3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Abowyer Bonehead or brown bear  (Read 708 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Abowyer Bonehead or brown bear
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I am considering going to a single bevel head, either the Abowyer 135 grain Bonehead or the 175 grain Brown bear. Hunting only whiitetails in the northeast, anyone have opinions on these two? The Brown Bear looks more like the Grizzly profile, I wonder if the bonehead is just as effective? Opinions?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Abowyer Bonehead or brown bear
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Good question.  I just bought the Wapiti with which I plan to hunt elk and deer.  It's a little longer than the small bonehead, but a little shorter and a little wider than the Brown Bear.  I like to put a big hole in critters, and that's why I opted for the slightly bigger head.  The Brown bear would probably penetrate a bit better compared to the bonehead if you're shooting a light bow, but you would probably shoot through a deer with either of them.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I think all other things being equal, a longer broadhead will cut more stuff and stay sharper, so I'd go with the longer one.  I stopped at the Aboyer shop last week.  HIGH QUALITY is all I can say   :thumbsup:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I used the Abowyer Bonehead on a Michigan Whitetail.

These heads are designed for big, tough, game animals. Whitetails are no match for them.

I used the left bevel heads with left wing feathers. My arrow went through the "pocket". I got a wide entry and exit, but I did not get the noted "s" shape entry the single bevel heads are noted for.

Abowyer heads are top quality and well suited to hunt anything.

The wider profile of the Bonehead may be the better choice for Whitetails, providing the energy from your hunting set-up allows the choice of a wider cutting head.

An excellent head for any animal...anywhere.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
I had the privilage of visiting the shop for ABowyer heads last week and handling the heads in person.

I ordered BrownBears too use on Texas hogs and probably elk.  They are very well built and are priced well for such a premium head design.

I also got a look at the penetration tests they have run on plywood and aluminum.  Pretty impressive.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
I went with the bonehead and 75gr steel adapter for a 210gr broadhead.The bonehead also had alittle bigger cut at 1.25" so far I have killed a half dozen hogs and have had no issues.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
All of the head designs are great.  The Brown Bear was the one that spoke too me as I was looking them over.  Something about that 3-1 ratio that really fits my eye.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I agree with the 3-1 ratio.I've shot zwicky single bevel I made 25 years ago.I did this because an old selfbowyer,hunter,friend I meet 18years ago.He built and shot selfbows for 50 years.He made single bevel trade points those and knapped points is all ever shot.His was 3-1ratio points.Looked perty much like ABOWERS points.I've killer 6 bucks with a recurve and 33 with selfbows,But this spring starting with turkey season thats what i'm going be shooting. shooting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Bonebuster, that head is pretty stubby.  Some of the torque of the single bevel is created by the length of the blade, the longer the blade the more torque it creates.  My guess would be that is the reason you didn't get the "S" cut.

I've applied single bevels to some of the stubbier Magnus heads, and while they rotated I did not get an "S" entry either.  I do get the "S" with longer heads like Grizzlies, Tuskers and even the Zwickey No Mercy, although it is not as pronounced with the Zwickey as the other two.

As far as the Abowyer's go, they look like a great head and I've not heard a single negative about them.  I'll have to give one a test someday.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks SlowBow. That explanation makes sense.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
I'm getting some brown bears when available. I have time to mess with different final weights. Does anyboby recomend against the aluminum adapters due to breakage or bending if heavy bone is hit.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I got a bunch of Brown Bears for my son and me to use on Hogs and Elk; so far they are looking good in the quiver!  :bigsmyl:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Who makes the Brown Bear? I'd like to take a look at them. Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Are they pre sharpened, or do you have to sharpen?

Thanks

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline BRIAN DECH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Snag, the BrownBear is made by Abowyer Inc and we are a sight sponser feel free to contact me directly at 616 677 5850 or [email protected] if you have any questions about our products
Amicus, They do need to be sharpened by the end user however they require very little work and sharpen quite easily.
Stalkin4elk the brown bears are being finished this week, we should be shipping by Mon. So if you have an order in you will see them soon. Also I have not had any trouble with the aluminum adaptors and wouldnt hesitate to use them on medium sized game.
Brian Dech
Abowyer Inc

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
i'm a brown bear man now myself and love these things!!  they sharpen even easier than my old stos, which were my favorites until these.  so far, just killed a bunch of small game with them but they were tough as nails, held their edge, and resharpened to hair popping perfction.  sure hated losing one, but oh well.  that's just part of the game.
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
From what I've seen of the ABowyer heads you really couldn't go wrong with either of them.  For me personally, I like long-lean heads.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Any of you Brown Bear users seen the "s" pattern or have had an experience with the brown bear hitting heavy bone?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Elbow,

I haven't shot anything or for that matter got my heads yet as they weren't ready when I was up there.

I did see a demo using a pc of 3/4" plywood.  They shot all of their models and some of the other very high priced heads into the wood from 10 yds.  All of the ABowyer heads did well in penetration but the Brown Bear blew through. . TWICE with no damage and then was shot into a pc of 1/4 plate aluminum and penetrated 1/2 way through.  The tip was dinged with the metal hit.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Mike,

Those test pieces impressed the heck out of me.  Larry should black out the names of the competitors heads and post some pictures...

I did see the "s" pattern in the wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©