3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SKULL CLEANING QUESTION ???  (Read 449 times)

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
SKULL CLEANING QUESTION ???
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I was out turkey scouting this weekend and found a real nice coyote skull. My question is after I get it cleaned up good, what glue should I use to put the teeth back in? Also should I spray paint the whole thing white. I have it soaking in bleach and water right now how long should I let it set in their before I take it out and give it rinse. Any input would be great. Thanks Glen

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SKULL CLEANING QUESTION ???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Bleach will start to "eat" the bone...  I would pull it out and clean with only water.  I slow boil my skulls then remove every scrap of tissue possible.  In the spring/summer time I place under my deck (out of the sun) and let nature finish all the detail work.. Hose clean and let dry. Next I use a mixture of Hy. peroxide and soda to "bleach" the skull overnight. Hose clean again let dry and then "paint" with Krylon matte finish, this leaves a perfect whitened effect on the skull.  I used fletch tite to set any loose teeth.

good luck.. there will be others post that know much more than I about cleaning skulls.. I have always been pleased with this method.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I use slow boil with just a pinch of dish soap for about 8 hrs.  Then soak it in hyrdogen peroxide- (or get the heavy duty thick/lotion-type stuff from a beauty supply).  Rinse it off after the overnight and put it out in the sun.  Within a day or two it will be bright white.

I would imagine you could glue the teeth with about anything (super glue, epoxy).  

My newest tip/conclusion worth about 2c: While you may not be able to glue them right away- I think you will find the teeth go back in a little easier right after boiling.  If you let the skull begin to dry the holes shrink back up just slightly- not a killer- but my future projects wil have the teeth back during the drying and peroxide.  If they still feel loose- then I will glue them.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I was told that Elmers glue is the thing to paint on the teeth. Keeps them from drying out and cracking, and drys clear so you don't see it.  :thumbsup:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
not trying to hijack, but has anyone used dermestid beetles for skull cleaning?

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
babaloo--yes,a local taxidermist here has used them and they worked great..everyone else is dead on about using hy.peroxide..using "bleach will yellow the skull..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
The one I found was completely void of meat. It was partially covered with leaf litter and dirt. And in very good shape.

After I soak it over night in peroxide do I rise it with water or, just set it in the sun to dry without rising it?

Is there anyway to attach the lower jaw bones to the top part of the skull?

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Since you've soaked it in bleach, you need to neutralize the base so it doesn't continue to eat away at the bone.  If you don't, you'll find white powder everywhere you set the skull.

I use regular distiled vinegar and just mix 50/50 with water.  soak the skull in that for a day or so then go on with the peroxide treatment as recomended.

ch

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
TTT

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
anybody ever buried a head in an ant hill? im trying it now on a hog i killed in dec. besides that ive always boiled the heads and used peroxide.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
yea the ants work but if you got a pond full of pearch ty a rope to it and lower from the dock the pearch will get it cleaner than ants

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
yes to Elmers glue for the teeth..

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Hope you got it out of the bleach intime Glen.I tryed bleach on a deer skull once.It disolved the skull.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »
Yes I did, it should be fine it was a week mix anyways.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
Dermistid beatles are the way  to go for the ultimate in bone preservation. Careful of boiling it weakens the bone structure and you will loose fine detail. Bleach problems have been discussed. There are bleaching kits avalible from taxidermy suppliers such as mckenzie and vadyks. Don Taylor

Taylors Wildlife Connection Taxidermy

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Ive boiled skulls and had them last for 20 years just looking good. But I only Boiled them enough to cook all the flesh.

I suggest plain hydrogen peroxide and water to do the bleaching.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I will let the flies clean it and then soak it in your choice of whitening products and then leave it bare. I think the clear coat takes away from the look of a well done skull mount. I have done all of my own mounts with maggots and bleach. I only soak it for about an hour or so. Sometimes I have to boil it for a bit to get the grease and slim out of it, agai only an hour or so. Have employed the power washer a time or two also. I do have a mt. lion skull that was done with bugs from a pro, then it was placed in a whitening solution(hy,Peroxide). very well done, but for the budget minded guy who can get a bucket of water and some baby flies in action you can do a real nice job. TBlll should set your teeth back in place just fine.
  Enjoy! it is fun, Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
I boil mine and clean in Hydrogen peroxide.  A taxidemist told me not to spray it with any finish, it will eventually yellow a little.  Also Super glue works fine for the teeth.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dartwick:
Ive boiled skulls and had them last for 20 years just looking good. But I only Boiled them enough to cook all the flesh.

I suggest plain hydrogen peroxide and water to do the bleaching.
Bingo!  A slow boil, pulling the skull out every 15-20 minutes to remove what tissue you can.  Be careful to avoid cutting the bone:  knife marks will show on the finished skull.  Then change to clean water with 3% strength hydrogen peroxide at a slow boil for only an hour or so.  

Overboiling and bleaching oxidizes the bone, drying it out and making it very brittle.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Google javelina hunter and click on preparing a skull. They explain the process very well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©