3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Musk ox down  (Read 4410 times)

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Musk ox down
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Bryce, Good Luck and keep us posted. When I grow up I wanna be able to hunt places like you are doing  :notworthy:
TGMM

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Great story so far. Congrats on the ox. Good luck on the Nanuk. I envy you.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Congrats on a terrific musk ox!  You picked the best taxidermist in yellowknife.  Robertson's Taxidermy did a great job mounting my musk ox...tell Greg I said hi.

Best of luck on the polar bear.
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Bryce, I'm digging your avatar   :thumbsup:  The only better one I could think of is a WHITE BEAR.

Smoke one for the team, your probably doing the deed right now.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
:scared:  

You said "POLAR BEAR" - with a bow!!!

How do the boys fit in your britches?
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Nice...now go fill that Bear tag!....Good luck
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Congrats on The Musk Ox, Good luck, Hunt Safe and shoot straight. Looking forward to the Bear excursion details. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Great story and good luck on the man eater. I wonder what the feeling would be like to pull back on a polar bear at 20 yards or so. Not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Wasapt:

Congratulations on living the dream. Please write the story for we who will continue to dream.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Congrats on the muskox and good luck on the polar bear!!! What an awesome adventure, thanks for taking your Trad Gang buddies along!!!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
bohuntr, I really wish you would change your avitar.  I REALLY want that buck! Industrial mass!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Jon, I really would love to change the Avatar ... if I shot a cool double drop tine buck like yours I definitely would. No muskox or polar bear for me in the forseeable future so I will have to see if I can get a bigger elk or whitetail this fall!
    Hopefully we will get an update on the polar bear hunt in the near future!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
bohuntr, what did that thing score?  I can't tell but it looks like a main frame 8 but maybe a 9.  The mass and spread on that thing makes me stare. Bet he did not have much left for teeth. My fiance says I've got "big buck envy"!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I LOVE big 4x4's the best!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
PM'd you Jon.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Bryce, congrad's on the Musk Ox, and shoot straight on the Polar Bear. Stick and string on the artic ice cap, what an adventure it must be. Good luck and God's speed, Mark
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Hi you men ( Ladies too I suppose?) of traditional archery, my husband is Moosehunter, or Bryce and I am his wife. He is so crazy about reading this forum, he does it practically everynight in bed instead of watching TV. Sometimes he wakes up in the night and I hear him click, click, clicking away on the keyboard and there he is, sending some message. I had to send you a quick note from him, I spoke to him via satellite phone  and he asked that I pass this along. Let me see if I can get all these details, I took some notes. After he got his tag and lic. Tues morning, he got his gear loaded on 1 of the 2 sleds. It was on the sled he was riding on along with the food, tent, fuel for the snow machines, ect. The second sled carried the 11 sled dogs and stacked on top, the dog sled which is smaller and has some sort of plastic runner lining so it goes easier in the snow. The trip that first day was 82 miles to where they spent the first night. He said the ride was really rough and quite jarring and very cold. It was windy, gray and snowing ice crytals he said they call it, a really fine and powdery like snow. He said he took alot of pictures of glaciers and rough broken up ice and they also saw bear tracks. He said the inuit's would stop every few hours and melt snow and make tea - but he brought hot chocholate since he prefers it over tea. They ate bannick (spell?) bread with butter, apparently that is what they eat up there, some dense short bread without yeast. Also, slices of a sort of summer sausage, and would be on there way. He got a caribou coat to wear and said it was quite warm but had started to mold on the inside because it was stored damp and he didn't like the smell so he won't wear it anymore. When they got to the first night to camp, the inuit's climbed a glacier and spotted a bear so they came down and got the dog team harnessed up and went after it. It ended up being a 7' bear but Bryce wants an 8' or better, if possible. He said the  inuits said 7 to 7 1/2 are good bears and better to eat but he said to them, not on the first day. Apparently earlier on the trip, they saw a mom and a smaller cub as well so 3 bears the first day was exciting. He said the had  boiled "chicken" wings for dinner along with vegatables, mashed potaotes and bannick bread. Later the inuits said they were raven wings, not chicken. He sounds really excited and said the ride on the dog sled was way cool. He said it is colder than Holman was and that was -30. since -40 F and -40 C is the same ( so I'm told )I guess it is just flat cold. Anyway, all for now. I'll check back. Liesl ( Aspen says hi)
bryce olson

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks a lot for the update. It sounds like you got the lingo down pretty good!

Hope the hunt goes well, we are all keeping up.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Mrs. Moosehunter--that is just about the coolest post I have read in a long time!  Keep the updates coming...  :thumbsup:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the update.  This is an adventure many of us will never experience so it is cool to read about.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©