3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I was at full draw and "CRAAAAAACK!"  (Read 287 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
I was at full draw and "CRAAAAAACK!"
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Yep,  it was windy and I was shooting anyway.  Just got to my last arrow and was at full draw when I heard it.  CRAAAAAACK!!!!   The limb broke.   The big limb on the maple tree right beside the target.   Scared the bejeeemsus out of me.

On a lighter note, I'm really irritated with O.L. because he makes me think, and at my age that could be either good or bad.  I managed to to do some cutcherin' to my bow/arrow setup and will update on that in a few more days when I will be pretty sure it's still together 8^).

I'll give you a hint as to my mental state..   :rolleyes:  ,  I took an older recurve with decent looking overlays, and I've been using a D-97 string on it.  I added a 100 grains to my arrows to absorb more of the energy, and have been shooting it now for a week or so.  

What I will say at this point, while I still have both of my eyes, is that I maintained the same distance cast with the heavier arrow as I had with the lighter one, even though I lifted the brace by 3/4" to accomodate the bow's personality.  It is very mild on the shot and very crisp on the release.  I'm watching intently for any anomaly.

I don't have much invested in the setup so I can experiment a bit to see what it will convey to us.  It is also a lighter draw weight (45#) which I think may help it put up with the low stretch.  We shall see.

It's all O.L.'s fault....he just keeps yappin' and yappin' about these things and sooner or later, and old fool such as myself is going to start experimentin'.   I thought I went through this once with Paul Klopsteg.  More to follow.     :knothead:

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I was at full draw and "CRAAAAAACK!"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
geez  George    :scared:  you had me there!
be careful      :campfire:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I usually listen to what ever someone says concerning new techniques in traditional archery and then decided for myself if it is an improvement for me or not. When OL has something to say it is usually worth listening to .
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
George you did get me also   :mad:    I thought your Bow blew up.

So, your saying that a crotchety old man can learn some new tricks     :saywhat:   lol

George what I like about you is your stubborn, kinda like my self, I see your slow to make any changes, but hey, your on the computer and they didn't have them when you where in grade school.

What I like about OL. & Doc. Asheby is they think outside the box, I have made a lot of changes to my set up based on there research, if I like it, I'll keep it, if not, I don't sweet it and move on.

With all do respect, you old dog     :p

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Hey King,

Us old dogs can learn new tricks too.  It's just that unlike pups, who will learn a new trick for any reason, we need to see why it's worth our while to learn a new one.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Good for you.  Congratulations on the fact that you are still willing to try new things.   :thumbsup:

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I was hoping that you weren't injured when I first read your subject. Good one, you got me too. Glad it wasn't your bow!

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Got me too George. Cracking sounds at full draw are scary. I got myself slugged once for breaking an arrow shaft behind a guy testing his new 110 lb. longbow.   :knothead:      :biglaugh:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Tree Man!
Laughing out loud...scared the dog!!
It would be worth getting slugged.   ;)

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Used to pick up dead wooden arrow shafts off the range at MoJam....all them boys with all them wooden bows they put so many hours into...

Walk down to the flight shoot, wait for the all clear and snap that arrow shaft when everyone is just settling into their draw...

Glad you are OK, George.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
"What I like about OL. & Doc. Asheby is they think outside the box ..."

What is this "box" thing?    :goldtooth:
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Jim,  it's a yuppie term that simply makes a more interesting conversation.  The box is supposed to be where everyone else is....you know, us regular pinheads.  It could have been circle, rather than box, but a circle is less confining...no corners.     ;)  

It's all good, unless the people in the box have been right all along.    :saywhat:    :p  
Hey...but what do I know, I hear it's okay now to end some sentences with a preposition.  Go figure.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Jim,  it's a yuppie term that simply makes a more interesting conversation.  The box is supposed to be where everyone else is....you know, us regular pinheads.  It could have been circle, rather than box, but a circle is less confining...no corners.      ;)  

It's all good, unless the people in the box have been right all along.     :saywhat:      :p  
Hey...but what do I know, I hear it's okay now to end some sentences with a preposition.  Go figure.
OK now im confused. What the heck is a preposition and what does it have to do with a box?  :banghead:    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
wtpops,

A preposition (unlike a proposition)and its relationship to a box is best illustrated by an old joke.

A delivery man walks into a college office and says "where do you want me to put this box at?"

The self-impressed college official says "Young man, 'at' is a preposition and we never end a sentence with preposition."

The delivery man replies "OK, where do you want me to put this box at, dipstick?"

Thereby proving George's point, sometimes it's OK to end with a preposition.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Oh, btw, "thinking outside the box" is often what people with no clue how to achieve what they want say to those who are stuck with the job of getting whatever the clueless one wants done.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
Okay George, I was gonna let your spelling mishap slide; but ya hadda go an git the English teacher to back ya up...
That ain't right, my friend. LOL

Happy for you but, sorry for the limb. Oh wait, you have a couple others,huh?    :p    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©