3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snakes are Crawlin' !!!  (Read 760 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Snakes are Crawlin' !!!
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Open thy eyes, walked right up on a 3 foot black snake while shed huntin this afternoon. Glad he was a, " good snake " ! Wished him happy huntin on the copperheads and rattlesnakes and went on my way.

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakes are Crawlin' !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
man you should have shot it and used it on your bow!  :scared:    :scared:
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I cant wait to start catching snakes. I envy you guys with the "fun" varieties in your area. Awesome creatures.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »
Man, a couple of years ago some friends and I were out shooting. I went to check my target downrange and ran into a big 'ol rattler. It was every bit of 6 ft. It jumped one way and I jumped the other! We looked at eachother for a few seconds and it just slid away to a rat nest next to us. My buddy came downrange with a shotty, but we didn't kill it. We figured if it had lived this long and got to be that big and beautiful, it's got many more years.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
The only good snake is a dead one.  

(Somebody had to say it)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
fido,
two years ago at a TN shoot as we approached one of the long range bonus targets we found a surprise too ! I had shot under the 3D antelope and while looking for my arrow almost stepped on a copperhead. He was out in the open field catching some sun. It took two shots but my son drilled his head to the ground with his just made selfbow.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
(The only good snake is a dead one.)

My thoughts as well Leo.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
i ran into a rattler up on mt hood back in my early twenties working for the forest service we were cutting survey lines i was packin a 038 stihl...potent snake medicine.   :D    :bigsmyl:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
ANY of them give me the heebie-jeebies so bad I slowly run away from a snake backed bow  :goldtooth:
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Yes they look pretty on bows (wish i had one) but they are better alive to keep the rodent population in order. If you have a lot of snakes, that means you have lots of rodents.
 RAT- LER
IMHO
Rob
(i would love to have a dark green pacific rattler on my bow)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Man you guys woulda freaked if ya ever walked into my "uncle's" house. He had dozens of rattlers...cottonmouths, copperheads, numerous types of constrictors, king snakes, rat snakes...when his front door shut, and all the rattlers started buzzing....ah....man the memories.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Ishiwannabe can I go to your Uncles. My wife won't let me have venomous snakes till the kids are older, for now alls I'm allowed are pythons. Its a great way to obtain bow backings you can match em up "on the hoof" so to speak

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
The only good snake....is a dead one. Sorry...get another predator to kill the rodents.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
I dont even like big worms.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
Snakes are good people too, don't dis them just becuz yer scared of em. They have their place in the scheme of things and most of them are WAY more scared of you than you are of them and will leave you alone if you let them. I grew up around all kind of snakes including rattlers and have never had a problem with them. That said I wouldn't mind eating some rattle snake again if I get the chance!
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
My niece (now 13) is the is the only one that eats rattlers. She loves them! My bro dug one out an killed it. He then skinned it and fried it up. Apparently you couldn't get her away from the meat.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
"I dont even like big worms."

I hear ya.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
"Snakes....why does it have to be snake?"

Snake, the other other other other "white meat"...  ;)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Down here where I live snakes are thick. I never get used to them.I have a big King Snake that lives here around my house and small barn and I let him live. A few Indigos as well....But the rest of`m gotta go.After a couple slaps on the leg by copperheads that did`nt get through to meat and a cottonmouth that did`nt bite quite get over the shoe and countless encounters with rattlesnakes you`ll get where you can`t stand the ones with fangs.RC

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Windtalker, sadly, my "uncle Eddie" passed about ten years ago. He wasnt really my uncle, but my dad's best friend since they were five. He was, as far as I know, the only licensed person in NY to keep venomous snakes. When he passed, most were donated to zoos, wildlife rehabilitation centers and the like. I know a majority of his rattlers came from a certain town south of here in NY...

RC, good point. Just a shame, IMHO, that  such neat creatures get killed for being a threat.
I spent some time in Ga. Man ya should have seen the Drill Sgt's face when I walked out with a cottonmouth...needless to say, numerous push-ups were required.  :rolleyes:
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©