3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Shafts  (Read 558 times)

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Shafts
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I'd like to start messing around with wood shafts and make my own arrows. Because I'm starting I really don't want to pay for premium shafts. Just something decent that I can work with and that fly pretty decent as well. So any suggestions on where and what I can buy. Raw shafts is what I'm after.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
You should check out 3rivers. I get all of my raw shafts from there.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
the Nocking Point,3 Rivers or any of the other sponsors here will be happy to help you get started.
I just started myself and got great help from both of the named above.
I will try and get some pics up when I get home. Be prepared, this is addictive ...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Great choice to go with wood, Peter.  PM me yuor specs or what you think you will need spine wise.  I may have something to help you get started.  Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Wapati Archery. They have Stump shooters, tapered POC for $20.00 a dozen.

Offline brmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
I bought some finished arrows from Richard Nardini from All Wood Arrows that I found on **** and finished they were pretty reasonable.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »
I'd say as far as price goes,parralel POC's are the way to go to start in wood.

From my own experience though,I'd spend the extra and get hand spined shafts instead of electronically spined ones.Mine differed enough I noticed it in flight.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Dont hesitate to call Braveheart Archery and get some surewood shafts from Tim. You'll love em, they're already straight and tuff.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Peter, Lost Nation, sponsor here has Chundoo shafts in 23/64" at a special of $15.00 a doz. right now. They are 75-79lb spine, these would be great for flu-flus or stump arrows or whatever! Great shafts to start with and great price, give Larry a call!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
One great resource for learning to build your own is the book by TJ Conrad "Traditional Bowhunters Handbook". I think back when I firsr started, and the learning curve is a fun one. I love building my own arrows. There are as many variations as how and what to use for finishes as you can imagine. You can go as simple or detailed as you like. Search through a lot of older threads on here for ideas. Have fun.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Toelke,
Take my advise for what it is worth, but if your just starting out making arrows, get some decent woods to begin with not discounts.  It is much easier to begin working with some decent wood and once you get some experience then work with the discount stuff.  I'm not against cheap shafts, but once you get some experience you can disern and work with the cheap stuff to get usable safe material.  I get most of my shafts thru 3Rivers, Allegany Mountain Arrow Woods and Sitka from Neil Hildebrand.  All are great sources for some quality wood.  Best to get off on the right foot. Again, just my opinion.  Good luck!! dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I agree with Dino. Start out with quality shafts. I buy all mine from Jim Curlee and they are nice and straight.

Bill

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Wood Rules!!! Frank  :archer:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©