3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do People Choose Bows....Or do bows Choose people?  (Read 756 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do People Choose Bows....Or do bows Choose people?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
after buying\\selling a lot of bows I found one that fits me perfect, a dryad orion td longbow, now I want to get into building my own glass bows so I can build a bow that is truly built for me, oh and I really like that new 3piece td longbow JD
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
JD, I'm still looking for that perfect bow. I enjoy the search. I would hate to go through life having only shot one or two different bows. I am finding a blessing in owning and shooting so many bows. Now I can narrow down the search and go back and custom order my favorite bows in the specs that suit me the best! I do however believe that one day a bow is going to show up on my door step in one of those pretty brown boxes that has been looking for me all along!   :bigsmyl:  

Thanks for the thread J.D.

-Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
My last bow chose me. It's a Bear Super-K just because I started with a Bear in the 60s! Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
I had 3 bows custom made for me and numerous more picked up here and there trying to find that ONE! It took a used Morrison from VM13 to find what I was looking for.   :D  It's a Morrison Shawnee with Dakota limbs. I just ordered an extra set of Arapaho limbs from Bob yesterday.

I still have quite a few, including the custom ones but, the Shawnee will be the go too bow and ultimate stayer! It was a fun journey but, now it's time to settle down and really have fun!   :bigsmyl:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Never thought of it...I am still relatively new to trad archery and picked up a used Bear recurve for my first. After that got a used Bear longbow and said goodbye to recurve forever! Was able to get my hands on a Robertson Heritage longbow and it picked me! Felt just right and shoots right where I wanted it (most of the time) But now have made the switch to LH and have had to start all over. I have another Robertson longbow and just last week picked up a Whisperstik VooDoo Stik longbow from here. Hard time picking between them so it is a work in progress. IMO it is all in the feel of the bow as to what fits a person best. Love the opportunity to try / buy new trad archery gear.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I've run through a lot of bows over the years.  I really like some aspects of some bows and different aspects of others.  Basically I need to spend some time with each to see what I like or don't like about a particular design.  What I look for is smoothness, quietness, forgiving at the shot, performance, and looks.  Pretty much in that order.  

I won't take performance or looks if it is noisy and/or touchy with any form flaw at the shot.  I've found what I like in a bow, and shoot what I like to shoot.  Which is what I think everyone should do to find the bow that works the best for them.  It's easy enough to buy/sell/and trade in the classifieds to try a lot of different bow designs to find what is right for you.  Plus it is fun...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
A wise old trad man once told me "You know not what you like until you've tried them all". Or maybe that was my Dad talking to me when I was a teenager.

That's all I got to say about that.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
K....TJ: Was he talking about bows or women!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Exactly
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
When in it comes to bows, I am of the original Mormon faith.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
David, no worries when you die we will chisel "East Coast Bow Pimp" into your grave marker.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
not to choose sides or anything... i understand how people want to shoot different bows because of a change in personal taste, or age creaps up on them and they look for a lower draw weight bow. how do people get or remain consistent in shooting when they change bows like they change their underwear... just an observation.... not meant to ruffle any feathers here
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Broketooth, Shooting different bows and hunting with different bows is defferent in my eyes. I'll shoot a bunch of bows in the off season but about a month before the season I stick to one bow. Toward the end of the season I might tinker a bit but I mainly use one bow to hunt with that year.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
David, no worries when you die we will chisel "East Coast Bow Pimp" into your grave marker.  
Can't stop holding my side!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I am superstitious, I think certain bows are meant to be with certain people. I  was at a store with my wife and noticed a Martin Savannah on the wall. THe salesman dropped the price by two hundred and my wife bought me the bow. You can't tell me that bow wasn't made for me, it was meant to be.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
First impressions go along way.  The first few shots someone takes with a bow leave a lasting impression.  Before a bow leaves my shop I spend a lot of time shooting it and getting it tuned perfectly for me.  The problem is the customer has a different shooting style and different arrows.  The bow needs to be adjusted for that person's individual style/set up when they get it.  Maybe sometimes people make a judgement on a bow without really taking the time to tune it and set it up.  
At shoots where I am a vendor, when somebody wants to demo a bow I try to get them to take some of my arrows with them to the range as I know they will shoot well out of the bow.  Chad

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
ROTFLMAO! "Bow Pimp"

Well, as you all know I go through a bunch of Bows. I just love the feel of a fine bow in my hands. Now, I cannot shoot a self bow for squat but would love to be able to. I have found what works for me,yeah there are 7 or 8 different bows on the rack and I whoot them all almost daily. When I have a hunt planned, I stick to the one bow and the back up I am taking on the hunt. But with the bows I have I find I can pick any one of them and shoot it just fine, any one of them! Same arrow out of every bow. Life is too short to shoot only one bow, it is all fun.

We all choose bows for our own personal likes or dislikes, but yes I do believe eventually a certain bow will choose the shooter, what lights my candle in looks and style of shooting may not be what chooses someone else.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I am always drawn to bows that I find aesthetically pleasing but in the end I always end up with the one I shoot the best.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
It's funny, but I build my own and am still always looking for another.  I built my perfect hunting bow when I built "Bloody Mary".  I thought I was ready for a straight handle.  The first shooting session was awesome, but I've had bad days since.  I have found that straight handle easy for me to grip a little off and it really affects my shooting at times.  This morning I was carving on it!  Now it's got a locator grip and a little smaller.  Perfect, for now!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
I,ve bought,traded and sold alot of great bows,still kicking myself over some of them,I have recently been shooting one bow and I have seen an improvement in my shooting but I stll cruise the classifieds drooling over my next puchase.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©