3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do People Choose Bows....Or do bows Choose people?  (Read 755 times)

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
Do People Choose Bows....Or do bows Choose people?
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Over the last 10 years of building bows this question always kept me thinking.  At first, I was wondering "what did I do wrong" when I would see a used bow of mine for sale.  After getting my sponsorship to TradGang, I realized that it's just the way things go.  There are used bows for sale by every bowyer out there.  I started getting emails and calls from people that bought my used bows and just love 'em.  I have even sold bows that I made special for myself.  

I guess to sum it up....may everyones dream bow find them for many years of happy hunting together.  I just built mine for mysef!!!  

Thanks for Listening-   JD

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do People Choose Bows....Or do bows Choose people?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
JD : I shot your demo bow and since then have been looking for the right one to turn up. I am happy to say that I found it on here for sale and bought it. I love my new to me mojostik , walnut and ebony 42@28 and one sweet shooter. Thanks for a great bow. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I think many shooters don't realize what they are looking for until they have shot several bows. I have taken advantage of the vendors at shoots to experience many bows from Black widow to Joe the bowyer. A friend turned me on to a particular bowyer, and I thought his bows were just great shooters and I bought one. Since then, I managed to save some money to have the same bowyer make a bow to my specs, including the way my hand fits the grip. I now have a bow that I feel is a part of me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I think we keep choosing bows untill the right one chooses us.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
I think we keep choosing bows untill the right one chooses us.   :thumbsup:  
Agreed.   ;)  

JD...I'd love to see the one you just built for yourself.  How about posting some pics and specs?
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
JD... You make a fine recurve. I have been fortunate enough to buy two (used) from this site. Their grips differ somewhat so one will be for sale soon. That is not a reflection of your fine workmanship... It's just the way one feels better in my hand than the other.

Thank You So Much!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...

Oh Yea... Bows Choose Us...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
What wtpops said.  :thumbsup:

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
They say love at first sight, with bows its love at first shot. When it feels right its right
Bull

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I choose to buy or trade for all kinds of bows.  Then after I receive one and shoot it for awhile it remains to be seen whether it will choose me, or not.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
There is definitely not a "one bow fits all" out there.  It is sure fun trying to find that perfect one.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Wildman said it for me. There is nothing wrong with your bows Jim. Your crafstmanship is excellent and your pic of vaneers and handle woods is excellent too. After a few years of 20+ bows that I have traded and sold I finally have it narrowed down to four bows that fit me to a tee. Super kodiak recurves, Morrison recurves, Firefly longbows, Predator recurves. These four seem to nail everything I need to be deadly accurate and consistant. Low shelf, More mass weight and all but the kodiaks are takedown models. It will not be the same for next fello shooter though. It will be completely different for the next guy or gal. My wife loves shooting the 52" Kodiak magnums. she shoots them well too. I have a difficult time shooting a one peice well because of their light weight, My bow arm tends to jump alot on shot so the Kmag isn't a great fit for me.
TGMM

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Finding the right bow is kinda like dating and marriage, except without all the drama and expense when you decided to trade for a new one.  And you get to keep your furniture.
Silence is golden.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Love JD's recurve...I shoot longbows mostly ... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
We search for the perfect for us bow. When you think you have it, it may or may not turn out that way. I ordered and waited a year for a brand new top shelf bow. It had everything anyone would want it any bow but we just never connected. I believe there is a special bond in the perfect for you bow that varies from person to person.

We all have different likes is the biggest reason one person will not like a bow but the next will. I know own three top notch bows (in my eye) and a Whisperstik Mojostik is one of them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
I have built bows for people with grip or wood choice that I wouldn't choose for myself.  I have also shot bows by other bowyers that make me want to cry because I know that I can't buy it.  I would personally love to try an Owl Bow by Ed Scott or one of Dryads all wood bows.  I also have a special place in my heart for all Great northern bows.  Rick and Jerry may not remember me, but I certainly remember them.  They were always willing to give bowyers advice to a new comer, instead of shunning me off like unwanted competition.  It wasn't until last year that I parted with my superghost.  JD

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Pretty interesting thread JD. I tend to agree that bows choose us. I myself have shot what I consider many bows and feel that only a certain few felt good to me. I was never a longbow guy until I received the one you sent me. I shoot that bow just like my takedown recurves. I will own another in the future. I believe it is just a matter of how the bow feels to an individual when he/she shoots it. I myself still like to shoot different bows. I guess it's great to live in a country where we have "choices". One thing I like about trying new bows is that I seem to make a new friend everytime I shoot one. That,MY FRIEND, is more important to me than any bow. Keep doing what your doing JD, you make a fine product. Not to mention your customer service is "TOP" in my eyes.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I hope the Kajika Stik I'm waiting on chooses me.   :D

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by sweeney3:
Finding the right bow is kinda like dating and marriage, except without all the drama and expense when you decided to trade for a new one.  And you get to keep your furniture.
sweeney3,

That is a great post!!! You should use it as a signature line!!!!!

Great Thread LBJ!!! It's the quest that makes the final prize fun!!!!

All the best to everyone's journey!!!
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
From my experience is dealing with bows...

Picture a large store with 20 Custom Bowyers inside all showing their wares...When a guy walks in and looks around, its like a 10 yr old walking into a candy store at Hershey Park Pa...

Eyes are bigger than his stomach and he finally chooses a "favorite". After a while he makes many returns and always seems to find something different that tickles his taste buds.

Same with stickbow shooters. We choose something right away because of appearance and are pleased with our choice. However, the more we "walk around" and look, we always have to try something new because of the way it looks, feels, shoots etc....

There's nothing wrong with the original item chosen, just human nature and our curiosity that takes over........
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Amen to sweeney3's post.  If I had found the perfect bow 12 years ago, I may not be married now. LOL. I got lucky enough to find a wife that puts up with my hunting affliction.  Just as I have found a bow to put up with my bad shooting days.  JD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©