3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is phenolic evil?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is phenolic evil?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I ordered my last Widow without phenolic for two reasons. I like the looks of wood better and most importantly the bow weighs much less.

Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Oh yeah, there is something evil about it.... It makes you want a bow that looks like this       :saywhat:     :

Enjoy your (evil) Shrew....     :thumbsup:     ..
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
lets see if I can add a pic or 2  of some real "evil phenolic".       :thumbsup:       :archer:    :archer:

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Nice pics Sergio,,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Yes it is evil. It is made out of Demon Horn and the only glue that will set with it is made from the hooves of the Mares of Diomedes.     :goldtooth:  
See...I knew it.    :D    Great pics and information guys.  I know I will love my Osage/phenolic Super Shrew.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks Frank!

Offline David Alford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
A phenolic riser may be slightly louder than a wood riser. If you want maximum mass (esp. good for short bows where stability is critical or for target shooting), phenolic is a good choice. If you want good mass but wood, consider ebony or another heavy wood. Phenolic is roughly 1/3 heavier than ebony.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Dymondwood is very heavy, too.  The only problem with Dymondwood is it has a tendency to check.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
working as a mechanical designer in a prototype machine shop, I can tell ya, the guys hate to machine the phenolic. Tough...very very tough stuff.

Did I ever tell ya about my phenolic bow idea ? ..... Oh good.  Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  Evil is as Evil does.... and this is on wicked good lookin idear.   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Bill,

I apologize before hand, but I disagree concerning your statement about Dymondwood having a tendency for checking. Dyamondwood is very stable as it is multi layers (about 1/32")of birch laminated together and impregnated under pressure with epoxy resin. The reason bowyers like it is because of it's strength and stability. Knife makers also use it for grip scales. I suppose you could sort of say it is similar to phenolic only instead of very thin linen or paper it is thicker wood.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
wow great thread we were beating this around on the collecters forum also micarta virsus phenolic.Which I believe is the same thing and micarta is like a trade name maybe for a certin phenolic ? or something along those line.
As mentioned above the pre 1960 bow tip overlay type was paper macarta and did not last long.It was to thin and not very flexable cracked and got moisture under the overlay and then fell off.Bows built in the 1960's using it in the handles had lots of problems with cracking.Which actually had nothing to do with the material itself.Again great thread thanks bd

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Actual Definitions for you.

Micarta is a composite of linen or paper fabric in a thermosetting plastic, originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Dr. Leo Baekeland. These resins were used to impregnate paper and cotton fabric which were cured under pressure and high temperature to produce laminates. In later years this manufacturing method included the use of fiberglass fabric, other resin types were also used. Today micartas are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers and the term has evolved to generically refer to most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern micartas are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles.

Phenolic is the name usually given to a resin made of phenol and an aldehyde. It is used anywhere rigid materials are needed, particularly to create moldings for consumer products, for some bearings, for insulation, and as a binder.

Phenolic may also be used as a term to describe the entire class of phenols. These are simple hydrocarbon groups, similar to alcohols. Phenolic compounds are varied, ranging everywhere from the heat agent in chili peppers to dopamine to the cresols from creosote. While the word phenolic may be used individually to refer to these compounds, the term phenolic compound is more appropriate.

Phenolic resins may be made by combining simple phenol with any number of aldehydes, but the combination made with formaldehyde, known as phenolic formaldehyde resin, or PF, is the most widely used. Phenolic resin was the first synthesized resin, and was marketed under the brand name Bakelite, which still exists. The majority of formaldehyde produced is used with phenol and other organic compounds to create resins, which are used extensively in industry.

Phenolic is the material used for most consumer fittings. Plugs on electronic devices, handles for pots and pans, and the screw-tops on most sodas are just a few applications for which phenolic is widely used. Its affordability and the ease with which it is molded make phenolic an ideal candidate whenever a cheap plastic is needed.

Phenolic is also used frequently as the binding agent to hold together composite woods, including chipboard and plywood. Phenolic is somewhat brittle as a binding agent, which is seen by some as a disadvantage, but it lets out very little smoke if it combusts, and at higher grades can be resistant to temperatures in excess of 370°F (185°C). As insulation, phenolic also sees a fair amount of use. Its easy setting and affordability make it ideal in some situations. Phenolic has a high thermal mass, making it a relatively strong thermal insulator in comparison to some other low-cost insulating solutions.

Sheets of material made from phenolic are popular as an alternative to acrylic, because of its high resistance to flexing. These flat plates of material may be used as tables for electric saws, hard floor mats, and even pick guards for guitars. Phenolic sheet is usually made by impregnating a core material, such as paper or fabric, with the resin and then catalyzing it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Wow...I am glad I started this one.  Loads of useful information.     :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
The last statement leads one to believe they are somewhat the same if impregnating a core or base material such as paper of fabric becomes ie linen macatra ??? bd

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
"Sheets of material made from phenolic are popular as an alternative to acrylic, because of its high resistance to flexing."

Flexing......How does a strip of linen phenolic rank in stiffness to say the same size strip of bubinga for example. If it's less, you're better off with bubinga unless mass is a higher priority then flexing.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Phenolic made with fine thread cotton linen is extremely strong, much more so than wood. The stuff made with glass fibers is used in fighters,boat hulls and other applications where very rigid, damage resistant material is needed.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
One thing to remember about phenolic is that you must avoid breathing it during grinding or sanding.  If you can smell it your breathing it and it's bad cancer stuff.
LPM

Offline Foxtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Is micarta evil? Heck yeah! It's down right wicked!!! Here's the darkside of a Hummingbird and a Bob Lee.

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Beauties, Rob!    :thumbsup:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
I love my phenolic Cascade Silver Hawk!  The only thing I could see or feel is that the phenolic adds weight to the bow riser.  Phenolic is strong but it's heavier then most woods given all things are equal.  I'll shoot'em either way!   mr.c

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©