3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BB Persimmon  (Read 574 times)

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
BB Persimmon
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Any one out there tried this?  How about some dimensions or tips.  I just cut down a big (9") persimmon tree, and I am fixing to take it down to my sawmiller to have it cut into bow belly stock.  If anybody has any advice let me know thanks.

Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BB Persimmon
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
That's about the right size tree Cody. All persimmon logs I seen have spiralled somewhat when split. Hope yours trees are different. You may want to go ahead and half your log first to make sure it's usable.

Only made one BB pesimmon and it's worked great....... until the bamboo backing failed!

Treat your wood about like hickory and dimensions are similar also. Great wood to work with. One of my favorites woods for arrow footing/foreshafting and handle stock. Good luck.-ART B

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
Thanks Art, It will only be about $5 to have it cut into lumber, I can risk it twisting, if I only get one usable slat out of it I figure it was worth it.  You say to treat it like hickory are you talking about belly stock or for backing?  In either case I have never used hickory and could use some dimensions, thanks for the info.

Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I'd love to have a 9" persimmon on my property just to have all those sweet fruits dropping during bow season.  I hope you have more.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Belly stock only Cody. What weight and length are you looking for? Longer you make your bow the narrower you can make your limbs but if backed around 1 1/2"-1 5/8" should work fine for medium weight bows. You can't get but so much width out of a boo backing because of thickness requirements (1/8" or so). With just a pristine back I've make 'em around 1 3/4" wide and that width worked out OK for me. Same dimensions I use for hickory all so providing I don't do any heat treating.-ART B

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
Art B,
 I like around 55# and 67" I think I could manage 1 5/8" out of some of my boo.  This could be just an exploratory bow who knows I will probably take some of it to MOJAM as trade goods, if it works of course.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©