3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New STOS heads, 4blades? Update from STOS!  (Read 659 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
New STOS heads, 4blades? Update from STOS!
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Hi all,

Was just thinking the other day about the new STOS lineup that is coming out soonish (from all accounts) and I was thinking how the STOS head would look good in a 4 blade.

Your thoughts on the matter please.

ak.   :saywhat:
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New STOS heads, 4blades? Update from STOS!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
STOS lineup that is coming out soonish
I think we are pushing a year now on those, I keep hearing soon soon. Anyways yeah I'd like to see them do a 4 blade.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:00 AM »
A 4 blade head would be good.  When do you get your next break from the fun   :knothead:  ?
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Al....here's a perspective from someone that's actually been killing animals with 4 blades for two and a half decades....and hope to be doing so 2 more decades from now.

I think a 4 blade STOS would be a great head...add another blade to a head that is already very well made and stout as an ox with a great angle of attack, and I think it would make a great hog head for sure....and would be good for other big game as well.

There's also a few new 3 blades on the market, and another one coming I hear, soooo....it aint all 2 blades that are coming out.....and, just because a new head does come out, doesn't mean the head of yesterday all of the sudden don't work. If that was the case the head of choice for me would have been out of production 30 years ago, but I keep dropping animals with them....yeah, a 4 blade.

So, Al,...yes, I think a 4 blade STOS would be a dandy head, and I would have no reservations using them on big game at all.  If you've got any pull...get it done and I'll be 1st in line to buy a couple dozen.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Jo-jo, mate in about three odd weeks brother. Freezer is empty too! I gotta get some folding stuff to you for the shafts as well...

Thanks for that Terry. I've always liked the STOS for what it is, a tough two blade head. Just had me thinking if you kept the same style head that is out now and just made it into a 4 blade head it'd have to sell? Why shoot... I'd by a stack for coming up with the idea!

I'll send over an email to the fine folks at STOS HQ and see what maybe on the cards?

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm keen on the new, heavy STOS, too.

Great points, Terry. I've read with great interest threads on this topic, especially the one Guru started with such an innocent question! It seems there are many ace bowhunters out there on both sides of the fence, with anecdotes to back them up. I've got anecdotes going both ways. I've been a 2-blade enthusiast, but have also used 3-blades. There're a couple of Aussie pig-killing machines who use BW recurves in the mid-60s in poundage, and they swear by 3-blades even - especially - on the biggest boars. I can't argue with their success.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I really enjoy looking forward to trying out new heads, and many of the newer designs are certainly well thought out (unlike prior eras where most new designs turned out to be flawed).  Having said the above, my money is still on the big snuffer. If you have the steam and are shooting under 220 fps, the big snuffer is the best thing going for anything in north america. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Just my 2 cents
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Yeah Al, and I'd like to see the bleeder not defeat the original purpose of the head....and have the bleeder the same angle of attack if possible.

Ben...I've just about gone exclusively to Wensel Woodsmans for hogs...as I don't have to worry about running into  large one with heavy shields and having to change arrows on the string to a different head.  They penetrate as good as a 2 blade, yet leave more blood on the ground....from my experience.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Al, Good for you on the time off bud...best of luck to you filling the freezer    :thumbsup:

Wow...another reminder that I've been shooting the wrong BH's for thirty years now....hard to believe I've actually killed anything with my old bad killing designed Zwickeys, WW, and Snuffers    ;)

I think a 4 blade Stos, like Terry said with the bleeder having the same angle of attack, would be a super broadhead Al

As far as the strength of the ABS heads...maybe this was a fluke, but the only one I've ever seen shot was snapped in half on a TX hog...I hope it was just a fluke....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
I really like the bleeder blades that Zephyr makes and that are also used with Eclipse broadheads.  They are brittle and will snap or shear when a hard object is encountered and the rest of the broadhead will continue.  I have a couple of STOS heads at home.  I will see if I can cut a slot in the ferule with the dremel and put some of those bleeders in and see what it looks like.  If I can accomplish that I will post some pictures here.  I have only shot 2 animals with a 4 blade head, 1 Bison in Montana and 1 Basalt boar in Australia, but in both cases pentration was out the far side so using a 4 blade head didn't seem to be a hinderance.  If I make it back to Africa I will also be using 4 blades or 160 grain Snuffers this time.  Did'nt have any penetration problems there with Zephyr Sausquatch and Magnus 1 broadheads.  I think I definetly would have benefitted from a multiblade head on 2 of my animals.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Okay, here is the pictures of a STOS with a bleeder blade installed,

I cut the slot in the ferule free hand using a dremel tool with a cutoff disc.  You would probably want to be a little more precise for hunting purposes to ensure that the bleeder ends up perpindicular to the main blade unlike this one but this is for display purposes only.  I think this would be a big improvement over a regular STOS.  Joseph

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Very nice Joseph.  I too would like to see a "long, lean and mean" 4 blade head.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks Joseph.....I'd wouldn't be afraid to use that head on any hog I came in contact with.

Great bomb-proof head and sleek penetraiting design....with the smaller bleeders to negate shaft pinch and leave a hole rather than a slit for better blood letting.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:00 AM »
The slots I cut in this one extend down to the back edge of the bleeder blade.  I think it would be better to cut the slot farther forward so the bleeder came to a stop at the bottom of the slot.  A dremmel cut off disc is just the right thickness for the Zephyr bleeders and I don't think it would be hard to come up with a simple jig so you could cut the slot in the right place and properly aligned every time.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
I used alot of the stos but I have a question,,,, I just recieved the 140gr stos 2-blades with the 42gr aluminum long adaptors and they don't fit together good or like they should (I've bought this same set-up in the past) with 3 of them wobbling so bad I couldn't get them to spin perfect????  I did spin test the adaptors while on the arrows and they looked perfect and its not them so I'm thinking its the STOS broadhead and something up with the ferral OR the tolerance is different now somehow with one or the other.

has anyone encountered this with any recent STOS broadheads???
"Us vs Them"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
I like it Joseph   :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
I have also made up one with bleeders but have not used it yet.I for one would love a 4 blade model of the Stos.Great head but a little small for me.The added bleeders would be a great upgrade for us guys that prefer more cut.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Tajue 17, I have never mounted one on anything but a wood shaft but on the 2 I have the ferrules do not look as round as the ferrules on my Zephyrs, Snuffers, or Eclipse broadheads.  I know when wood gets hot it will soften and mold a little to the shape you are pushing it into.  Aluminium won't do that.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
That franken-head looks right deadly. Might have to go that route.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Cheers Jo-Jo on the pics of the "Up armoured" STOS 4 blade. That is just what I'm talking about right there. I'll send this page to the crew over at STOS and see what comes of it.

No doubt they've already thought this plan through some but it's worth a try.

ak.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©