3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How-To: Make a shoot- through bowfishing reel  (Read 913 times)

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How-To: Make a shoot- through bowfishing reel
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
That is a great plan!  If my regular reel doesn't work out, I'll be making one of these.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
GBTG, i think that the smaller ice cream buckets may work fine, they may be too small to clear the handle and thicker part of the bow, this would bend the reel and maybe mess up the way the line comes off of the reel. but if it is a smaller kid's bow i don't see why it wont work! =]

And Doug, is your regular reel plan store bought or done yourself? just wondering

Ryan

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Madon, Years ago, when I bow fished alot, I used one almost exactly like yours.  The only thing different was, I made another small slot on the bottom of the reel to put the line when you started winding.  The reason for this was we fished for Big Gator Gar, and had a jug or float attatched to the end of the string.  It will let all the line go and pull the jug overboard, then you just chase the jug.  If you've ever had one of those prehistoric fish take your fishing bow home with 'em, you best give it a try with a jug.
Just my thoughts.  Had a bunch of fun.  Same thing shooting rays in the Mobile Bay.  Just some of the perks, when living on the RedNeck Riveria!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Would it be possible to put this in the how to section so it is always available?

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
Well, shoot-fire!!!

I know what I'm doing with my current bow as soon as I get a second!  Nevermind it's a longbow!!!
Micah 6:8

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
In old days, when was really low on funds (now just barely hanging on anymore).  I took an old Maxwell house coffee can, the small size, drilled a hole in bottom of can, took a wire hanger, and bent it to a spring, slipped it in the hole, then reached in the front and opened it.  Worked okay.  then I made another, and drilled two holes in can 1" from bottom opposite each other, and can wire through there, much better, used tape to put it on bow.  Not the greatest, but only thing I had and we ate.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the how to.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Good thinking!
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
Ok, I noticed something and want to clarify....

It appears that you wrap the line on BEHIND the middle lip...  Is that correct?

Only thing I can figure is maybe it throws the line outward slightly and improves feeding?  If so, the line may not even touch the flat part on the front.  Like a spinning reel with the lip on the front of the spool.  At first I thought I was looking at it backwards or that it wouldn't work as shown but I figured it'd just be best to ask.

I'm guessing I'd need to look through the buckets I have available and make sure that particular lip is smooth and undamaged eh?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
yes Dave the line is wrapped behind the middle lip. This makes sure all the line doesn't come off the reel, and to improve feeding

Offline Madon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
grr still waiting for the rivers to clear up... does anyone know of any place to go in northern Illinois???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©