3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me out guys as a poll unofficial  (Read 543 times)

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me out guys as a poll unofficial
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
Would you shoot a 668 grain alumminum or a 500 grain carbon out of a 53 at 27 inch bow. I pull 26.5. I went through the dynamic spine calcualtor and searched on the internet to see what I could get the best deals on and I was either thinking of getting 2020 alumminums that I found for cheap or the Carbon express arrows on Bravehearts website for 49.99. the alumminums are 35. a doz.. I am after elk and deer and like to shoot to 30 at times any suggestions as far as weight and all?
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me out guys as a poll unofficial
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
I would go with the heavier arrow, and keep your shots at 20yds or less. I think any farther and you are going to see a real drop in the arrow and lose alot of energy with such a light draw weight. JMO

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
If they both fly well out of your bow I would agree with the heavier one.  But there are so many variables that knowing how it will fly based on an arrow chart is risky business.  Any chance of trying some from a buddy before buying?  Good arrow flight is the most important consideration.

Also, those carbons can be weighted up a number of different ways to get the total weight up there.  And carbons are tougher than the aluminum, so that might still be an option.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I haven`t hunted elk yet,i will this fall with 59# 620gr arrow. My 2cents would be weight up the carbons to around 540-570 (10-11gr#)tune them perfect with weight forward 2 blade head. I personally would not hunt any big game larger than whitetails an bear with that low of ##. As said i never hunted elk, but have a lot of experience on other large game an i am capable of shooting heavy bows from 58-72# accurately. I have herd guys say you dont need that much for elk, its usally from guys that cant handle the heaver weight. Most important thing is shot placement an CONFIDENCE IN UR EQUIPMENT an knowing its limitations... good luck!!
Bull

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
What Hattrick said except for one thing, Fred Eichler killed all 28 species in NA with 53# bow, except for 2 big bears, used #56 limbs for them. Shot placement, heavy head, gitrdone.
samuel koger

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
hunting big game like elk, and thinking about taking 30 yard shots?  with a 53# holding weight?  

do yer own experimenting shooting at 30 yards with arrows at least 10 gpp and make up yer own mind if it's the right thing to do.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Hoping to save a few bucks on arrows is a bad choice-good arrows are critical. Get what flies best and gives you confidence. I like a heavy arrow on tough animals that extra penetration can make a huge difference.

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Jeez I feel like a bad guy for asking... I am gonna go with the alumminums.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Travisc406:
the only thing 'good or bad' is how you feel about yer shooting and yer gear.  

aside from yer shooting abilities, the arra is the most important part of yer gear.  way more important than the bow.  choose an arrow based on it's straightness, durability, total weight for the both gpp and the game yer huntin'.  yes, and a sharp broadhead.  

so, do you have the confidence in yer shooting to take an accurate 30 yard shot at big game?  

and if that delivered arra stikes a vital, will it do the job of killing the animal?

i can't answer all those questions for ya, you need to answer them for yerself.    

good luck!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
You can go with the carbons and add 3 gpi weight tube and get a 580 grain arrow, That would be a good all around weight and still have the durability of carbon.

Just a thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
what pops said..and another good reason is that 2020 alums are not the easiest to come by .alot of your local shops don't keep them on hand(around here anyways).JMO
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I would go down one spine on the carbons and add a 100 or 125g steel adapter for your broadhead and then you will have the best of both worlds.  A 600 grain arrow including a 250g tip is better than a 600 grain arrow with a 100g tip IMO.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
a 600 grain arrow spit out with less than 53# holding energy equates to around 11.3+ gpp.

imo, any average bowhunter who even entertains the notion of taking a 30 yard shot at an elk needs to first be aware of an 11.3 gpp arrow's trajectory at 30 yards as compared to 15 yards ... then do a lotta shooting at both distances and make a decision if 600 grains is the right choice for yer hunting.  

there's a reason why big game bowhunters prefer heavy holding weights ... and heavy arrows.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Travis dont feel bad for asking, we just dont ur level of experience so we are giving everything thing we no that my help. Good luck huntin
Bull

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
I would like to know what is "light" about 500 grains of arrow weight!   That arrow will go through an elk quicker than you can ask why.  Don't get so wrapped up in what someone else suggests until you have tried it yourself and see what works best for your setup.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Travisc406:
Why? I'd use the 500-grain carbons...no doubt about it. The bull moose I shot completely through with a 499-grain carbon didn't complain about my arrow weight.   ;)

Offline Sunstroked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I've taken a few elk with a bow. If it were me I would stick to the heavier arrow choice with your low 50lb bow. And practice a lot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©