3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any downside to antler limb bolts?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Any downside to antler limb bolts?
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I'm having the antler tips added to my new bow's limbs.  So, I thought I'd maybe get antler limb bolts.

Any downside?  I assume they're only for aesthetics (which is fine).

I've contacted sticshooter about some of his, on referral from my bowyer.

Thanks....and if you have ics of yours (don't go to too much trouble), I'd like to see them.

Jeff

Offline Downeast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any downside to antler limb bolts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
I've got them on my Widow so I don't need tools to assemble at camp.  Don't see a downside.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Jeff,

Frank and Shell make great limb bolts and are wonderful people to deal with. I have two sets they made for me. Aesthetics is the primary reason to get the bolts. A less significant reason is that no allen wrench is required. There is probably a minor weight difference but not enough to even think about. The main disadvantage is having something else sticking out to snag on items like brush or loose clothing. That is generally not a significant concern either. The nice part is that you can change back and forth any time you need to between the antler bolts and the standard bolts. The antler bolts definitely add a great deal to the looks and go well with antler limb tips.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Jeff, I haven't found anything that would be considered a minus. I have had my bow tump over and if not for them I would have some good character marks on my limb butts or riser. The only thing is if you get them you will always have to use them. The threaded bolts are epoxied into your riser and stick up through the limbs. Making it impossible if you ever just wanted to put regular beveled bolts in them.

I think they are a good accent when having the limb tips as you are.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
TJ, did you order your Silvertip with them from Dave?  Are there just treaded studs epoxied into the riser with a heli-coil in the anter burr?  The ones that Sticshooter makes has the bolt epoxied into the antler burr so you can switch between your standard bolts and the antler ones.  

As has been said I have them on my takedowns more for looks but they do serve a function.  It is nice to be able to but your bow together without any tools.  I have never found anything negative about them.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Question (and thanks for the replies, guys):

Do I need to go ahead and order these and send them to my bowyer (Kevin @ RER) so that he knows what I'll be using?  Or, is that step unnecessary?

Jeff

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Nope you shouldn't need to send them to the bowyer.  Just make sure you get the bolts make with the same thread size and pitch as the heli-coil he puts in the riser.  I have been told there are some odd ball out there.  Most of them are 5/16-18 though I believe.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Jeff,  Frank will know exactly what you need for the RER  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
The only down side in the palmettoes I hunt and other trashy areas they would hang up in vines sticking out as they do.They sure look good though.Kip

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I've found no downside, I've owned to with them and several without.  I much prefer having them on my bows.  

heres my newest;  bought used from another stellar member oh the gang (BSBD).  

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
No downside at all....Frank and Shell are great people, really great, and the limb bolts are gonna make you not want to put the bow down...ever.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Yep, They hang up on every limb and vine!...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I have 4 sets from Frank and Shell. The Zipper bows take a different size. There is a lot they can do to customize them too.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim Fishell:
TJ, did you order your Silvertip with them from Dave?  Are there just treaded studs epoxied into the riser with a heli-coil in the anter burr?  The ones that Sticshooter makes has the bolt epoxied into the antler burr so you can switch between your standard bolts and the antler ones.  

As has been said I have them on my takedowns more for looks but they do serve a function.  It is nice to be able to but your bow together without any tools.  I have never found anything negative about them.
Tim, the bolts on this one are fixed to the riser and the burrs have the threads in them which I don't like. Not sure if Dave does them all this way or not. I got the bow second hand. Jeff If you do get them don't do it the way mine is make sure the threaded posts are in the antler burrs and not the riser.

They do catch on stuff in the woods which is a head ache sometimes, but if you like them that's a small issue.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
They wont hang up on anything, if you put them on a Black Widow   :)  Plus you can look at them all the time.  I made my own, of course they are not in the same class as those by Stickshooter. Takes a lot of talent to do what he does.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Couple of questions.

Is the area of contact on the antler burr the same as the beveled washers?

Do they scar the limbs as they tighten down?

I agree they look nice but have those concerns.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I hunt in Florida and as some of the others have said, they catch on everything.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Jeff, the ones on my silvertip are large and the area they contact is slightly larger than the regular beveled bolts. They are polished down and match the limb flush when tightened so they do not scratch the limbs. I could see though if you ordered some second hand if they didn't screw on flush they may scratch.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Wow been making these for 6 years and never had anyone tell me they hang up? Maybe if there really big... I mean huge? I hunt with them on my Bunny bow and never had them hang up. but then I am not crawling on the ground.  :bigsmyl:
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
The only downside that I have found is......they look so darned good on my bow I had to get 2 more sets for my other bows!  Love them Sticshooter.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©