3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need MOAB owner input  (Read 522 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Need MOAB owner input
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
I just got a MOAB and I would like some input from people shooting them.  Please tell me your bow and arrow set-up.  I would like to see what everyone is shooting.  If you can please provide draw weight and length for bow, you draw length, string type, silencers, and brace height for your bow.  I am looking to shoot carbon, but aluminum data would be great also.  For your arrow I would like to know, shaft type, length, head weight and insert weight if not standard, fletching, and arrow length.  I like details obviously, and I want to run some set-ups in the spine calculator to see if there is a pattern to what the bows like.  I am also curious if people find the bows like a heavier weight arrow.

Also for those that have the take down do you think it shoots as quiet as the one piece bow?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need MOAB owner input
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
I have two. One is 59lbs at 28. I pull 27 inches and shoot a axis 500 with 225 on the tip or a 60-65 wood with a 125 tip. I cut my arrows to 28 inches.
Second is 50lb at 27inches. I shoot the same arrows with a 275 grain tip and a 160 tip respectivly.
The Moab shoots a pretty wide range of arrows well.
SL

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I dont have one anymore but the one I sold a month ago or so what a 62" 50#@28" bow.  I draw 28" and it had a 450+ string on it.  I got awesome results with 29" 2020 aluminum with 125 grain up front with standard inserts.

When I got the bow I had a really hard time getting an arrow to fly out of it.  All my other bows wore 450+ strings so I tried one on it.  It changed everything.  I put a pair of mink fur silencers on it and was good to go.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
i can't imagine what yer trying to achieve with gathering any of the personal moab spex yer asking about ... ???  

words can never replace actually seeing, holding and shooting any bow by any bowyer.  it's the same with people's opinions.  

whatever.

here's my moab shootin' spex ...

i have a 'trad gang 1st anniversary' moab, 60", 50# @ 28", 53.25# at my 29" draw, 10 strand dyneema'02 endless string, small hush puppies string silencers, brace height is not quite 6-1/2".  using beman 29" 500's, 535 grains total weight, 300 grains up front, 27.5% foc, 75x105 4-fletch lo-pro bananas, 4" length.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I have 2 MOAB's. My first is a 57# 60". #2 is a 62" 52@27". I shoot hexpine shafts, cut to 28"BOP with 125 gr tips. I shoot 45-49# spine shafts, and 50-55 shafts. All of my woodies are tapered shafts. Like was mentioned earlier, MOAB's are pretty fogiving as to arrow spine. I prefer a little lighter than a little stiff,but thats my preference. I can shoot either arrow from either bow with no adjustments, and they fly like darts. I dont even bother trying to keep them sorted anymore.

I shot every arrow in my bucket tonight out of #2 bow, about 40 shots. They were all hitting right together.

The fun thing is playing around with your setup an finding the arrow setup that YOU are the most consistent with, and the most confident in. Once you find it , stick with it. That MOAB will treat you right.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i can't imagine what yer trying to achieve with gathering any of the personal moab spex yer asking about ... ???  

i have a 'trad gang 1st anniversary' moab, 60", 50# @ 28", 53.25# at my 29" draw, 10 strand dyneema'02 endless string, small hush puppies string silencers, brace height is not quite 6-1/2".  using beman 29" 500's, 535 grains total weight, 300 grains up front, 27.5% foc, 75x105 4-fletch lo-pro bananas, 4" length.

Well thanks for playing along anyway even thought you don’t get what I am up to.  ;)  I am kind of new again to trad bows after a long time not shooting them, and I want to learn more.  I have seen how there can be a lot of variables to setting up a bow. Many times there are things in the way someone sets up their bow that I don’t understand how it all works together.  I figure with a new bow to set up it was a good time to do some research and learn more.  

Your spec’s are very interesting and in the range of what I am working on.  You are shooting an arrow the same length as your draw with a lot of weight up front.  It would appear to me to be short and weak, but it is not for you.  How are you getting the extra clearance length and the weight up front?  I am shooting a 52#@28” MOAB and drawings 28.5”.  I shot a Beman 500, 29” base of nock to end of shaft, 100 brass insert and 125 head for 225 up front in my predator.  It shoots great and I was able to group shoot fletched and bare shafts and see the differences as I changed things.  I tried the same arrow it in my MOAB.  It shoots ok, but I am not sure it is quite right.  I wanted to see what some changes would do to see if I could improve it.  I tried other points for front weights from 200 to 325.  My bare shaft tended to always be in the group and shows constantly stiff on shaft angle with the lighter heads.  I tried to get it to shoot weak for impact and shaft angle if possible, but mostly point of impact.  As I pushed the front weight up it still tended to shoot in the group, and the shaft started to show straight in, but I never got it to shoot weak, but I did note a lot of shaft whip in the flight.  That got me thinking maybe I was at a point that just as I got the shaft to weaken the high FOC was pulling it there no mater how weak the spine was.  Tomorrow I plan to shoot closer to see if I can see the weak shaft angle.

Anyway all this got me wondering what other were doing and if I could draw some conclusion using all the data in the spin calculator some of us have been trying out.  I am thinking about going to a stiffer shaft so I can keep the point weight down a little and be able to better see the differences as I tune.  I just don’t want to go stiffer if I am way off base.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
imho, this thing about stickbows and arrows isn't rocket science.  for the most part, most bows and strings and arrows can be made to shoot reasonably well, for each of us.  the common denominator is us, and the physical and mental differences we each have when shooting bows 'n' arras.  

if you can't get a particular bow/string/arrow to shoot reasonably well, change one parameter at a time and give it a fair amount of testing time.  if that one change helps, fine.  if it makes something worse or offers no change in performance, reverse that change.  above all, don't listen too much to the rapping of what does and doesn't work for other archers.  make parameter changes that are bracketed both above and below what the "common sense consensus" of the archery community espouses.    :saywhat:  

personally, i don't have any issues with the beman 500 ics venture/bowhunter shaft in terms of "weak spine".  my mohawk t/d is 62" and 55.5# @ 29".  i use a beman 500 that's precisely 29.25" from the bohning signature nock's throat depth to the back of the shaft. there's a 100 grain brass insert coupled to a 250 aggregate point weight (125gr point and 125gr steel adapter), 29.3% foc, 585 grains total weight.  same 75x105 4" feather 4-fletch.  i draw that arrow so that the brass insert is flush with the front of the bow's shelf and touches my bow hand (my version of a draw check).  the arrows fly fast and true (if i aim and release reasonably well), with no porpoise or fishtail.  

i shoot that same arra, but with a 125 grain point weight, 460 grains total weight, 23.25% foc, from a 62", 46# @ 29" 1pc mohawk.  same great arra flight.

i've tried beman 400 and 350 spined shafts - all were too stiff from any of my bows, no matter what the foc or total arra weight.

if it works, don't fix it.      :D  

29" 585gr beman 500 - before and after an encounter with mr. piggy ...

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
My MOAB was 60" 54#@28" arrows were 29" carbon 45/60's, standard inserts, three 5" feathers and 175 grain points.  Total arrow weight was approx. 570 grains.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.  

From the arrows with listed weight or the ones I can calculate it looks like most are shooting a heavier arrow that I am.

The MOAB for me so far does seem to be tolerant of arrow spine at least on the weak side.  I don't have a stiffer shaft other than dropping point weight, and I don't want to drop arrow weight much more.  I may get a couple slightly heavier shafts and some 50 gr. brass inserts to try more point combinations using my 3-rivers test point sets.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

29" 585gr beman 500 - before and after an encounter with mr. piggy ...

Rob is that a dipped shaft or a wrap?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
wrapped ...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
OK....I've got 4 MOABS...60, 64, 65, and 70 #s.

ALL shoot the same arrow, and any head I want from 150 to 250 grains.  Arrow Dynamics Traditionals at 29" BOP.  I use 5' 4 fletch most so I don't have to look to nock but I still use 5.5 inch 3 fletch as well.  They weight 580 grains with a 175 grain head....and 680 if I load them with aquarium tubing.

My Brace height is 6.5....and I use Hush Puppy silencers of course.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Tarz, are ur bows all the same length???thats a good set up ...thanks, mark   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Yeah...they are all 60 inches.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
I have two 56@28  54@28 gold tip arrows 350 grain tip, 650 gr arrow out of both,stock strings.60 inch bows.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I have been working on the higher end of the brace height.  I will have to try dropping down to 6.5 to see how it likes that.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowben:
I have two 56@28  54@28 gold tip arrows 350 grain tip, 650 gr arrow out of both,stock strings.60 inch bows.
Are you shooting GT 3555 or 5575?

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Gt 5575 29 1/2 inches 6 3/4 brace.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
My MOAB setup is as follows:

64" MOAB. About 57# @ 32".
12-strand Dyna97 endless string.
1 set of rubber cat whisker silencers.
Braced height is around 7" (can't remember exactly).

I usually shoot full length Beman ICS 340's with Flightmate inserts and 125-grain Ace Standards. But I've always had an itch to shoot a deer with a 200-grain Ace Super Express (big, nasty head), and the only way I can do that is to switch arrows. So right now I'm using full length Beman ICS 300's with long screw-in inserts and those 200-grain Ace heads.

They fly great. It's going to be a fun season this fall.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©