3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad bow help in Minneapolis  (Read 330 times)

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad bow help in Minneapolis
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to traditional archery and am looking for a shop that will really know what I need.  

I have visited a few, but they did not even stock feather vanes.   Anyone know of a good shop that will cater to the traditional archer?

I am in Minneapolis, MN.

Thanks in advance.

(ps - just joined today, so if there is a better place to post this question, or search for information, please advise.)

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad bow help in Minneapolis
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
If you haven't gotten anything yet by Fathers Day weekend head on over to Coon Rapids, they will be having a traditional shoot and they usually have venders there selling stuff. Traditional Archery shops are very hard to come by where I live also, I'm In central Mn west of the Cities 70 miles and there Isn't much out here either. It bites!!

Welcome aboard also!!   :thumbsup:

Offline old arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Head to Rochester, The Footed Shaft, Lamont will take good care of you.  Welcome aboard.. good luck...

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Also G&M Archery in Benedict Mn. Greg has anything you would need and probably 30ish custom bows to drewl over for sale.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm in Edina - your only option is The Footed Shaft in Rochester or online from a vendor. I go down a few times a year and Lamont (the owner) will ship to you and you will get it next day - new catalog out any day so call him and get one. The Rapids shoot is a good one and The Footed Shaft and G&M were both there last year.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
footed shaft.  awesome service!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I can certainly help you out as well.  I'm 1.5 hours north of you in Brainerd.  If you have any questions at all let me know.  LaMont Granger from the Footed Shaft is a good guy for sure and knows as much about traditional archery as anyone out there.  Chad

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Bwana archery in Little Canada has a bit of Trad gear for sale. The store is at 35E and 694.

Can also google "bwana archery" to get their site..which has their ph# and location on it.

Regards
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
think about joinging the wisconsin traditional archers and then go to some of thier shoots. There are a lot of shoots in wisc with in 2 hours of your house , you will meet alot og great people and get lots of help too! iowa also has a great trad org but is lot farther from MPLS
Make a life, not a living

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks, gents.

Don't make it to Rocheester much, but am headed that way for Turkey hunting soon.  Might have to plan a stop by his place.

I appreciate the responses.

Best,
TC

Online cecilm

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
try Cabin fever sporting goods 952-443-2022 in victiora,mn. There are quite a few people  that shoot trad gear there. They have trad gear as well.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Tom,

You must make it out to the coon rapids trad shoot in June. MANDATORY !   ;)

Not sure if your in mpls or suburbs but you'd be welcome to shoot with our gang on a casual walk through course like coon rapids or elm creek park in maple grove.

Theo Wirth Park has a range you can utilize if your close to the tall buildings. Another behind the .... brooklyn park community center ??? By the library, Shingle creek and 694. You have to walk a bit to the backstops.  Another range on lexington, north of 96.

Bwana archery really caters to the wheel guys, but they do have a few things for trad in stock, just don't expect to get good trad advice there. ....PM if any questions about that  ;)

Best bet is the footed shaft....look for his 09' shoot schedule. The rochester trad shoot is a very high quality trad shoot as well.
The Isanti Sprtsmans club used to put on a trad only shoot...also a very nice club.

Greg Sovde at G&M...good people and has more items than his website shows too.

What am I missing ???....Chad ?  Greg ?  Buehler ?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I second the footed shaft, don't know where I would be without good ole Lamont!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Great info, gents.  Gordy, I am 5 miles north of Theo, just off the Humboldt Parkway.  I have seen the Theo hay bales at the bottom of the sledding hill.  More at St. Anthony golf course too.

I so green that I am still figuring out what shafts work well with my bow (Recurve - Pearson Javelina, #50 at 28").  I am also shooting at a feed bag stuffed with junk mail!  Having a great time learning.  I was given a compound and it just sits in the corner- too much like a gun for me.

I'd like to learn to glue my own vanes and such.  I am the do-it-yourself kind.  I'll have to go see Lamont one day.

Thanks much, guys.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Lamont is the man, he will get you started,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Footed Shaft is the place to go. May have to head down there myself in a week or two and pick up supplies, then do some Turkey scouting.
Rapids shoot is the place to be on Fathers Day weekend. We have lost a few Trad shoots in Minnesota the last couple years, but looks like there is a new one over in Chippewa Falls, Wi. at the end May that could be interesting.
Your welcome to tag along with me to the Elm Creek Park Reserve range up by Dayton.  I can give you plenty of pointers on how not to shoot a Trad Bow;)
You may want to pick up a copy of the Traditional Bowhunters Hanbook by T.J. Conrads, I learned a lot from that book.
Also the Masters of the Barebow DVD series are worth looking at. I've got to puck up Vol. 3  one of these days.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
A couple of you have mentioned the Elm Creek range.  Is it more than hay bales?  There are several of those close to me - Coon Rapids Dam has one too.  

Thanks.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
No, pretty much hay bales. Has a nice 15 target walk through range similar to the Rapids range, but more wooded. See lots of wildlife in there as well.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I think it sounds fun, and I could use a little help with technique and what not.  I'll be in touch- thanks for the offer.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Tom - how is the shooting going ?  Coon Rapids coming up quick.  Rochester shoot this next weekend .....
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©