3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why wool?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why wool?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Latest and greatest vs. the older more traditional style works for me. Course many of my compound shooting friends hunt during the warmer,early season with their archery equipment, and then switch to firearms during the colder gun season. I'm a year round traditional archer/hunter and wool is my first choice for cold weather outter wear.  :archer:

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
And just to clarify, in the incident mentioned, NOBODY tried to boil whit gas.  There was white gas in an unmarked container identical to a water jug.  There was a fire flare up on the stove and the cook intended to splash water on it only it wasn't water, it was white gas in a water jug.  

Or at least, that's how I remember Paul telling it on here back when it happened.

The point is, he swears the wool made the difference in him living or dieing.  Kinda like wearing a seatbelt in your car.  (Not like a carbomb....)  Just one extra benefit among many.

Then there is durability.  I've never worn anything that lasted like wool except maybe heavyweight denim canvas but I'm not certain that even that would outlast wool.  Shrinkage is a problem if you are not careful especially someone like me that can scratch his knees without bending over.  My filson was very long in the sleeves when new and came down to my main finger knuckles.  After several years and many times in the wet and snow then dried in the house, it's shortened up about 1 1/2 inch in the sleeves and now is about at my thumb knuckle where it should be.  Filson knows the properties of wool and designs accordingly.  My coat will probably stay exactly the same for a hundred years if the moths never find it.

I also have a KOM coat that I actually prefer for hunting for two reasons.  It's camo and it's not as bulky as my Filson double mackinaw.  It's also machine washable and has never shrunk.  It's the best $10 I ever spent!  (raffle ticket)
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Shrinkage is one of the reasons that I like pull-over sweaters from the GoodWill store. If I wash them and they shrink alittle,they always seam to stretch out after wearing them a few times. I wash all of my wool sweaters at the end of the season(unless needed before hand)and my heavy coats only get washed when needed.

I had a Johnson's Woolen Mills coat that my mother bought me for Christmas a few years before she died.The season after,I shot an 8 pointer and got blood and hair all over the coat. Being as I personaly know the lady working in the local DryCleaners,I opted to wash the coat myself. Rather than throw it over the porch railing to dry,I put it in the dryer on "Air Dry/No Heat..... Well,you guessed it,It SHRUNK!!!!!

After that I swore I would not spend "Big Bucks" on hunting clothes.I hit the after season clearance racks and scored great deals on poly/fleece hunting clothing.I was ready for next year!!!!! The next season was one of the rainiest,snowiest,wetest,dampest,hunting seasons that I had ever seen!!!!! It seemed like every time I went out,I was cold,and usualy wet and cold!!!!! The last week of the season I just gave up. I put away the poly/fleece,and broke out my old wool clothes.

The following spring I started making weekly trip to the local GoodWill store,and that year I filled my closet with "cheap" wool sweaters,pants and coats. If it gets dirty,I'll wash it.If it shrinks,I'll throw it away.If it gets ripped up crossing a barbwire fence or crashing through briars,I'll throw it away.

I'll never go back to synthetic hunting clothes.....It's WOOL for me!!!!!      :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Another thing about wool that I found out this past bear season. Alaska was wet and foggy for the 5 or 6 days that I was there. Every day when we came back to the boat from hunting bears my 2 buddys were soaking wet and I was very dry with my pendelton wool shirt. I wore my wool shirt every day, while my buddys had to change shirts everyday. I love my wool. m2c

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Well I guess I'll be different, I prefer synthetics have for a long, long time. Call me crazy....but it works for every bit of hunting I've ever done......I guess I just have to hope I never get too close to the fire    :scared:

'GOOD' synthetics are lighter/easier to pack...endlessly washable to control scent... dry in a fraction of the time... don't stink if wet, and a big one for me....because of their lightness, won't wear ya out just moving/standing around in it.

I admit, I've never tried top of the line wools....but I've gone the cheap salvation army/goodwill type wool junk and found it to be just that...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Wool for me. Wet or dry it is aways warm. May save your life in an emergency. Got a great bear in maine once upon a time. 2 film crews in camp for TV, plus a bunch of eager hunters. Rained for three straight days. Everyone else was in hi tech gear and got wet eventually, then froze out each and every day. When the sun came out on the 4th day I was standing in my stand cozy warm. The last drop had not fell before the big guy came in, now I am looking at his rug on the wall...and I was carrying a longbow while most of the others had firearms. I have Grey Wolf with the wind liner custom tailored. Lots of time in this rig from 50 above and rain down to twenty below and 40 mph winds. Always comfy. Wool hunting cloths is something I won't scrimp on, and I am cheap (my commutor car has 265,000 miles and I have no plans to replace her).
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I've found that a good layer of blubber works well under either.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I've tried synthetics and wool;
I've tried Ron's shirt and goodwill stuff...

I like my webfoots, I like my wool...
They each have their place.

I do find myself leaning to and on wool more often.

What if you couldn't go to a store and buy "the latest and greatest whatever".. if the "grid" goes and the rest of technology with it, sheep will still be warm;
Deer will have leather and grass will make strings....

Someone else said, "it's about the journey".

To me; it's about tradition,knowledge and how'd they do that?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I remember when Polarfleece and polypropylene first became popular.  I did a lot of shopping at REI back in those days.  I tried it all. After all, it was the best thing since sliced bread (I'm not sure what was best before sliced bread).  I had long underwear of both materials, vests and coats, liner socks - whatever was made I tried. I ran about 20 miles a week, so I had to have the "performance" gear for running as well. I still had some wool thrown into the mix and over time and lots of field testing (I'm a surveyor and work outside in all kinds of conditions in addition to hunting) I gradually gravitated back to wool.  Probably the best thing to come along in recent years is the merino wool long underwear.  I used to use the "itchy-scratchy" grey wool long johns, but when it got warm they were not very comfortable.  I wear a light weight SmartWool long undershirt most days from mid-October to mid-May - and they don't build up odor.  Polyester,on the other hand, eventually stinks so bad that the smell can't be washed out. The hype about the synthetic base layer dissipating the moisture from sweating to an outside layer is just that - wool as a base layer is twice as good, plus it doesn't smell. I have Filson, Hidden Wolf, KOM, Swanndri, Pendeleton, Smart Wool and Cabela's whipcord.  It's all good and I use it all in varied conditions. And yes, I found out rather quickly that my fleece clothing did not mix very well with embers from campfires. The only real advantage fleece has over wool is the ease of throwing it in the washing machine, but even that is negated by the fact that odors tend to build up over time and can't be washed out. It's not that I'm a die hard traditionalist, it's just that wool works better than anything else.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Greg Skinner:
The hype about the synthetic base layer dissipating the moisture from sweating to an outside layer is just that - wool as a base layer is twice as good, plus it doesn't smell. ..... It's not that I'm a die hard traditionalist, it's just that wool works better than anything else.
Opinions vary greatly on that.

About a year ago I had a buddy who owned a couple pieces of Sitka gear. I thought they were designed pretty well but was completely skeptical they were worth the money. I borrowed them for two weekends of hunting and thought, hmmm, maybe this stuff can fulfill the hype they've had. I talked more to owners of the stuff and eventually laid out the money for a core zip-t. I've used all kinds of base layers but have never found one that really pulled the sweat off the skin. Here in GA we often have 90degrees during the first part of deer season. There is absolutely NOTHING, in my opinion, that works as well as this top for keeping you cool. It DOES move sweat away from the skin.

I felt like this product was so much better than anything else on the market, I began talking to Curt and Peter I. about their specific opinions on the rest of the products. I bought some traverse pants. Again, I was able to hunt in very hot/humid conditions and stay far more comfortable than cotton/wool/ or any other synthetic I've used in this environment. They dry within minutes if you soak them, they are slightly stretchy which gives them high degree of comfort...etc. etc. It DOES move sweat away from the skin.

I was so convinced, I expressed great interest to Curt and Peter to become a pro-staff member. I sought THEM out, not the other way. Even with the few demo pieces they gave me, I spent my own money for more of the gear. Some worked better than others (I had to add wool and/or down layer to stay warm in the stand with the celcius gear) but every piece I used worked as advertised. First time for everything I guess.

I gave Woody my core top for a stalk in Texas because he had a light colored T-shirt on. After he came back to the truck, he said "I thought for sure I'd be sweltering within 20 yards...but I stayed completely comfortable and this has long sleeves!" I've loaned out these clothes to 3-4 other guys and all of them said the same thing.

I recommend Bob Morrison's bows not because Bob's my friend but because I believe in the product. I am a Sitka pro-staff member not because they gave me a couple pieces of clothes but because I BELIEVE in it's performance and the folks that run it. I recommend Danner boots because I've had a pair for 14 years that's been resoled 3 times and still going strong.

All that said, synthetics aren't for everyone. But some of us think they are a valuable tool to add to our hunting arsenal. I think both have their places and BOTH do a great job for their owners...or they wouldn't continue to own them. But to say that one is ALWAYS superior than the other is simply denial of the positive attributes of both.

I'll tell ya what, I believe in Sitka so much, for someone who is convinced wool is ALWAYS better who's posted on this thread so far: the first one that sends me a PM that they want to give it a shot, I'll send you one of my tops (a "snug" XL) to try for a couple of weeks. I'll pay shipping both ways, all I ask is you not tear it up. I've gotten no compensation for doing something this, I just believe in it.

I won't send you a Morrison or my boots though   :p
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
I would not even consider a wilderness trip without wool. As important as a safety belt in a tree. Silk is a great base layer in moderate temps, best anti microbial properties and feels great against the skin,(doesn't stink).
Tom

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
JC, I might take ya up on that.....   :D  

I love my wool but I'm not so closed minded that I'd catagorically deny that anything synthetic is junk.  However, just listening to your last post and knowing you live in Gawgia, I wonder how much you have to deal with the type of weather where wool really shines.

Wool is certainly not the proper choice for a hunt in hot weather with the exception maybe of a good pair of medium to light weight merino wool socks.  Those I wear year round since I discovered them about 6 years ago.  

If ya want, I'll borrow your synthetic stuff in about mid September or early October to try it while it's still warm here and you can come out to MO in November to hunt and try some of my wool.  Might not kill a deer but you'll eat good!  One good misty drizzly day at about 35 to 40 degrees MIGHT make a believer out of ya.  30 to 32 degrees and freezing rain almost surely would.  Or maybe it will make one out of me, who knows?  I've got a North American Outfitters (now hidden wolf woolens) wool coat in Predator Fall Grey that would probably fit you (It's getting a tad small on me) and I never really liked it anyway compared to my KOM.  Just not in the same class in my opinion.  Materials are great but design and cut don't get it done like my KOM.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Dave, while certainly not your weather, 30-32 and freezing rain is pretty common here in North GA Dec/Jan. I hunted multiple times in temps 18-24 last season. I certainly enjoy wool and think in those temps it is the smartest choice, at least to mix in with my synthetics. Make no mistake, I am a believer in wool, but not to the exclusion of other fabrics. Love my Ulfrotte (multiple tops/bottoms), love my Grey wolf wool vest (I'm wearing that in my avatar by the way), love my smart wool socks, but I love my down vest, and of course love my Sitka gear too. Dang but I'm happy I've got all those to choose from!

You holler round early september and I'll try to find one that fits you (I know mine would come just below your elbows).
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Sarge5706

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Wool is not water repellent, it does however have the ability to maintain its insulationing capabilities when wet.  It was explained to me that the wool fibers are hollow and that is what gives wool this quality.  If you get drenched and are out in a stiff wind you are still going to feel the effects.
Jim
J.E. Smith
SSgt Usmc (Ret)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Because it is warmer. I don't wear it because it is traditional. I wear it because nothing else keeps me as warm. I will put three thin layers of wool up against a heavy jacket any day of the week.

-Charlie

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Wool or synthetic clothes is like graphite or wood arrows-personal preference. Both are good.  Each has it's place, each has it's fans.  Many hunters we all read about and idolize, swore by plaid wool, because wool was the best available at that time. If fleece or graphite had been around in the 40's, 50's and 60's, I wonder if if Hill, Bear, Schultz, Pearson, Howatt, St. Charles, et.al. would have used them?  

Not being a terribly trusting person, I seldom leave a stand in the woods, I lug my carry on stand and strap on steps in and back out just about every day I hunt, sometimes over a mile each way. Quite honestly, wool is heavy.  Sometimes, I wear wool bibs and carry a fleece jacket and a wool sweater.  I've been too warm in both and cold in both.  For me being comfortable and being still when it's bitter cold are mutually exclusive.  I can do one or the other, but not both.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Everyone's experiences and preferences are different. Some are open minded and others are not. I definitely try to keep an open mind about the qualities (real or imagined) of any gear I own and use.

I've used good wool (Ulfrotte, KOM, Sleeping Indian) and good synthetics (Cabela's, Sitka Gear, Under Armor) on hunts from Ohio to Utah...Sakatchewan, BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. I think I have a pretty good idea of how they perform.

If the weather conditions will be severe (very cold and damp) there's a good chance you'll find some wool in my duffel...usually a base or mid-layer. For temps above 20 degrees I'll go with synthetics, especially for traveling hunts. For active exertional hunting I'll take my Sitka Gear 100% of the time over wool. If physical weight is not an issue, I'll pack plenty of wool. By now though, I have learned that I can be just as safe and comfortable in synthetics as wool. I also like the fact that my sweater may have once been a one-liter empty bottle clogging a ditch in your town.

Still: If you dropped me out of a Supercub in the Alaska hills and said I could only have one outfit, I'm pretty sure wool would be there...and it has nothing to do with tradition.

Kevin Dill

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
In response to the comments about Sitka gear: I have a pair of Sitka pants which I have not used enough to render an honest evaluation. I have not tried the base layer tops that J.C. has described.  Perhaps Sitka has figured out a different weave/material combination that works better than the other polyester garments that I have used. Perhaps our individual body chemistry responds differently to different materials, also. For me I get to feeling clammy and claustrophic with the polyester base layer as opposed to the wool.  I guess I'm just glad that we have lots of options from which to choose - similar to the carbon, aluminum wood choices for arrows that are available.  That way we all have what works best for each of us as individuals.  We are fortunate there are so many excellent choices available.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©