3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery Greats longbows  (Read 853 times)

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
Archery Greats longbows
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I've always wondered why most of the best archery shots mostly shoot longbows.  Howard Hill, Byron Fergeuson, Ron LaClair, Byron Tabor, etc.  I can only think of Stacy Grosscup who was a truely phenomenal shot with a recurve.  
I know there are a lot of great target recurve shooters out there, but I'm talking about reactive type gifted pure shooters.  
Seems like most shoot a longbow.  Is this purely from a forgiving aspect?
Seems like most of the concensus is shooting a longbow is harder.  That's why I don't understand why Howard Hill is quoted for saying he's not good enough to shoot a recurve.  :campfire:

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery Greats longbows
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
Its cause Longbows Rule....

:0)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
Know what ya mean.  I always was a recurve guy, but it seemed like most of the best end up shootin' a longbow. Some say ya gotta grow into one, I dunno.  But after giving them a real chance, shooting a few different ones.....
..I think I'm turnin' longbow.  When ya get one that fits ya they truly are forgiving on the shot.  Give 'em a real try and ya might be surprised.....................but Hornseekers still right.  :knothead:

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
A very true evaluation, if you just stick with trick shooting.  I agree and no doubt that the longbow is more forgiving, once you mastered it.  The Recurve is to sensitive for trick shooting.  Now I said recurve not a hybrid with lateral stability.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Without being a master archer, i find that shorter bows may be more powerful, but longbows are - as Toddster states above me - more forgiving once you've mastered it. A tiny little mistake with a recurve, and you may fail.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Don't fool yourself, the image of the longbow plays a big part in this as well.  Robin Hood never carried a recurve, and Joe Public probably doesn't know who Papa Bear is.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Genghis Khan carried a recurve/composite though, and he's my idol <3   :)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
After being a recurve shooter for a number of years and swearing by it, I decided to buy a longbow more "just to have one" than anything else. Once I started shooting it however, the whole "legend and romance of the longbow" thing must've of taken hold as I haven't gone back to the recurve at all for nearly a year now! I love my recurve so this was quite a surprise for me. It's my belief that the greats would be great with any bow so I wonder whether this wasn't a part of the appeal for them as well under the surface. It very well may be in our genes for all I know!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
perhaps we all have a need for "simplicity" in our lives, and clean, long lines without distractions in these chaotic times.  we humans tend to "make better" things that don't need fixin.  I shoot most kinds of bows, enjoy em for what they do, but go back to a long bow as my companion in the woods, like a trusted friend.

sourowl
SourOwl

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
The longbow has a romantic history and some feel a familiar  pull towards  the longbow, almost like they knew it from another life.

Dreams from another life,  by Ron LaClair:  

I dream of days so long ago  when a mans companion was his bow  

Then men and bow would act as one  sending clouds of arrows that blocked the sun  

The iron tipped shafts piercing mail of chain  making horses scream from the arrows pain  

The broad heavy points of the clothyard shaft  spilled rivers of blood in the wheat fields chaff    

Gallant French Knights to war  would go  seeking glory in battle with their foe  

Expecting a fight that was toe to toe  they were killed from afar by the mighty Longbow  

These dreams are clear as they can be,  5000 archers including me  

stood side by side with deadly retort  that day at the battle of Agincourt
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by SourOwl:
perhaps we all have a need for "simplicity" in our lives, and clean, long lines without distractions in these chaotic times.  we humans tend to "make better" things that don't need fixin.  I shoot most kinds of bows, enjoy em for what they do, but go back to a long bow as my companion in the woods, like a trusted friend.

sourowl
For me Sour Owl expressed the long bow elegance perfectly; the feel and simplicity just pleases me. I am not saying that any one bow or type of bow is it; it is just where you want to be and with what. I am choosing to strive to simply be in the natural outdoors that I love and taking in as much of it as I can. One way that you can look at it is:
Shoot the bow that you have.
Walk in the desert and the woodlands.
Hunt where you are.
Refurbish what you have.
If you don’t have it, go with out or make it.
When you do get something new, get it from craftsmen that take pride in what they make.
Pack light.
Sleep under the stars
Enjoy, that is what it is about.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
and i also dont think you have to grow into a longbow. pretty much all i have ever shot was a long bow i had a brief romance with a recurve but that fling is over and im back to my longbows and will never stray again
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Long bows ,for some reason just seem nicer to carry. I don't know why and I guess I don't really care why. But I still shoot both..lol...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Well done Ron!  :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Right on brothers. The longbow rules. At least until I get tired of seeing my BW PMA-V collecting dust on my bow rack.  :biglaugh:

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I wanted to write a comment. Then i saw SourOwl's comment, and i did not have to write my comment. SourOwl was too quick.

Jamie, your sight on simplicity and 'make-do-with-what-you-got' attitude, is right on  :)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by TheFatboy:
Genghis Khan carried a recurve/composite though, and he's my idol <3    :)  
Thanks man!   Oh Ghengis... Never mind.

:bigsmyl:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Ron , that was cool....someone said it ...Longbows Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!! mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I will not venture to say why the great archers are longbow shooters,but will add my personal thoughts.

I am a relative newbie to traditional archery, having been hooked for about 7 years now. I started out with recurves, a Red Wing Hunter, then several different Bear bows. I love the history of Bear Archery, and the looks of Bear bows. I own several of them, and am always looking for a deal on a good one.

That said, I have 2 bows on my rack that are the ones I truly love to shoot. When my Thunderstick longbow is in my hand, it is part of me.

I love the feel of the grip in my hand, and the smell of the leather grip. It is feather light, whisper quiet, and smooth to shoot. It is simplistic archery. Stick and string, hand and eye.

I still shoot most of my recurves, but I do not truly lock on with anything but my longbow.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline otis.drum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
ron i love good poetry..., that was great. and what a story it told.

i love longbows for their simplicity and the enjoyment they give.
...otis...
_ _ _ _ __________________ _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©