3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Bow ????? Any suggestions ????  (Read 450 times)

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
First Bow ????? Any suggestions ????
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I'm about as new as it gets to longbows... I can barely tell you the difference between reflex and deflex.  I was calling the nock in the arrow 'the notch' until someone corrected me.  So I'm pretty new to this.

I had an opportunity to shoot a couple traditional Robertson bows and thought they were nice.  I also shot a couple self bows.  Not bad either.

This traditional longbow thing is growing on me.  I think I know what I want.  Somewhere in the range of 62" 55# and 28".

So here's the question...  In my shoes would you buy new?...  used?...  custom?...  mass produced?...  or any combination thereof.  Or maybe a different way to ask the same question... If you could only own 1 traditional longbow with which to learn from, what would it be?

Thanks for the input.

Jon

Offline L51

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow ????? Any suggestions ????
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Welcome Jon,

I'm fairly new to trad shooting, having lucked my way into a nice Bear Montana Longbow really cheap on an auction site. Didn't know about this website until I got to looking for more info.

Again, I was lucky to start with something inexpensive (under 200 bucks) with a draw weight of 50lbs.

I'd say go cheap and light, learn to shoot it well, develop good habits and move on. If you find out it's not for you, you're not out much.

I now have a Mohawk 55lb beauty and still enjoy the heck out of shooting the longbow.

Best of luck to you.

Dan

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Dan,

Nice suggestion, thank you.  

I wish I could find some used bows for sale in my area.  Unfortunately, I'd probably have a better chance finding a celacamp in my backyard than a used bow within 100 miles...

Jon

Offline sethdiggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
What part of Va are you livin in Jon?
Damon Howatt Coronado 60" 45#@28

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Virginia Beach

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
bear montana would be a good one or a martin of some kind

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Check out the Va section of the Trad Clubs forum here. You have TradGang buddies close to home. Another thing to do is check out trad shoots in VA and NC. (Check out the Trad Events forum, maybe do searches on VA and North Cackalackie.)You could try out dozens of bows at the trad shoots instead of merely jumping at something that looks good now.

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
get a bow that fits you,and do not over bow yourself.  good luck
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Robertsons are great longbows and have been among my favorites for many years but there are many other very good bows, too.  62-64", low 50's draw wt, moderate deflex/reflex will get you off to a great start.  Better to go light on the weight than too heavy.  Browse the classifieds here and other sites and you will likely find some great bows at reasonable prices.  Take some time to find what you like before dropping the bucks for a new custom.

Enjoy the journey; Welcome to the Gang!    :campfire:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Get some place you can shoot tons of bows. I agree with Killie, check the events forum and get to a shoot. It doesn't matter if you even have a bow. I would bet my next paycheck everyone there(at a trad shoot) will let you shoot their bow.

Why?

A)Because most folks on here are good people and want to help out.

B) Because we all think our bows are the best and want other people to think so too! As a result, we let other people shoot them to let them see first hand how nice our bows shoot!

Finally, there are so many choices you should shoot many bows first and definitely start with a used bow.

Then you can decide;
1. Recurve vs. longbow vs. hybrid
2. Take down vs. one piece
3. High, medium, low or broken wrist grip.
4. Poundage (start somewhere in the 45-50 lb range)
5. This list could go on for some time.

Hang in there and just start learning, but try to keep it cheap until you really have an INFORMED idea of what you want.

Take Care,
Charlie

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
To all,

Great suggestions, thank you.

I'll definately go to the next trad shoot in this area.  Maybe I'll walk away with something.

I did have 3 that I was considering, 2 of them are the only ones being sold locally.  

1. Robertson traditional - 64" 56#-28"

2. Sky longbow (local sale) -  66" 50#-28"

3. 1959 Kodiak Deluxe (local sale) - 66" 38#

Jon

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Start off with a lower poundage bow perhaps 42-50# range so you dont overbow yourself.
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
trickshot is correct!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
try as many as you can to see what feels best to you...grips - lengths and weights....there as so many great bows out there but what will feel good to you may not feel great to someone else..do what is good for you

Jer Bear

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 05:02:00 AM »
I definately wouldn't spend a alot of money just yet. Though, I have never shot one the Bear "Montana" gets alot of good reviews and it won't cost you a fortune. It just might be my next longbow aswell.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
Got some good news for you. Dixie Bowmen  are having their rendezvous April 25-26... It's in Disputanta Va. probably less then 100 miles from you.... There will be hundreds of longbows there and really friendly people to let you shot them. If you are a lefty I only have about 6-7  nice ones for you to try out???
 their website is dixiebowmen.org
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
String Cutter,

Thanks for the offer!  Fortunately or unfortunately I'm right handed.  I'm a bit ambidextrious so if the right handed thing doesn't pan out...

Disputanta is not that far from me.  I bought a motorcycle in Prince George.  It would be like a reunion of sorts.

I've never been to one of these events before.  Is this the 1 event of the year when people are looking to sell and/or trade their bows?  Do you have to be a member to attend?  How many people do you think will attend?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Bear Montana got me started.  Nice bow, won't break the bank.  Ditto the low draw weight.  Have fun!
Silence is golden.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Jon , anyones welcome...should be about 100 people or so. You can bring a tent or camper and stay there.
Should be lot of other peoples longbows to try out...People flint knapping ect.ect.Though I don't think there will be any bowyers setting up stands??   More of a big family gathering and everyone toting bows..
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©