3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Musk ox down  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Musk ox down
« Reply #220 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
I have a more philosophical question. Is this a measure of prowess, or wealth?

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
One or both ( never had much use fer*  phillysoficall* questions) who cares as long as I can live vicariously through the story.

**Disclaimer: this site is not responsible for the spelling error of rednecks typing on a little electronic device at this early in the morning. Especially when done for the amusement of the speller with no regard for the English language   :laughing:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
It takes money, but not everyone with money has the will to make these hunts happen.  It's a lot easier sitting by the poolside drinking fruity drinks with little umbrellas than bouncing around at -40.  Give hunting in cold weather a try for a few days then come back and let us know if you've decided if its prowess or wealth that makes you stick it out    :)

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
Pretty awesome read! Congrats!
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
I did a full body mount of the musk oz and the polar bear. You can see both if you can shoot me an email. I'm hoping the idiots in Congress change the law regarding letting the polar bear trophies return to the USA but until then, mine will stay in the showroom at Robertsons taxidermy in Yellow knife. As for prowess or wealth, I'm much richer from the soul cleansing received as Fred Bear stated regarding chafing the great bears will provide. I still drive my '99 suburban with 218,000 miles on it and provide for 6 kids aged 7-14. I work lots of hours- weekend, evenings and holidays to pay taxes that support many who choose not to work. And I will still plan adventures and read of and write stories for many of my bro's of the traditional Bowhunting clan, God willing. It's been 4 years since the great white bear hunt and hopefully soon I will pen brown bear and grizzly success adventures. Just saving money and vacation time.......
bryce olson

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Well that just proves why I don't like fillysoficall uestions. Now instead of just blissfully living vicariously I may have to get off my lazy rear end and chase something through snow ( which I'm also not too keen of) or should I say have something chasing me through snow. Heard them white bears like that sort of thing.   :jumper:  

Nice story Bryce
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
I didn't mean to minimize all the positive attributes it takes to pull a hunt like this off. Dedication, commitment, will, cold tolerance, heat tolerance (I'm even more impressed that you practiced in all that gear in Texas!). However, given the relative ease in which your guides put you in proximity to these animals, (if I read the timeline correctly, both were taken on the second day?) I wonder if from a purely hunting standpoint, if these were your most challenging hunts and if it didn't seem somewhat anticlimactic after all the planning and preparation that went into them?

Also... Isn't your taxidermist in the states? How come they can keep the bear in their showroom?

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Planning and preparation is what makes over 90 percent of hunts successful. Then there is the occasional coincidence followed by dumb luck. Then beginners luck. The guides live that work so they are hired and charge not just for the time they are on the hunt but the countless days they live and scout and get to know who is where, animal wise.
 Meanwhile the hunter has planned this for years as Bryce said so as to make hard earned time and money well spent and successful.
      Gone are the days of mountain men wandering around the dingleberries doing it all themselves so today the success and excitement of the hunt isn't just the week one is in the field but in preparing for it.
      If a person didn't like the preparation, planning , map reading and scout scouting ( getting to know and have confidence in your guides) then I suppose on the surface it could look like taking 2 days to plug a bear in a zoo but I would guess there is more to it than that. I could be wrong but it takes me all winter to get a turkey.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I enjoyed this the second time around as much as the first.  Any pics of the full mounts??

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
The pics are awesome and he has a painting of the hunt  he will send if you PM him. Loved it
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Juan Matos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Yep he was kind enough to email the pics.  Loved that painting.

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Wow, cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
I guess my polar bear hunt and my musk ox hunts being successful soon into the hunt did not allow me the experience of weathering the harsh elements multiple days with no trophy. I have great respect for hunters who persevere thru those elements and finally get the job done. Even worse, the hunters who have to repeat the hunt cuz they return empty handed. I fully give my Lord and Savior the credit as I prayed for safety and success. I have hunted multiple species, multiple times, and not returned successful the first try- coues, bison, pronghorn, Blacktail deer, and have yet to punch my tag on mountain goat, Canadian moose, brown bear, Rocky Mountain elk ( 3 tries) ....... It was not anticlimactic to harvest my polar bear. Fred Bear hunted the great white bear multiple times because his back up gun man had to shoot the charging bear. Mine was not bayed up by dogs, mine charged us so it was quite an experience. My musk ox hunt was not easy either, the frigid cold was tough as well. I will always hold my great north hunting days as dear memories cuz it tested me greatly. As for my mounts, Robertsons Taxidermy is in Yellowknife , in Canada. My musk ox shipped but my polar bear is not able to make the trip until the fools in D.C. change the laws they made to " protect the polar bear" The idiots in Washington are doing more harm than good and are too stupid to know what damage that legislation is doing up the bears habitat and the Inuits economy who depend on the outfitting/guide income. Last, seems like we all see a different degree of challenge in the details. To date, the near death moment of a raging monster bear 15 yards away attacking the dogs, and coming after me as I loosed 5 arrows into him, with one boot on, and an inoperative back up gun, was my greatest challenge to date. I have waded the icy streams at 1am with bow in hand, bear pistol in the other, in the dark over slippery moss covered rocks, with no tracking poles. Staying on high alert for the 60 minute hike back to spike camp praying no bears would attack us, night after night, was a whole different challenge. Being snowed in on top of a mountain in a 2 man tent for 3 days chasing goats was a challenge. Cat walking logs across rivers, climbing mountains and over coming narrow trails with no safety lines.... That is quite challenging as well. My experiences pale in comparison to the legends that we look up to and read about. I do enjoy being out there and look forward to sharing more hunts in the years to come.
bryce olson

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
http://s973.photobucket.com/user/bolson1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9379.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I commissioned an artist to paint the moment of the bear charging the dog sled. It turned out really nice!
bryce olson

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David M. Conroy

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
That is so cool   :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
That is awesome my friend!! It is simply amazing to look at all you have accomplished since we met in the Tulsa airport. When was that...10, maybe 11 years ago? You done well Pilgrim!! Wishing you all the best for the New Year and Merry CHRISTmas!!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Bryce, both you and the artist 'did good'.  
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
This post is like a great book. You have to read it again every now and then!! Wow!! I keep picturing the polar bear in the dogs and you ripping your foot out of the boot and coming out launching arrows!!! Amazing experience!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
This is such a great story that you almost forget it was two real hunts by a guy with a stickbow. I wish the artist could have caught the detail of you without a boot on one foot!
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©