3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why wool?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why wool?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Yes wool is heavy.  You certainly do get to make your own choice.  

I like wool when it is cool or cold.  I wear it out west and I wear it at home in WI.   I wear it at work and I wear it outside while working and I wear it while hunting and fishing.  Feels good, feels warm.    Nice and quiet,  nice and dull colored for zero reflectance.  Looks good.  But, it sure is heavy.

I have a couple fleece shirts I like.  They sure are light.  Wind sure blows thru them.  I guess I could get them with wind stop. Won't   I sure like wool.

Course,  we trad guys don't mind carrying heavy stuff... do we ? (except bows)
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Mike....  you know there are no 220outlets in the woods.  That's what current bushes are for.
ChuckC

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
wheelie guys are up with the times man!!!.. its a big fad latest greatest it changes by the month that goes with there bows an clothing...With all the synthetics made to day, its seems there goal is to wick moister away which is exactly what wool does go figure   :thumbsup:   an i have to agree
Bull

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
ChuckC - current bushes eh ?    :saywhat:      :D   very phunny.

I was looking through the comments; and there is Ron LaClair - who makes a great product; followed up by a suggestion to go to goodwill and get your wool...... geesh that was bad timing !

Thing is; if you wear a decent wool camo or other material camo on the outside; what difference is the patterns that are hidden on you under your clothes?

So - a compromise: buy some good camo for the outside; and go to goodwill for the camo underneath.

One thing about wool; is that if you get drenched in sweat stalking in below freezing temperatures; you can build a fire; take off the wool; and lay it far from the fire and let it freeze...while your warming up by the fire.
 Then you just go over to the wool; and smack it against a tree; and the ice crystals that were the moisture in the wool - will fall out.

Then you can put back on the wool and get comfortable again.

Try that with other materials !

If you wear swimming trunks as your innermost layer; they can keep your butt dry if you sit in the snow.

I have wool camo; and waterproof camo; and I wear a red plaid shirt under it while hunting cold weather.

wool works. Ever hear of sheep freezing to death?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Good job Two-Tracks. That's a nice looking setup. George is right about the wool and where to get it. Had a camo vest once. Hung it on a limb and never found it again.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Brian
Thought i would spark things up a bit.  Shocking... isn't it.  Though I feel well grounded in this matter, earthy if you are from UK, I think that in order to get the energy flowing and the electrons   well.... doing their valence dance  we should just say.....  wool works.  It isn't for everybody, thank God for that (imagine what it would cost if it was !)

Like a lot of things we do, bowhunting involves a feeling.  It is not always describeable (?), you know... the old "If I had to tell you, you wouldn't understand".  It is the journey as well as the destination.  Some things just go together for me, and seemingly, also for a  lot of others.  and did I tell you....it works...
g'nite
ChuckC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
ChuckC
      I saw humor in what you said; I was not revolted.

I hope my response doesn't blow anyones fuse - but in this circuit of people; who seem pretty bright; I doubt I will cross wires with anyone.

Watt you say?  You don't think this line of thought is going in a positive direction ?

Well; don't be so negative. Stay grounded in your beliefs and transform your energy so that you don't get wired about this kind of thing.

If this is a bit of an overload; well go shoot your bow - it is indeed: a great outlet.

I will end this on a good chord.      :saywhat:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Mike you started this and now they probably will socket to me.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
My "brothers" and I sure appreciate a good wool jacket.  Texas mornings can be cool enough for wool!

Gary Logsdon

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Brian,

Noone can ever say that you are a negative person.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sharps4590

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
I wear a lot of wool from about November until around the first of March, both for hunting, working and just putzing around the woods.  The Sportsman Guide is a great source for surplus military wool goodies from all over the world.  I generally use long johns of 50/50 wool/poly underneath and wool pants and shirts over that.  When we lived in Wyoming I was never cold...'cept fer my fingers!
Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
My "brothers" and I sure appreciate a good wool jacket. Texas mornings can be cool enough for wool!  
Gary, Gene blends in pretty good against that brick wall...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
when you go to the army cold weather training one of the first things they do is take away all your gore/fleece/poly whatever and give you........

world war 2 wool uniforms. Yep.

Wonder why that is?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Nothing better than good wool, as long as conditions (of the hunt) don't dictate something different.

Wool keeps me warmer when damp. But it is extremely slow to get dry in a camp situation.

Wool is very quiet, but so are the best synthetics.

Synthetics weigh a lot less than equivalent wool, and they pack better/tighter.

Wind resistance is a wash, when comparing good wool to good synthetics. Neither are 100%.

Synthetics (in some cases) can be shaken out and dried in 1/4 the time of wool.

Good wool feels more "protective" and sturdy. Good synthetics flex and move better.

I perspire more in wool (vs synthetics) but that may be because it's heavier to carry and a little tougher to add/shed layers under strenuous hunting conditions like caribou, moose, cougar.

I prefer wool (sometimes) for stationary hunting. I still require a wind shell if it's blowing steady.

I have some of the best of each, and I use them all every year. If I had to choose wool vs synthetics...I would take the synthetics (for me) because they offer more versatility and easier care, plus they pack and carry better. But don't ask me to quit liking wool...I never said I was 100% logical!

Kevin Dill

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
Wool doesn't melt,and stick to your body when you catch fire.....

(Good enough reason for me)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I have to agree with Kevin. Both garments have there pro's and con's. If you get cheap quality wool or synthetic you are going to pay for it. If you get high quality of either you are going to benefit from it. The arguement of natural (trad) versus synthetic is a personal choice, but don't try to say that natural is Better than synthetic. Try wearing cotton in the woods; and that is as natural as wool. I love wool, I grew up in Australia and our economy rode on the back of the sheep and wool. I use synthetic mostly, because that is what I have, but am trying to put together a wool set up that works for me. Will probably be a mix or garments.

Another question I have for the wool crowd is smell. Wool undoubtedly works great when wet but it does smell. Do deer and other critters get a better wiff of you in the woods when you smell like the literal wet blanket. i know we hunt down wind, but at fifteen yards and a strong smell even a deer with a head cold could still smell you.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I like it because it reduces bulk, breathes, is silent, and is warm when wet. Personally, I don't like to pack anything into the woods unless I really have to.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
My son got a job guiding in Montana, I called the outfitter to see what to get him, Filson coat, sweater, pants, all wool. Gets mighty cold in those Mtns. He said don't waste your time getting anything else. His name was Tepee Tom, he lived in a tepee a couple of winters out there. I bought him the wool, and a 44 cal. pistol.  :thumbsup:

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Merino wool long johns don't stink when you have not showered for tooooo long elk hunting.I p.o.'d my filson fanatic brother by telling him all the mt. everest climers who wore wool died. EEEEASY now, that was funny!

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Because it is warm!
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©