3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fur, Fin, and Feather...Southern Style!  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fur, Fin, and Feather...Southern Style!
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
Watching the dogs work on the birds was a big thrill for me, and brought back a lot of memories. My Brittney "Ruger" had to be put down a couple years ago, just a week shy of his 15th birthday.This was the first time around any pointers doing what they live for....made me realize how much I miss my Ol' boy.......

Jeff's dogs were great and it wasn't long at all and we were flinging arrows. I'll let some pix and vid's tell a bit.....the sound is pretty bad because of the howling wind.....
Pheasant....

Quail....

The Quail in this pasture were bonus leftovers from a previous hunt. Most of the birds we did manage to kill with our bows were, as Don put it, "assassinated" , or shot on the ground(after all,we were shootin' bows). We mostly let Sky and Chase shoot first and once the bird got moving, if they missed, it was on! We knew within a second it would be airborn and more than likely killed by our back-up gunners after we made the "sky black with arrows" and all yelled about how close we were on every shot! I will say this though, a lot of the birds weren't shot at on the ground and were only shot at once flushed. It's hard to imagine having any more fun with a bow than we were having! After years and years of wanting to do this, I finally was getting the chance and it was an absolute blast!!!!!

My biggest surprise came when, as a big rooster pheasant flushed and flew quartering away...I watched my big yellow carbon express flu-flu catch up to him....and actually hit the bird accross the back and down he went! I couldn't believe it! I'd actually taken one out of the air!

When I picked up the bird I could see that I'd only taken feathers off his back and what really brought him down was a broken wing....I was thrilled!!!!!

I don't think it was five minutes later, another point...we lined up...Jeff flushed another big rooster...he went up on front of us and some arrows started flying...but as he hit the wind...he turned into it...crossed over the line of shooters and headed out the back door....

I couldn't couldn't even draw to shoot until he cleared the line of shooters...but as he got behind us...quicker than I can tell....I turned and drew...swung and released....The arrow hit him square thru the vitals and went in till about equal amounts were out both sides.....

To say I was a little excited would be an understatement!  I guess knocking two out of the air was more than I could take (and certainly unexpected)...I went a little crazy as raw emotion just poured out...My reaction even took me by surprise, so I bet the other guys were a little taken back...I wouldn't have been more excited if I'da killed a P&Y 12 pt!!!

Having Dad there to see it and share it....well....'nuff said....

some pix of JC and Chase(Firebird)......

More in a little bit......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Here is a few of Curt VERY excited and a few others.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
A few Pheasant Pics.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
A few Quail Pics.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
We had a LOT of close calls on the Pheasants and the Quail...We grazed, shot thru wing feathers, and Shot thru the tail feathers several times. The Pheasants were just tough. They would fly off with an Arrow sticking out of them....The Quail was awesome Fun but VERY hard to hit running on the ground and NEARLY impossible on the wing, but that's another story for someone else to tell.....And it's a good one......We think we shot 200-300 arrows at those flying Quail.....A person would think missing any thing that many times would irratating and flustrating but it was Great fun and I think everyone would do it again in a heart beat.....I know that we are already planning it......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Here is a few of the Dogs working......    
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
We can't wait to come back down and do it again bud!! I feel like coming back down and hanging with you guys right now. But hopefully you'll come up for Muzzy in Aug.

I did end up with a souvenir arrow....I'd hit a pheasant on the ground as it tried to get away in a real thick pile of brush....then he gathered up and took flight with my flu-flu hanging out of him... arrows flew, and shots rung out and I could tell Don's dad Hershel had hit it with his last blast.

He said..."I bet that arrow ain't any good no more"...when we finally recovered the bird in some thick stuff, I pulled the arrow out and could plainly see where 5 pellets had hit and splintered my arrow. This was the same arrow I'd taken my two birds out of the air with, so I ended up with a very cool memento of an unforgettable hunt.

The best shot of the day was yet to come, and Skyler can tell that story   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Curt's two shots that skewered those pheasants are the two finest shots I've ever seen. I mean, wicked accurate, right through the middle.

I blew through tail feathers, clipped wing feathers, even physically bounced an arrow off one because of the angle...but man, Guru just flat smoked them.

I'll say it without any reservation at all: after missing so many, I dealt it to one on the ground and there he stayed.

There was a second one with a broken leg that 3 fellers shot at on the ground and missed...I just couldn't hold back any longer so I took that one too. Curt, you got the video of that one?

We clipped quail, skimmed quail, and more often than not missed them by a mile. I found it impossible to lead them far enough on a crossing shot and to get the bow drawn, anchor and release before they had hit 4th gear.

Man oh man, what a time. Next time I think we'll forgo the pheasant and stick with the quail. But I'll be practicing before hand and build me some snaros too!

Don, you gotta show the pic of Sky and the condor cut quail...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  

Simply Awesome!!!!  As curt put it, how could you have any more fun with a bow!!!

Way to go guys, glad you were able to enjoy the experience, and thanks for sharing it with us!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
What a great weekend..a dream hunt for sure.

Really enjoyed the stories and pics.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Jake Allen

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Pictures, story telling, great job guys!
I have enjoyed this thread and thanks for taking the time to post it.  :clapper:  
What a great trip.
TGMM Family of the Bow
NGT, TBG, SGTP & Compton's
Ye Olde Fartes & Sore Losers

Offline Firebird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Good shootin curt ole buddy  :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Thanx guys.....as most everyone knows, those are the kind of shots ya make when nobody is around to witness them...it was great to have all you guys theer to share my good fortune    :notworthy:  

Some more pix I forgot to post with my last post....

Next up...the after lunch quail hunt...and the best shot of the day.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
When we got out of the truck at the quail field, the dogs were pointed. After shooting at a few on the ground and shooting at a bunch in the air, we had finally made it to the other end of the field. The dogs pointed one in a clump of grass. We got lined up, me on the end, and Chase went in for the flush. The quail got up and flew to the left. I seem to remember Dad saying "Sky,Sky!" as I drew back. I don't ever remember releasing, but the next thing I knew feathers were flying everywhere. I was extremely excited!  :bigsmyl:    :)    :campfire:  
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Skyler, That is the COOLEST story I ever heard. Michael
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Quotes from the Hunt............
"I can find new guides, just don't shoot my dogs"
Jeff Ferguson, owner, at the pre-hunt talk....I THINK he was kidding  :)  

"I don't really think them Arrows would hurt that bad" One of the guides  :scared:  

"Man, I just barely missed" This was EVERYONE numerous times through-out the day  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey everyone it looks like we might have a ST. JUDES Pheasant/Quail combo Hunt in the Works for the upcoming Auction........Would anyone be interested in this hunt??????
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Way to go Sky a Quail out of the air! now thats Impressive    :scared:

Congrats Bro
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks EVERYONE for the compliments...that shot made my day. Andy, I absolutely love my quiver. It is comfortable, easy to use, holds alot of arrows, and has a cap that goes over the top and a carbon drain in the bottom. I think you would like it alot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©