3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New STOS heads, 4blades? Update from STOS!  (Read 660 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New STOS heads, 4blades? Update from STOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I've been a fan of the double bevel STOS for many years. Man do they slip through a critter!

I've hacked up a few like you Joseph but never killed anything with them. I used spare Simmons bleeders and some superglue gel to keep it from rocking around. I did have to slot the insert to get the bleeder in but with the right designed bleeder I think the STOS guys could do very well with it.

The most logical way to build it in the STOS is the punch out like the Zwickeys but I prefer a spring steel "Bear head" type bleeder.

Alex, remind me to give you one with a bleeder when you're here in June. Since I've switched to 300gr heads it's hard for me to get the STOS to that weight.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks, Joe. I really like this idea. Hope it materializes. It'll probably materialize in my garage if Stos doesn't do it before August.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Good point in regards to to the Zwickeys and their bleeder blades JC... that would be a strong head right there.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
Hi again all.

Well I emailed Todd from the STOS operation the other day and here is his reply (rather speedy too I might add, well done that man!) and I quote after his permission:

"Hello Al,

Yes, I agree with all of you about a 4 blade STOS.  Long, lean, with a nice brittle bleeder positioned so as to allow enough wood in the ferrule, would be awesome.  I have given it quite a bit of thought.  When we started with the MP (the new single bevel head), it was either going to be that or a 4 blade.  The problem is that it really takes a new die to do it right from the start (punch a slot for the bleeder).  We decided on the completely new single bevel head.  

I feel eventually we will have a 4 blade, but that is down the road a ways.

Keep em sharp.

Thanks.
Todd"

So... that sounds good but I had a question in regards to just what the bleeder blade would look like and again with Todd's permission here is his reply:

"The bottom line is that it is a good idea.  When it will happen I cannot say at this point.
Premature to say about design, but would make more sence to me to have a slot for a replaceable bleeder.  

I am always open to advice and suggestions from Traditional Bowhunters.

Take care.

Todd"

So there you have it...the good oil on the 4 blade situation from STOS. Myself I'd rather a solid 4 blade very much like the Zwickey over the slide in model with a small slit cut into the head.

Anyhow post away your thoughts on the matter.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
I grew up using 4 blade bear b'heads and they sure did leave a good  blood trail. since going back to shooting Hills and pretty much using a back quiver i've been limited pretty much to two blade heads and can't complain about their performance. having said that last year i carried my arrows in a side quiver and used some three and four blades. best blood trail went to a three blade snuffer on a good sized hog, without offside penetration. not far behind was a zwickey w/bleeder blades...with complete offside penetration. give me a STOS with bleeder's and i'd be very interested.

cheers

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
No word on when the single bevels will be ready?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
I personally think they should have gone the other way with their decision and gone with the 4 bl. But SB's are all the rage now     :rolleyes:    

I think they'd be helping a lot more folks out with an easy to sharpen, replaceable bleeder,blood dumping, 4 bl....

My thoughts are that as more people start using sb's and find out they're not as easy to sharpen(for the majority,and folks not willing to buy and carry specialty sharpeners with them all the time), that a lot will be going back to a regular 'ol, time tested, easy to sharpen, db heads.

Just some thought's, we'll see how it plays out...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »
My thoughts exactly Curt... but I do understand the economics of his decision. The ferrule die is a very expensive proposition. A grind change is pretty cheap.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
I agree 100% with Guru.The Stos is a great easy to sharpen head that would be super with the zwicky bleeders.There is enough broadhead makers jumping on the single bevel thing that those few that will use them have plenty of options when buying.The 4 blade Stos would fill a spot for a great penitrating head with some extra cut to  put more blood on the ground.It would most likly be the only head that would make me comfortable changing from my larger Simmons.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the updates...No worries,  4 blades Zwickeys and WWs are certainly getting the job done for me.  I still think that would be a dandy head for most any North American game.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
My thoughts exactly Curt... but I do understand the economics of his decision. The ferrule die is a very expensive proposition. A grind change is pretty cheap.
I thought the same thing. I seem to remember someone telling me that dies can cost something like $20k(?). That's a lot of broadheads just to break even.

But it shure would be a nasty little 4-blade head.   :eek:

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
I thought the same thing. I seem to remember someone telling me that dies can cost something like $20k(?). That's a lot of broadheads just to break even.
I looked into having high speed injection molds made one time for a fly fishing idea I had. I was quoted 10K-15K, there went that idea. And that was 12+ years ago. Couple years later someone else did it.
   "[dntthnk]"
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
If and when STOS do a solid 4 blade like the Zwicky I'll give up all other heads...peroid! I'd even offer to test and sell back home in Aussie.

ak.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
any new about STOS???

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
i like it, iv been shooting the Magnus 1 4 blade and love them for softer game like deer and pigs, a 4 blade stos would be a great head!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
Yes I would like to see how they look,if they are been delivered.The slim design makes them for great penetration and the bleaders just add more blood trail and tissue damage.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
For what it's worth... I made up a couple of wildcat STOS heads with a Magnus bleeder this past year.

Looks really cool and though not a great test I did put one through the ribs of a doe whitetail. Thought I'd missed at first.
I guess that's not the best scenario for a broadhead test, but the arrow did go through real fast.

Blood trail was acceptable even though my light went dead in the middle of tracking.

If I was shooting lighter equipment, it would be a natural choice for me. Not to hard to make them either.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Wouldn't the Zwickey No Mercy 4 blade have similar dimensions to a STOS 4 blade? Seems like pretty much the same thing to me, albeit lower quality steel perhaps.

Craig

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I suppose that if the original thread starter had asked for "substitutes" for the STOS the Zwickey would be a candidate.

However, that is not what this thread is about.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©