3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How-To: Make a shoot- through bowfishing reel  (Read 914 times)

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
How-To: Make a shoot- through bowfishing reel
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Ok well i have gotten a few requests for a how-to for a shoot through bowfishing reel. Here it is!!
Materials:
5 Gal. bucket
Hack saw
Jig saw
pop rivets
2 aluminum L brackets
Razor blade or file
Electrical tape
Yellow nylon string or bowfishing line

First, cut the top lip of the bucket off

its pretty easy to just start the cut with the hack saw, then go around the whole thing with the jig saw.

Next you have to cut the whole top off, this will make the whole reel.

After the top is cuz off, go around the rough edges with the razor blade or file to take off the burls. I think a razor works aolt better. Make sure the razor is at a 90 degree angle to the bucket so you don't gouge it. I know I'm not doing it perfectly in the picture but i had to take the picture =P

Ok, so after everything is nice and smooth, we have to put the L brackets on. Just clamp them down, making sure they are at 90 degrees, and drill 2 holes that are the right size for the rivets. Do this on both sides, opposite from each other. Squeze the sides of the bucket to allow room for the drill. Also, you have to do one rivet at a time, otherwise you wont be able to position the second hole. So drill one, pop one, drill one, pop one, etc.

After that this is what you should have

next, drill a hole in the space with the rivets in it, this will be for your fishing line. Pass the line through and tie a few knots so it doesn't come back out. wrap the line around the reel whichever way is easiest, i have mine wraped clockwise. then make a little notch so you can hold the string so it doesn't fly off the reel all the time.

Next, wrap the sticking out part of the L bracket in a few layers of electrical tape, 2-3 layers will do fine.

then attach the two brackets to your bow, making sure that where the arrow will go is as centered at possible.

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How-To: Make a shoot- through bowfishing reel
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Continued..
Then attach your fishing arrow. Start with a fishing knot. here is a good video of how to put on your arrow with the AMS safety slide system after you have made your fishing knot.

FINALLY this is what you should end up with!!!

So there it is!!! when your shooting fish make sure you or someone else has gloves on to bring the fish in, otherwise the line will cut your hands. Also, you can keep the line in the little notch and shoot without taking the line out of it, the line won't get cuaght on it, so it is very convientient =D.Please let me know of any changes you have made, or how well the reel works. Thanks to my dad, who helped make most of the reel. (his hands are steadier than mine)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Now that is impressive! Nicely done.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Good job!!
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
That is SO cool! Thanks.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Thats just what Ive been waiting for, that will be my set up on my Dryad fishing bow.Thanks.

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
yay I'm glad you guys all like it!!! if you have any questions just ask =] Thanks for giving it a try!! post up pictures of the fish you get with this reel haha!!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Used a bucket-top reel for years.  they don't hang up, they are faster than anything out there to reload, and if a fish yanks one in the drink on you, you are out a buck and a half.

Good stuff.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks for posting im going to use this, this year
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
thats what I'm  talkin about!  I could totally use that with a self bow or even my kanati.....but I think I would put a few layers a saran wrap   on the limbs before taping on those brackets.
very nice! thank you!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Deadpool;

What I used to do was take the electrical tape aroudnt he bracket, then stick it to itself for the first six or eight inches.  That gave me more tape for cushion under the bracket and kept the tape residue off my bow...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Very simple, very cool. Thanks for posting!
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
hey jeff thanks for the tip, but just wondered, wont the space made by the cushioned bracket cause it to move around everytime the real gets bumped or tugged?

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
hey jeff thanks for the tip, but just wondered, wont the space made by the cushioned bracket cause it to move around everytime the real gets bumped or tugged?

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
It will wiggle a bit, but that's all.  Electrical tape has enought give that it's gonna do that anyway.

Nice job on the pictorial, Ryan.  Your bucket reel looks a lot smoother than the few I made.   ;)

Offline CCWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Madon,
Thanks for posting that video.

drrrrrrr
I feel stupid now.

I will be using that this year.
Cool rig you got there also.
Maryland Bowhunters Society

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
putting too much tape on the bow will cuase it to move alot which i found with my prototype. But electrical tape didn't leave and residue at all on my bow, but if you want to put seran wrap i think the only thing it will do is protect the bow a little more. All up to you!! =]

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!!! I know the thing is crude but its the best a 16 year old could do hahaha. And it works!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
I have always liked a "shoot-through" reel and used them alot years ago. Thanks for the "how to" I plan on making one as soon as I can find an "un-spoken for" bucket.(all of mine are "busy" right now)

Just a suggestion.....You could use a couple of the "fuzzy" side pieces of velcro on the mounting brackets. I have them on the old Bear tape-on reel that I'm using now,they don't scratch the bow at all.   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GBTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
How would a little smaller bucket work....something in the ice cream pail size? I have some 2-3 gallon size buckets around and 3 kids to outfit!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©