3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Houston, TX Archery  (Read 519 times)

Offline kkhouston

• Trad Bowhunter
Houston, TX Archery
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
I would like to look into longbow archery, but not really sure where to start.  Anyone with any info in Houston?

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Houston, TX Archery
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Could you be a little more specific, I live north of  Houston.  I am willing to assist in anyway I can.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
There is a few of us who shoot, hunt and hang out together west of town (near Katy).  One of the guys (Bonner) lives Northwest off 290.
There are also some pretty good 3D shoots in the area (mostly northeast) if you don't mind the drive.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Southwest Houston here, what kind of info are you looking for?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
soon to be Needville archer. But not in till mid to late June of 09.

Offline TexasAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm glad this came up. I just moved to Cypress and was wondering if there are any local shops around here.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I live in cypress TexasAg. There s a range at the NW freeway Gander Mountain and one In Rosehill called Wood n Feather. PM me and we'll shoot some time.

Bonner

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
There are several shops in the Houston area

Viking Archery SouthWest Houston, Texas
BowZone Spring, Texas
Bass Pro in Pearland and Katy.
Gander Mountain, Sugar Land, Northwest Houston and North Houston.

In my opinion none of them have a great traditional selection, the best I would have to say is one of BPS or Viking.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Guys, Kevin is my cousin. Thanks for helping him out any way you can. He could use some hands-on if someone has some time. What he is looking for specifically is an all Trad Shop. Most of the shops that cross-dress get really confusing for a new to trad guy. Any all trad shops in the greater Houston area? Kevin is needing help from the ground up. I'm just to far away to lend the kind of help he needs. Lets start with a bow. He's looking into longbows, then arrows,etc. Kevin is a real big guy with a gorilla draw length. I'd say that a bow around 66" and some arrows around 30-31". This is what the thread is all about, a place to shop locally.

Paul, I forgot you were in the big city. Can't wait to see you in camp next month. I'm fired up about them monster desert boars!

Looks like you've found some help. Most Trad guys will go way out of their way to help out. Kinda cool, hu?  CK

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Kevin, When I get down to The Holy Land AKA Tejas AKA The Lone Star State AKA TEXAS. I'll be more then happy to help anyway I can.

Going by what I remember and seen posted here. I don't think there is an all Trad shop in the area, I may be wrong. I found when I got in to the trad world that shops like that where few & far between. TradGang is a great place to find info and help. You now have a half dozen or so tradganger's willing to help anyway they can.

I would say try some of the shops that are posted here first and look at the bows they do have. Find your true draw length and then find the weight you feel good at pulling. I know this sounds funee, but this is what I did when I started. After that finding a bow will be a lot easier.

You might also look in the classifieds here for a bow. Cheaper then getting a new one, plus You may start off with a lower weight. Then you can move up in weight after a few weeks/months.

To everyone else: is there any trad shoots going to happen anytime soon?
   This is also a good way to find the right bow for you Kevin. Try as many as you can. You'll never know You may like recurved bows better.

Maybe there is someone out there that has a Self bow that might work for you too. Might even think about trying to make your own bow. I know CK has made 1 or 2 in his Time ( Wsup CK? I hope you & Your Family is doing good) If I was way better at making bows I would make you one... As for arrows.. Find your bow and I'll be more then happy to help/make some arrows for you.

Offline kkhouston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Well Curtis, you said I wouldn't have any problem getting help/info.  Thanks for the tip.  To all you who offered advice and help, many thanks!

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
To everyone else: is there any trad shoots going to happen anytime soon?
Arpil 18 and 19 Hill Country Shootout in Vanderpool

Chester is the first part of May
Longbow championship at the end of May
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
the best archery range in the area is at Buffalo Field Archery Club (founded in 1948)

http://www.buffaloarchery.org/
Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Wood N Feather outside of Tomball, Texas was supposed to close down at the end of January. Don't know if it did.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Kevin,

What part of Houston are you in? I would like to know that first because Houston is such a big city that what might work for me would be worthless to you becuase it would take you an hour without traffic to get there.

As far as I have found there are no total trad only shops in Houston. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong because I would like to know. Viking Archery seems to have the best selection of traditional stuff, but the last few times I was there, their whole stock was down.

Saltgrass  http://www.saltgrass.org/
Buffalo as mentioned before.

There are a few more places, but they are a bit south of Houston. PM me if you want more.

Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
You might also check out Brazoria county Bowmen in West Columbia,Tx.They used to put on some very good shoots too and had Trad devision if I rember correctly but it has been several years since I lived down there.
David

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
I wish someone would open up a trad shop in Houston.
I'm envious of the trad only shops I see up in the northern states.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline kkhouston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
As far as my location, I live in west Houston, (Katy) but work in north Houston (45 and West Rd).

Thanks again to all for your help.  Think I will be hitting a few shops up this weekend.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I've PM'd a few of you regarding Viking Archery with the phone number. Chester, you are correct. They are the largest archery dealer south of the Mason Dixon Line. Scott & Kevin Whiteford run this office for their parents who retired and opened another shop in Marble Falls, Tx. Either of the boys will help you. I watched them grow up there. Both are walking archery encyclopedias. David Quinn still has a shop as well at Hillcrest Archery I think. His daughter shot his bow in the Olympics. Buffalo Field is an outdoor treasure. We also have Salt Grass near Galveston in Sante Fe.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Don't forget Santa Fe Archery in Santa Fe, TX. They dabble a little in trad. Also, Leach custom bows is down the road from Santa Fe Archery in Texas City.

There's also Salt Grass Archery range in the back of Jack Brooks Park in Hitchcock (it's just down the road from the dog track).

Banana bend used to have shoots as well.

None of these clubs are trad only though...

KK, you're in luck as there are quite a few trad shooters in the area around Katy. I would guess around a dozen guys.

Dan Bonner, who posted earlier, also builds bows...
Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©