't take long to destroy it. I've never had an insert come loose.

To many variables to be sure if they will shoot out of your bow without testing, but a friend of mine shoots 400's out of a 50# bear recurve.

If you are going to bare shaft these for tuning, you can always put the inserts in and take your cuts off of the nock end.  Re-insert the nock and your ready to go.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I put the insert in the tip, place it into the arrow, and wrap the shaft/tip up in electrical tape.  I test all my arrows into a soft foam homemade block, and have yet to lose a tip with this method - except for the few times I forgot the electrical tape.
Support the sport!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
If this helps, I am shooting 30 3/4 inch axis 400 arrows with standard inserts and 175 grain field tips out of my griffin longbow that is 55# at 29".  I would be surprised if you couldn't make the work for your setup.

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
they shoot good for me out of my 51 lb recurve with a 145 grn point at 28 inches you should be fine you just might havre to adjust the point weight if ya cant get them to fly right ill buy them off ya lol

they shoot good out of my 51 lb recurve with a 145 gr point at 28 inches you should be fine ill take them off your hands if they dont work lol
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline dadto2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
bareshaft tuning trim the leanth off of the nock end.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
Did you get the HIT insert kit that comes with new shafts? It has an installation tool to set proper depth and a chamfer stone and HIT two part epoxy.The plastic install tool set the depth and also wipes out the excess epoxy when the tool is removed,but you can get by without if you don't have it.The chamfer stone will put a chamfer on the inside of the shaft to help the shaft from spilting or cracking the end of the shaft.I tune mine with some saran wrap,I push the insert in with some saran wrap to hold the insert and point snug.But you need a softer target to shoot into so it won't pull the insert out.I like to use wraps on carbons and tune with my wraps on so cutting from the nock doesn't work for me.

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
To get them out with heat I use a propane torch. Just put a fieldpoint into a vise, screw the insert in about 2 or 3 threads and heat the point. After about 30 seconds it starts to pull out of the arrow (using hot melt glue, longer for the epoxies). Just don't get the arrow with the flame.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
on a bare shaft, just pull the nock and cut off from that end and replace the nock.

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I was not aware that the nocks come so easily. Now the  bad news, looking closer they have already been cut to 26 1/2". I shoot right at 28". @#!%%$#
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©