3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which bow fishing reel is better amsretrieve bottle reel or zebco 808  (Read 617 times)

Offline first year hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
i am having trouble deciding which is better. i want to get the zebco because it is cheaper but i want to know if the ams is safer for the exra price

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which bow fishing reel is better amsretrieve bottle reel or zebco 808
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I have only used the Zebco 888 for bowfishing. It works good for me..I have often thought about getting the ams retriever.

I still tie the string to the nock end of the arrow   :knothead:   should switch for the safety aspect.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I broke 2 Zebco reels in one year.  I've been using the same AMS for about 4 years. No contest for me, the AMS is the way to go.

The AMS is worth the money.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I shot with a compound shooter last night who used a Zebco.  My son and I both used AMS Retrievers.  I had ample opportunity to witness them both in action.  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the retriever is significantly safer...but...the Zebco is hands down faster and more consistent on retrieval.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
Gregg nailed it. At night, We move along very fast and it's hard to deal with a retriever reel. When we are shooting in the Day time and the shots are longer or wading, we'll nearly always use a retriever....Both are very good systems and both have their place.......Ask Guru what he thinks. He used a retriever with us last week.....Don and Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
I have used both, and the AMS is the best in my mind without question.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Go to the Great lakes Bowfishing Championship and the vast majority of shooters will be shooting AMS. That tells you something. They might be slower on retrieve but my experience is that they are more reliable and safer.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
When they're working, I'd go w/ the Zebco. BUT, they're not made like they were used to and as mentioned above, I find them to be very unreliable.   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Hey Guys, the AMS is an awesome system and I know you can land big fish on it but.....Here on Lake Guntersville and in the Gulf you have a really good chance of shoot of shooting really big...50-60 lb. Buffalo, Catfish up to 80 lbs., Grass Carp to 85 lbs.....We don't get shots at these fish often but often enough to make you prepare for the opportunity...A detachable bottle system would work OK BUT WE DO SHOOT A LOT OF Smaller FISH ALSO....These big fish are like hunting a trophy animal to us...And When and If you get an arrow in one, you don't want the bottle on your AMS turned wrong side out because you ran out of line and had no way to stop it. It's a tug of war match that you will lose..... We sell both of these Reels and Sell parts for them also. I have a good Idea about the strenghts and Weaknesses of both........AND go to the Muzzy Classic on Lake Guntersville see what the participants are using and check out the Average Size of the fish the winners have......Not trying to Argue, just telling Ya'll what works for us Rednecks......Don Wilson
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Like Don said, Gregg nailed it 100%! I love my retriever, but after shooting off a boat for the first time last week. It was clear that quickness and line control was way easier with a reel than my AMS system.....

For the shooting that Gary, Tim, and I do all summer here in NY, the AMS is perfect for me....but next time I head down to Don's, I'll be shooting a new Muzzy reel....

Last I talked to Mark Land the new improved version was almost ready...I'll own one soon!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Great info guys..sounds like each situation calls for a different set up.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
The Zebco is an OK reel if the fish don't get too big. If you bowfish for BIG buffalo or alligator gar I would definitely go witht the slotted retriever. It can be rigged with a float for the really big fish.

Bisch

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
I also use the Zebco 888 with the stainless gears. It was a new, in the original package, 1985 unit I found of an internet auction site. Bought it three years ago and it has been trouble free. I use 30# test mono line mainly for safety if I forget to hit the release before I shoot. Also back the drag down then back up when fish on. Just a couple of safety precautions. Would rather have the arrow break the string and be gone than to have it come back in your face if you forget to hit the release before shooting. And I have done that.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
so what do you guys use for shooting 8' sharks without floats? ams and zebco won't cut it.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
ozy..what do you use for sharks   :scared:  we don't have any sharks in Missouri..at least I haven't seen any   "[dntthnk]"
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
ozy, 30/06??
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
ozy, 30/06??
:biglaugh:  That was exactly what I was thinking!!
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I started with the zebco and now shoot the AMS which is clearly better IMO

I've not had any trouble getting it wound back in quickly from a boat or from shore it's still a real that you real in and I've not spent any time trying to get it unstuck from the inside of the real which happens after awhile with the zebco...or it did for me anyway
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Actually I much prefer a spincast reel for most of my fishing and have been since the beginning.  I can easily get off 2-3 shots in the time it takes to use a retriever and I like being able to reel the fish in with my reel as well and not have to throw down the bow and pull the fish in by hand.  
Now the disclaimer!  Spincast reels do require more maintenance and technique to use properly and you must do these for your reel to work and last longer.  
Retrievers are very simple and sturdy and will do very well for most people, are probably easier to start out with and use!  But for shooting a lot of fish and shooting bigger fish, I like my spincast reels better.
Now for sharks and big stuff, we use the slotted retriever reels with a float system and detachable point system as well, as the barbs on fish pts will normally not hold fish and animals several hundred pounds in weight.  Many sharks and large game type fish have been taken with our Gator Getter equipment including some sharks in the 800-100# range, but you have to use an appropriate float system for those.  Even some offshore pelagic fish have been taken including tuna, marlin, sailfish, etc. in those places where it is legal to take them.  I personally have harvested several large alligators with that system including my 12 1/2ft, 740# gator from GA in 2007.
Different setups for different stuff but for any fish up to 200# or so, I will be using my spincast reel on my bow.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
If I see an 8 ft shark, I'm going to leave him alone and hope he returns the favor.
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©