3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots factory bows?  (Read 654 times)

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots factory bows?
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
I just bought a Bear Super-K & am having a ball tuning & shooting it. Factory suggests a 8"-9" brace height & I've found mine likes a 9" brace height. It was unforgiving & noisy till I got to 9" then quieted down & became very easy to shoot. I bought it for nostalgic reasons as I started with a Bear bow in the 60s & wanted to experience shooting a Bear again. Now I'm really getting to like this bow. It won't replace my HH, but will become a hunting bow. Anyone else? Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots factory bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
I  had a few Martin bows there for a while but found them pretty ordinary.  Then I had a fling there for a long time with custom bows.  They cost me a fortune but I ended up with two nice ones - my Jim Jones bow and my Turkey Creek.

However the best of them all and the bow I use all the time is a factory bow - my new Pittsley Predator.  What an awesome bow.  Fit and finish just as good as my customs and the wonderful thing is I don't have to send the riser off if I wish to order new limbs - just buy them and whack them on.

There are benefits of a factory bow - some of the small companies I bought bows off have closed down and are no longer in business.  Not so good if you want replacements or have warranty issues.  A lot of the smaller guys working two jobs took ages to get back to me and answer emails.  However working with a company like Pittsley has been great - awesome service and the best recurve bow in the business.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I also shoot a Bear SK and love it!  My buddy shoots a Black Widow and to be honest I would much rather shoot my bow than his.  I want to invest in a newer, nicer bow and I'm on the fence of factory or hand-made...I really have no access to shoot different types of bows where I live so I'm just taking my time.  I shot the Hoyt Dorado yesterday at a local dealer and it is one of the smoothest bows I have ever shot...period.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Frank....i'm a Hill shooter but am currently having an affair with a Hoyt Dorado....a sweet sweet shooter. I've had many "production" bows inc Bears and Martins/Howatts. my old Super K  was one of the sweetest bows i've ever shot and my Martin Hunter threw a heavy arrow with amazing speed and accuracy. like you i'm enjoying going back to the 'curve just like my younger days when afield i'd have a strung Bear  or Hoyt Pro Hunter....my Hills are getting jealous.....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
That's all I've ever had is production bows.I LOVE my grizzly,but I shot some customs recently and they pretty much ruined me.lol  :readit:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
My issue with some "factory" bows is that they charge way more than a custom bow.  Just look at what Bear take downs cost.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Here's some of mine.  I have to make an updated pict

ure with the rest, someday.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I love my Martin(Hatfield) and Bear bows. Both shoot great, I own a "custom" bow but always go back to that Martin for hunting.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Do you consider Black Widow and A&H to be factory bows?

Note: This isnt a slam at either, in the slightest. I think they are great bows and I would be happy to own either.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
:wavey:  
Bears, Pearsons, Howatts, Herters, what's not to like?

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
My issue with some "factory" bows is that they charge way more than a custom bow.  Just look at what Bear take downs cost.
Ain't that the truth!
The last I read I think this one was $4000.00

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I had a Bear Montana LB and it was a great factory bow. My Predator II recurve was made by Darton when Pittsley worked for them, so I guess that makes it a factory production bow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
You guys picked the two most expensive Bear bows in the history of the company.  There are other factory bows, so I'm not sure how that could be an issue.   Bear made myriad other models that shot great and got plenty of folks into archery.
If you asked this question forty years ago, the answer would have been, "just about everyone."

By the way....my expensive Shakespeare Necedah shoots great and I paid $77.00 for it.  The guy was nice though and said he would take payments.
  :saywhat:    :p

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I had forgotten that I, too, had a Necedah years ago. I remember being very satisfied with it as well.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
I have two Martin Savannah's and they are both great shooters.They are fine by me,I have had quite a few Martin's.

Offline sethdiggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
My only bow is a Damon Howatt and its fine for me!
Damon Howatt Coronado 60" 45#@28

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I have shot Bear bows since the early 60's and I own some custom bows and the Bear bows shoot just fine for me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
All I shoot right now are factory bows... 'course, they all came out of the factory before 1960  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
You may look at old factory bows in a different light once you get trounced a time or two on the range by someone shooting an old Shakespeare, Bear, Wing, Howatt, etc.    :saywhat:    :p

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replys Ladies & Gentlemen. I have a couple custom bows too, but I'm really getting to like my Super-K,however my primary bow is a Hill Big 5. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©