3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting Started on an Elk Trip  (Read 449 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting Started on an Elk Trip
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I just found out that I may be able to go on a "do it yourself" elk hunting trip next fall as a birthday present from my wife. (Yes, I do have an amazing wife!) I know it is a little late to start planning such a trip as I have not yet applied for a tag. If you would not mind, I would like  to get any opinions/pointers/direction in choosing a state/area to go, as well as why you believe that to be the best place to try and get into.

I am not necessarily looking at shooting a monster, though that would be nice;). However, I would like to have a higher chance of success at getting a shot off at a branch antlered bull.

Details about me: I am in good physical condition, love to hike, have a tight budget, live in Texas, and do not mind working hard to make things happen.

Any help you can throw my way would be incredible.

Thanks,
TwoStrings

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting Started on an Elk Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Next fall- as in 2010? If you're talking about this Fall, CO's deadline is April 7th and Idaho still has over 8,000 licenses available for archery elk. CO has a considerable amount of hunting units that are unlimited archery elk areas even if you don't make the application deadline in April. Good luck on your hunt!

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Rtherber,

Thanks for the reply! If it was you, would you choose Colorado or Idaho? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Offline Stick_N_String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I've been working on this one for a couple years myself.
I have finally settled on Colorado, I'll state my reasons.
(1) largest elk herd in the nation
(2) over the counter elk tags
(3) closest to my state of Oklahoma, this one gives me less travel time and more hunting time.
as I will be driving and not flying.
I'm planning on 2010 depending on whether or not my job lasts. And I'm looking to find a couple fellow tradgangers to join me.

My idea is to go up to Colorado for a vacation this summer and check out a couple of areas that I have found on the maps I also have a couple areas that friends have told me about.
I'd like to do a backpack trip, carry camp on my back and go where the elk lead me.
Daren Lewis
"Measurement of life should be proportioned rather to the intensity of the experience than to it's actual length"~Thomas Hardy

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Colorado...

You can get there in a day, this will give you more time to hunt which is priority. Lots of elk, lots of land, otc tags.
   You will burn a few days finding elk. Avoid crowded trail heads and people, the elk will too. Elk leave a lot of sign and it is easy to see. If you do not see sign, keep movin, go higher.

Offline Orygun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
One thing to toss out is if your on foot and by yourself, you may not want to get too far back in if the weather is hot.  Getting an elk by shanksmare means lots of trips back and forth.  If it is real hot you stand to lose a good deal of meat.

Out where I live I have been in on elk just 3 miles from my rig.  That would be 4 trips in 90 plus degree weather.  So figure 6 miles each trip.  If your not in primo condition it can wreck you.  Get a buddy or two and then it's not an issue.

I'd second Colorado for the reasons mentioned already.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
twostrings,I haven't hunted Idaho,just Colorado. But I considered Idaho in '05 and studied up on their system and continue to keep up with stats there. Based on your post, I'd say CO would give you more time to actually hunt since you'd be driving.If you're an avid hiker,then you're ahead of the game as far as physical conditioning necessary for the hunt is concerned. You might look at gmuresearch.com and study the areas/stats and go from there. Unless it changes,CO offers a cow elk tag at half price so that might help with the tight budget restraints. A cow elk will eat good and no antlers will eliminate one whole backpack trip out to the truck. Good luck!

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Check out my book. Mike

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
twostrings,

Lots of things to consider.  I would definitely recommend Colorado....easy to get to and lots of OTC opportunities.  

Best opportunities are in deep away from people.  Are you prepared to pack in all your necessities on your back???  If successfull are you prepared to work your tail off getting the elk out to your truck or car???  It ain't easy bud!!!!!

If you think you're up to the task....I know a place you could sit and I can pretty much guarantee you a shot opportunity if you're patient.  Bull, cow or whatever.  The elk are there, but like I said....it ain't gonna be easy  ;)  

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
Idaho looks interesting to me, any negatives?  I've been to Co.

Anyone from Idaho have some insight for a nonres.?
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Wow, this is helpful! I truly was not expecting for the majority vote to be Colorado...though I was hoping it would be because I truly love that country. I expected it to be Utah or Idaho. As northener asked, does anyone have any insight on these two states?

Mike, I will check out your book. Thanks!

If I pick CO, the only experience I have had there is whitewater rafting, backpacking and skiing. I have never hunted the state. I am also not real familiar with how it is broken into sections for hunting. Does anyone have suggestions as to what areas/sections would be worth taking looking into?

Thanks Men (and women).

Twostrings

Offline sndmn11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©