3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Musk ox down  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Musk ox down
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Man, I was getting nervous reading your drama. Glad you didn't run out of arrows. What are your thoughts on the archery equipment, you were using lighter stuff than I think most would have expected?

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
WOW that was a great story.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
What an adventure Bryce.  Maybe you will even get a repeat with grizzly and brownies!  We'll all be waiting!

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
What a story, Congrats !!! Ive dreamed of hunting big bears since I was a kid, glad to see that someone is not just dreaming. He looks to be huge in the pic, "how big of an ole bear was he ?"
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Bryce, I'm still jacked up from just reading and re-reading your Polar Bear Trad-Bowhunt.

I think the way you wrote it was action packed and we could see it unfold in our minds eye.

I would love to have heard him GROWL and JUMP into the dogs     :eek:    

Like a lot of animals we hunt the habitat they live in and call home is just amazing, " He was frozen stiff     :scared:     when we got to him 30 minuets later"  now that's inhospitable habitat.

May I ask a few questions:

How hard was it to shoot in that cold.

Was you penetration what you expected.

What would you have done different.

Can you bring him back to the USA.

What was your cost door to door ( you can PM me or if this is none of my business that's cool)

Thanks     :archer:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Imagine being able to go back to your personal
"archives" and re-live an EVENT such as this.

I re-live my Whitetail hunts that happened within minutes of my back door with such fondness, that it is hard to describe...I can`t even begin to imagine what something like this would be like.

I have enjoyed following along on this so much, I feel like I should pay admission.

For a final time, CONGRATULATIONS, and thanks again for including everyone who has logged on.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing this. I felt like I was there with you. Awesome story. Great bear and musk ox. Congrats.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
That is too cool!  Congratulations, you just accomplished what most of us get to dream about.  I hope you have a safe journey back home.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Are you kidding? Your hunt was impossible but you did it! I'd like to know if you ever consciously thought about becoming bear bait? How did you keep it together with a twisted Goliath man eater spitting distance and coked up on adrenaline? Story of the year!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Bryce, Congratulations on a great story and superb hunt, thanks for taking us all along. Best Regards Doug
TGMM

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Wow , i just found the thread and read all of the 10 pages!!!!!

I am so excited and wish i could read more,

CONGRATS on both hunts and adventure ,

I imagine what can you be feeling right now, with the sense of acomplishing the hunt and the emotion to get back to your familly, I wish you the best on future hunts and health and love to all of you family

thank you for sharing your adventure to all of us , I feel as if I am still up there with you
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Bryce, are you saying Polar Bear mounts cannot be brought into US from Canada or ALL mounts??
Brian,
There are 2 kinds of polar bears you can select to hunt, importable ones from alaska and non importable ones from Canada. The alaska PB hunt is 15K more in cost, I just didn't have that kind of cash. the canadian ones are less expensive but you cannot take a mount a hide, hair, tooth, fang or claw, skull, any single piece of it across the border from Canada into the usa. isn't that a shame? The Canadian gov't is really fighting the US on this one, they don't want to lose the hunters revenues for the inuit people. Hunters like us have a voice to reverse this idiotic decision so make yourself heard. My musk ox is not problem, it will be shipped to me around Christmas.
bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Kingwoulbe, I just got in to Ottawwa where I will spend the night here on a bench in the airport and catch a 6a flight out to Detroit, then Dallas, then Lubbock arriving to see my wife and kids at 745p. Let me try and answere your questions and by the way, thank you for asking. Here goes;
1. How hard was it to shoot in that cold. I practiced with all my gear on, including the white cover ups which I never even got a chance to put on. I found however my bowstring catching the coat due to the bulk so I figured out if I put on a bungy cord around my chest girth, I got the compression I needed for the string to clear. I had it tucked neatly in my pocket that covered my L thigh for "quick access" , ha!ha!little did I know.....Now how I shot the bear was a different story, I didn't have time to put on my chest strap, plus I had my optics and movie camera around my neck adding bulk to the coat, and worst of all I was not able to use my natural shooting form. I got to my anchor, index finger to my corner of my mouth and cock feather to my nose tip, but i was stooping forward somewhat in an effort to hold my bow out and away from my chest. I was worried about no chest strap. Plus, I had more bend in my bow arm than normal because I also didn't have on my sleeve compression. I was disappointed in my shot placement, i certainly didn't plan on shooting the bear from the angles presented to me nor with the bow held unnaturally away from my obstacles. i know this, my Almighty Lord and Savior Jesus Christ gets all the credit for the shooting to result in this bear's demise. Short answere, If I use a bungy strap on my chest and have nothing hanging on my neck, the shooting is actually quite doable. For cold weather shooting, up there you have to keep your hands covered or in seconds they will freeze and you can't shoot. That happened to me on the musk ox during my time to prep and put on my chest strap, take off my coat and optics, and put on my glove liner, plus a Filson wool glove, then my leather shooting glove. i actually had to take a minute and tear open a chemical hand warmer and jam my hand back in my fur mittens to get my fingers warm enough again so I could put my R hand liner, wool and shooting glove. Keep in mind it was my first day of the M.O. hunt so I was not expecting 3 hours into it to be on a herd of M.O. Now for the bear, i already had all the gloves on and just was wearing them inside my double fur mittens. The kiner and one layer of wool however will only protect you for a few minutes and the cold begins to stiffen your hand, followed by the pain and then weakness.

2.Was you penetration what you expected. yes,i had confidence the 56lbs was good, and at my draw length it was actually 62lbs. Considering I never took a broadside shot, i can't say what the penetration would of been but for my 2nd arrow to go thru the right chest and and comeout the L ribs, that that was good. In the bear pic, you can see what the bear bit off laying on the gound - at least in one of my pics you can see it. It was short, maybe 8" or so.

3. What would you have done different. the plan was to have Caleb shoot a video of the live action but he was not there, if that cold be changed, obviously i would have wanted that. I would have put my chest strap on over my coat as soon as Sam saw the 2 bears just in case what happened, happened - meaning we would be off in a flash after them. there was a minute looking back I could of done it. I would have removed my camera and optics at that time also. I would have used that 6th arrow for a broad side shot when I had the opprotunity. This way we would of had 1 more assurance the bear was dead so we coul dof approached it sooner and positioned it for photos before it froze and i would have tried to put snow all over it to hide the blood. After the kill, i would have asked Sam if we could have a more time just to soak in the moments, and not be in such a rush to get started skinning and quartering. In his defense, he may of known up there the weather is too unpredictable to lolly gag around. you could die trying to find your way back to camp and he was quite concerned about Calebo. I would stuff my camera in my coat let it warm up and take more pics. My low battery light came on at the end of the pics I took so I thought I was about done being able to take pics but later after my camera warmed back up, it still had enough power to shoot more pics. I think that would be it.

4. Can you bring him back to the USA. No, i can't bring him back but he is on the way to yellowknife to Robertson's Taxidermy on Monday( go check out their website  www.ssimicro.com/~wildart)  and he will be a full mount because i believe someday the US will allow the trophies to be brought in and if they never do, i will donate it to a place to display it. Or who knows, i may become a citizen/land owner in Canada with a cabin where I can hunt and have my traditional buddies like you guys come and spend some time.

5. What was your cost door to door? I don't have the exact total yet but roughly the outfitter fees were 5K for the M.O., 27K for the P.B. then you have airlines which ran about 5k and mine ended up more since I had to change my flights to come home early, then you have hotels at $200 a night - and it wasn't the ritz carlton, it was economy dirt cheapest you could get. meal swer $20-$25 each. The tags for M.O. and P.B. were $52.50 each and the export fee paid to Canada for the M.O. was $157.50 and they call it a harvest fee for the P.B. and it was $787.50. The pricing for the taxidermy will be roughly 5K for the M.O. and for the P.B. is roughly 8K. Then there was extra baggage weight costs of over $500, guide tipping fees that are unique to each hunter's own conviction. Now if you add cost to be away from work that could be another factor to consider.

I hope I didn't miss anything but fire away if you have more. i am here all night in the airport, online. moosehunter
bryce olson

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
OK, Bryce has more photos to share, so I am going to put them up for him along with his comments:

R hand is pond inlet, where the hunt started from and sled departed, Left hand is 103 miles later
where I shot the bear, via GPS coordinates required for the wildlife harvest papers
as you can see it is literally on top of the world!

This is a ring seal breathing hole, the polar bears primary food source,  the bears hunt the

ice looking for these and they lay waiting for the seal to come for a breath
and snag him out for lunch

82 miles from Pond inlet, at the end of the first day, my guide climbed a glacier and
spotted a bear so we took off after it but it turned out to be a 7 '  bear.
This photo was taken as he and the team were heading to me before I jumped aboard to join them.

taking a break, my guide sam

glassing for bear

the beast is down - an easy blood trail to follow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Awesome hunt...congrats!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Hey, congrats again, awesome, literally. Did you get to taste some PB meat? I know they harvest for food, just wondering how it would taste.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
No I did not, I should of. My brain was so scrambled at the end of all the excitement, we could of easily cooked some up but we had artic char for the celebration dinner. Another regret I would change if I did it over.
bryce olson

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Way to go Bryce! Looks like Steve beat me to the pics. What a HUNT!!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Awesome pics.  I gotta ask, what is with the seal strapped to the sled?  Food???

Mike

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
You gotta know when that bear mangled the dogs, he was a thought from you as dessert. From your supercharged story, I can feel his nasty blood slinging breath in my face. Did it happen too fast to be scared? Cool under fire is a rush junkie's fix. Easy one of the best stories I've ever read.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©