3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crack at the fadeout?  (Read 896 times)

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Crack at the fadeout?
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Today, I take the AMF Red Wing Hunter out at lunch and shoot about a dozen times and then when drawing back I hear a “Crack”! Examining the bow I find a one inch crack on one side of the bottom limb right at the fade-out. The maple lam pulled away from the fade-out. The glass is fine and the crack does not go though to the other side. Anyone ever fixed anything like that? The crack is open a little when strung but closes tight when not strung.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to give up on it yet. I've had it for two months and been shooting it 3-4 times a week.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crack at the fadeout?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Dave you can try stringing it, dribbling some thin CA glue in there and then unstringing and clamping. Not sure how long I'd trust it though.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
You can do what you want but I don't think I would trust glue to fix a problem with that much stress on it. That area is weak now.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Just thought I'd ask an obvious question, the string is dacron, right? I have seen this happen on older bows with the low stretch materials. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I only use b-50 string.
Dave Thomas

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
One time a Black widow owned by a freind seperated from the limb tip to about 18 inches up the limb. We refilled it with smooth on and used coins on both sides then c clamped it all the to the tip every 1 inch or so. That was 3 yrs ago. It's the only bow he shoots. We cleaned it out with a little acetone. I used a sliver (smaller than a toothpick)of fiberglass to push glue in as far as I could. A little extra is good it will squeze out when you clamp it down. Open it as far as you can without splitting it further before putting the glue in. Hope it works for you.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Traditional Beagle, Glue is
about all that holds laminated bows together anyway. I'd try it nothing to loose, If it gave way in that area wouldn't cause too much personal dammage.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
I might just try it. I think epoxy might be more flexable than CA though.
Dave Thomas

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
I've done that repair on a 35 year old Shakespeare bow.  I put the riser in a vise, pulled on the limb (carefully)to spring the crack open, and poured all medium density super glue into it I could.  In my case the crack went all the way through so I just let a bunch drip on the floor.  When "full" of glue, I let off the pressure and put a c-clamp on it.  Don't use the accelerator, you're not in a hurry here.  It's shot 100's of arrows since.  I would recommend, however, covering the glass (masking tape should be fine) and cutting a couple of blocks the shape of the limb so you can clamps squarely and not damage the glass.  As mentioned above, you have nothing to loose, the bow's already broken.  When you shoot it after the repair, be sure to wear glasses and perhaps a heavy coat until you trust it.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
After reading the replies on the Trad talk site I might be persuaded to think that if it is the glue starting to fail because it is old then You may be at a loss. I guess you have to decide how you would feel if it had a total failure, nothing left to hang on the wall.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Well, right now I'm out a $100 either way. So I might as well try to fix it. I don't really need it hanging on the wall if it won't shoot. It would just make me mad every time I saw it. Let alone the grief I will get if the wife finds out the bow I just bought last month is broken   :eek:
Dave Thomas

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
I have a bow that has a small crack in it as well right in the handle fade.  I am sure it is that my fade was not done correctly and it is a 68# bow.  I may try and fix it with glue, as stated above, and lighten the poundage to something in the 50-55# range.  
Let me know if it works for you. Thanks.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I would try the superglue fix.Nothing to lose at this point.A bow that you can't shoot is just a chunk of wood anyway. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
Well, just to report back. I used professional strength loctite CA glue. I clamped it up and let it dry. You can't even tell where it seperated.

I have shot about 200 arrows or more since then with no problems so far. I am going to continue to baby it. At least I'll get my money's worth out of it.
Dave Thomas

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
LOL good deal!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©