3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arizona elk!  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
Arizona elk!
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Well I just found out that my cousin and I both drew archery Arizona elk tags for this year.   I am some kind of fired up!  Now I have a lot of research to do.  The unit we drew is 6A North.  If anyone knows anything about this unit I would love to hear about it, good or bad.

Both of us shoot ACS CX's mine is 58# and my cousin's is 55#.  Looking forward to getting an opportunity at some good elk.  Good thing I started my workout program 2 months ago.  I will be ready when it comes time.

Thanks for listening.  Cade
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arizona elk!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Awesome!!  You gotta love elk hunting!! Your excitement & enthusiasm will carry you through until Sept.! (grin) Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
That's awesome. Which sub unit?  I have read that 20% of the whole state Elk population occupies that area and that many of the state's mature bulls are taken from there. Best of luck.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Congrats!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Best of luck to you guys!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Bowhunting elk in Arizona ... you guys are some kind of lucky!!! Good luck, take lots of pictures and make sure to give a thorough report of your hunt to your Trad gang buddies!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Yeah, you got the lucky part right.  We drew this tag with 1 bonus point.  I should probably go buy a lottery ticket.

Paul, I hope to get to put some of your elk calling tactics to work.  Great instructional videos by the way.

Cade

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Wow!  Just looking at those draw results is probably as exciting as calling in a big bull!
I got the big "No Thank You" from AZ.  This was my first time putting in for a point - hope I am as lucky as you next year!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
YOU DOG YOU!!!!!

Enjoy! I drew the oh so covetted tag several years back. Saw 29 bulls in 8 days, 19 where 6x6 or better!

What an incredible experience!  :clapper:

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Congrats there Big Sneaky. I also got drawn for elk in unit 6b. Both of these units are good elk hunting. Mine is for cow but both have some huge bulls in it. I wish you the best of luck. I am going to use the new static recurve I just built and see if it will be my lucky curve. Have waited a long time for this.....I am stoked!!!!!!!

Chortdraw

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Chortdraw, I hope you can get one with that bow you built.  That would be the ultimate.  

Do you know if a fellow can get away from the crowds in 6A North.  I am one of those guys who likes a little solitude.  The unit seems a little small compared to the amount of tags issued.  I really didn't expect to draw this tag this year so I'm having to change my mindset a little.  Needless to say I am some kind of excited!

Cade

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Can't believe it but I just got the news I have drawn a 6A Bull tag along with a friend of mine. Took 9 pts for us! You guys were really lucky getting in with one point! Charles Suttles [man, its gonna be a long summer]

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Must admit I'm jealous! Glad to hear you drew an awesome tag. I'm still waiting on a couple of chances. Hope to see some great pictures and read a story! Kind of puts a different look on the days ahead, doesn't it?!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I was drawn in 5B North a few years back....pretty country in there.

Good luck.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
I drew a 5B South tag a few years ago.  Elk were VERY plentiful!!  You will have a blast!!

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Take a look at the two quiet Zones...The rattlesnake quiet zone by Stoneman lake has been good to me over the years..... I'll be chasin cows in 6A South....... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Glad you also got drawn Terry. 5b South is our usual stomping ground but we saw a lot of Elk in 6b so we put it for our first choice. We hunt tree rats all over 5b. Just came back from the archery range and had a great time with the new bow. Have a longbow at the same draw weight as the new recurve but had to jump up one size in shafts so I have a heavier shaft which is what I had hoped for. We will also be hunting turkey in May, in 6b so we can do a lot of scouting in the area.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Cade, you can find some good areas if you tent camp and get back off the roads a bit. There are a lot of Elk in that unit and the hunters move them around a lot. There will be a lot of road hunters too so you should be ok. Pretty area, sort of looks a lot like Colo.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
i heard from the primos boys that unit 16 (cottonwood) is the spot.but you arent to far from there i hope.you should have a great hunt and see lots of bulls anywhere over there.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
We will be up the hill from Cottonwood about 20 miles. I hope I don't see too many bulls as I have a cow permit. But they are so much fun to watch it is always a blast......Chort

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©