3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Reccomendation  (Read 328 times)

Offline Mobear

• Trad Bowhunter
String Reccomendation
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Need a string for a 1955 Bear Kodiak.  It's 55# and 64" in length.  I was wondering what would be the reccomended string length.  I was also wondering what the original reccomended brace height was for this bow.  I would assume that I would need a Dacron double loop string, but was also wondering about a Flemish twist string.  I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Mobear, probably about a 60" string and 14 strand b-50. That's just an assuption from the length given. You might want to ask this of the experts on the archives section, they are very knowledgeble. Also, I suggest the History section for everyone! These are great people! If you need a flemish string, let me know. Steve

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I would definitely go with a dacron string,you can use an endless loop string or a flemish twist.They are just two different methods of making a string.As a general rule 3" shorter for longbows and 4" shorter for recurves.I like to measure the actual bow length or the old string.I would say for brace height around 7&1/4 to 8",you might look on the collectors forum for more info on the older Bear.

Offline sethdiggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
If you are going to get a flemish string, I highly recommend buying one from frank bullitt, (Steve McQueen). He has great prices as well as extremely quick shipping. I gave him a order on Sunday night and got the string this afternoon.
Damon Howatt Coronado 60" 45#@28

Offline Mobear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Thanks, I have some other model specific questions that I'll post to the History sectio.  I'm off to work, so I'll get to contacting the man with the green mustang for a string to try (tonight)
Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©