3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: zwickey broadheads.  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
zwickey broadheads.
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Guys I am using the 100 grain Magnus and am tired of the heads coming off the adapter and the tips curling while practicing.  I know a lot of guys like zwickey but they look so much like the Magnus it makes me nervous to buy with out asking you guys your thoughts.  I need a little heavier head and can buy them heavy enough that I can bob the tip so it does not curl if needed.  I am not trying to bust bone but I want to be able to shoot a 3D target without bent tips and leaving broadheads in my target because the dang glue did not hold.  What do you think?

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: zwickey broadheads.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Sorry I should have done a search on the zwickey.  I guess I just got on a roll.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
No problem!  Those Zwickeys are tuff for sure.  You might want to take a look at Ace broadheads too.  IMHO they are just as tuff if not tuffer than the Zwicks.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I feel your pain with the magnus.I think they must oil coat the inside of the head before they glue them.I had the 100gr heads,and pulled three of them off the adapter.I also had 4 blade zwickey eskimos,Never pulled one off and they were stuck in trees,targets,snow and ice banks,and the ground.My complaint with the zwickeys is if you hit something hard you'll drive the adapter right into the ferrule.I have on most of mine,but they still shoot good.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I'm the type of person that if it work's I don't change it.Zwicky's are no differen.26 Years ago when switched over to a compound wasp's to a recurve and 2 dozzen zwicky's.12 Years ago when the season started I only had 3 left.Of these 2 dozzen broadheads at one time I had 5 different heads that had 2 or more kills on them with one haveing 7 kills on it.So Ihave no complaints.I got another dozzen and again I still have 4 left 14 years.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
The Aboyer heads are sure getting good reviews.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I don't agree with the 'soft' comment.  I've never bent a stock Zwickey and I've been shooting them since the mid 80's.  I have bent a couple I modified but I remove too much metal behind the try lam.  My fault.

I have found them to be harder than magnus, as the Zs are harder to sharpen, but hold an edge longer....and the tips tent to chip instead of bent....meaning they are harder steel.

Proof of them being harder in the fact that I have bent magnus before, but only chipped the points on Zs....about the 1st 1/8th inch on off leg bones and rocks after pass throughs.

I can't say that I have bent a lot of magnus heads, as I didn't fool with them long as the Zs have never let me down....and I have a hard time leaving them with all the game I've killed with them due to their performance.

Not sure about the adapters driving into the furrel as I've never had that happen with Zs either...and last I heard, both are brazened by the same company.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I shot Zwickeys for a few years and agree with Terry's post. If I was interested in shoot a 4-blade head again, it'd definately be a Zwickey.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Ok you guys are making me feel better.  If I buy the Zwickey it will be the 135 grainers.  Nobody seems to be saying anything bad about them pulling off the factory adapter so they must hold pretty well?  On the lighter 135 grain head do you think it would be neccesary to put the chissel tip on it.

Offline lostshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
I've never seen factory broadhead adapters on Zwickeys. Shot them for 30 years and have no reason to change. But I have always put an adapter on, if shooting aluminum , myself. I just get the inside of the feral very hot to burn off all the oil and paint and do not have the problem of the head coming off in the target or game.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
If you buy them loose and put them on adapters yourself you could easily solve the problem of them pulling off in targets.  As far as bending goes I have a Zwickey Delta that is on a 600 grain maple arrow that I have been stump shooting with for years out of my 64# recurve and it has never bent.  Eclipse also makes a very tough broadhead.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Stalkin4elk

I like the Abowyer head, too but they seem to be sold out.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I switched to only Zwickey's in the late 1980's.. I have NEVER had any issues whatsoever. I mean these are tough, effective and easy to get "crazy" sharp broadheads... They just work,, everytime!

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I just made the switch to the Deltas, and they seem great. I have them mounted on a 125 steel adapter. I Didnt have any problem getting them sharp....
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I have shot Zwickeys for years and they are tough. Takes time to get them sharp but once they are sharp they are easy to touch up. If they have a fault is that they rust easy. I have started to wipe some mineral oil on them after sharpening and this seems to help.  ;)
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I killed two deer with the same head last season, they work good for me. Four blade Black Diamond heads are my first choice.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Zwickeys are great heads.  I've shot through deer shoulders twice (oops) with a Zwickey 4 blade and 50-ish bows.  The Zwickey's seem to be a little harder steel to me than Magnus heads although Magnus passionately disagrees with that notion.    :knothead:  

The Magnus heads are excellent as well and I shoot them a lot, the Magnus you were using is one of the weakest heads they make and I'm sure that is part of your problem.  I think you'd find a 125 gr Magnus II glue on much stronger and Magnus does have the advantage of being easier to sharpen if that's an issue for you.

Good hunting whatever you choose.    :jumper:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
I've bent a couple Zwicky on deer.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I kind of wish I had not put the 100 grain brass inserts in my arrows because it makes sense that a 100 grain broadhead is going to be more likely to bend than a bigger heavier broadhead.  I guess I am going to give Zwicky a try.  Thank you all for your comments.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
i have had problems befor with magnus but every time i do i just take them back to the store where i got them and got new ones they have the warrenty for a reson i guess if your store won't do it send it back to them they will take it i take a lot of the stingers my wife mess's up back no questions asked i get new ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©