3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deja Vu all over again  (Read 295 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Deja Vu all over again
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
Last night's bowhunt for turkey was very satisfying.  Didn't come home with anything, but certainly not unsuccessful.  Took my 6- and 8-year old daughters out.  Really tested their patience, but 3.5 hours later we finally had action with a small bunch of turkeys getting in on us from the backside.  Unfortunately a big old hen came in first to inspect the decoys and the others were slow to follow.  

I've got a Double Bull equipped with the two big net windows on one corner.  Think it works better for kids and for a stickbow guy like myself.  They got to see this hen up close and personal and all puffed up at maybe 5 yards.  Very cool.  One jake came in close enough, but not where I had windows open.  I repositioned my one daughter and when the jake faced away I dropped the window and tried a quick shot but just shaved some feathers off his side from an awkward angle.

Anyway, I had coached them pretty heavily ahead of time about needing to be very quiet if turkeys showed up.  And when it was all over my youngest girl said, "I was being very quiet.  I even tried to get my heart to be quiet."  When I asked for clarification she said she tried to hold her breath to make her heart get quiet because she could hear her own heart.

Man, what a flashback to a time when I was probably 8 or 10 and with my dad.  I'd been carrying a .410 double and killed a squirrel earlier but as evening came on, we were deer hunting and Dad carried a Bear recurve.  Suddenly we had three does all around us when we were on the ground (no blind) and Dad buried an arrow into a tree.  I remember my knee bouncing and my heart racing...  I remember that vividly 35+ years later to this day, and I hope my daughters will recall last night similarly.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deja Vu all over again
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Very cool!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline kevin heath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Its always awesome to hunt with your kids aint it?
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...Thomas Jefferson

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
:clapper:  Man what a great  day you had!! Sounds to me that you already have the trophy of a lifetime
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing Wary Buck, that is so neat. I remember my first exciting hunting experience. A cow elk barking at my brother, father and me just ten yards away. I was holding back the tears I was so scared, remember it like it happened yesterday.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Turkey blinds are made for this kind of connection with kids. Bryce, you are blessed. Mike

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
As GOOD as it GETS!  Will be a cherished memory  for the rest of your life AND THEIRS!  Cool for taking us along.  Thanks

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
I remember my son was in a car seat when I called him in his first turkey. The hen came to within twenty yards of the truck. He was only two or three years old. HE doesn't remember it but I sure do.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©