3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Musk ox down  (Read 4406 times)

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Musk ox down
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Congrats and good luck on the Polar Bear hunt.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Autum Archer, Let me answere your questions; Regarding the environment and possible demise of the p. bear, I have a local news paper article that cites the P bear population is so closely monitored these days with tagging, lip tattoo's, GPS coordiates citing locations and sightings, cub counts, ect... the population has grown from 8,000 to 25,000 P bears. The Inuits say from their experience, there is no change in temp, it is as cold as it has always been. While the months of Jan and Feb are not as cold as they were, the months of Mar and April are colder thatn they ever were. They do not buy the concept of global Warming and laugh about how ridiculous that whole idea is.
Every town I visited was so freindly, it was not uncommon to have every other or every third person you walked by stop, hold their hand and introduce themselves and say welcome to our town. Are you a hunter, yes I would say and they were happy I was there to hunt Polar bears. It is the life blood of the community. I almost felt like a celebrity or something.
We can all do our part by supporting our national organizations ( NRA, P & Y, Compton's, PBS ect..) and informing our politicians of our feelings about hunting and these issues we have close to our hearts. I hope more will turn out and join our fight to make hunting safe and a sport we can pass on for generations to come.
bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Mistagain, fortunately, a good ending to the dog trauma, I was curious and so I checked the pack over after we loaded the hide onto the sled. I love animals and beings how my father and brother are veternarians, i have been around dogs all my life. The sled dogs took well to me, the eskimo's commented that is not common. Most of them let me sit amoung them and pet them as much as I wanted. A few were more "wild" and not interested in a freindly neck rub and ear scratch. After the skinning and 1/4 ing, several of the dogs were all around me liking the blood off my gloved hands, boots and pant legs. The injured dog had blood in his fur but did not appear to be hurt too bad. He ran with the sled team and was quite resilient. I don't know how he survived that but some how he made it through. I asked Sam later about my unexpected way the hunt unfolded, no dogs were released to distract the bear. He said this team was 10 new dogs and I old one. He reminded me when he first saw the bear, he loosed the old dog but that would not run to catch the bear so he put him back on the tether to pull the sled. Every polar hunt story is unique, I am very fortunate mine turned out so well.
bryce olson

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Totally awesome Bryce  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
wasapt, thatnks for the insight. I was curious,as my kids are constantly bombarded with the gloabl warming BS at school. I can't wait for them to drop that info on the next teacher who tries to fill thier heads with nonsense LOL.

Congrats on your adventure.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Excellent...thanks so much for sharing your hunt and telling the story so well.  Getting your wife involved was great and probably helped her to cope with you being away so long on a dangerous game hunt.  She sounds like a "keeper".
Welcome home to the "Hub City of the South Plains" and God bless you and your family.
Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
What can I say....  :thumbsup:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Very exciting and fun read.  Congratulations to you and your family, as it was truely a family affair.  It's great that you had such support.

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
U might as well get your polar bear before they all dissapear.  Buy the time I can afford one ill have to go to the ft. woth zoo
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I am pretty sure I couldn't shoot a target with all those clothes on,much less a roaring Polar Bear at close range...  :scared:  

My hat is off to you sir...  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I'm right there with you Santiam , not to mention the overload of excitement with all that was going on , good job keeping it together Bryce.
Thanks for sharing , great hunt

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Autumnarcher, to say global warming is BS is to ignore a whole heap load of data.  Whether part of a natural cycle, man-made or man-assisted, the average global temperature is increasing ever-so-slowly.  What is extremely unfortunate is how many people, on both sides of the issue, are misusing, misinterpreting and misrepresenting the data.  Changes in global weather patterns are being seen and Bryce cited one above.  Some areas are getting warmer, some colder, and the pattern of the seasonal changes are differing from the historical patterns.  'nuf of that.

Bryce, I enjoyed the story!  You've done something special way up North!!

It's a damn shame politics won't let you bring the bear home.  With the bear population growing every year though, hopefully reason will prevail in the near future!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
I'm believing with you Jeremey that in time enough pressure will be brought that they wil allow bears to be brought in. I will really be excited when I next see that critter, harmless of course, and able to size him up again.
bryce olson

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I have read that the Inuits like the 222, 22-250, 223. The small caliber is not an issue as it is great on seals and I read they  will gut shoot a bear or other large animal and follow til it is done.

I gleened that from a book or magazine a long time ago.

Cool story!
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
Jeremy, I too beleive that man made global warming is junk science. There is plenty of data countering the "Truth" of couse there is little money to be made and much power to be gained selling the Captrade, carbon credits etc. The nasty fact is that the majority of Climatoligists do not aggree with the MMGW model. In fact data supports that we have been actually cooling the past decade.

Is there climate change? Of course there is and it has been going on before man was here and will continue long after we are gone.
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I am speechless...

I guess the firing pin was frozen? And only a 22-250??????

What a story! THAT is a hunt of a lifetime! Thanks for taking us along!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
greg I believe you have something there on the gun caliber. Those guys are survivors up there and have plenty of skill to make do what what they have. this way they can carry 1 rifle as sort of an all purpose gun instead of needing 2.
bryce olson

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Bryce new pics posted on pg 8 for you
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Wow!!!! Thats as real as adventure gets.Glad your back home to your family.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I wanted to read my daddy's story again, thank you for praying for him when he was away. I am glad he is back. We are going to shoot our bows together. I just turned 7. Aspen
bryce olson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©