3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat Quiver and Elk hunting  (Read 1041 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Cat Quiver and Elk hunting
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Any one use the Rancho Safari cat quiver while elk hunting?  Any pro's and cons?
I am going on  a hunt with "Elkherder" this fall and a friend offered his cat quiver III for use as a daypack/quiver.
I like the idea of not using my bow quiver. I went out and shot with it on and loaded last night and the first thing i noticed is it does affect my mobility because of the rigid quiver up my spine. I shot with it standing, kneeling, and on 1 knee. I shot better my second round after I got used to it a little. Any concerns/experience's with hunting, manueverability you guys may have?

thanks.....Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat Quiver and Elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Don't know much about that particular quiver but I will say I want my quiver on my bow for quick & easy access. If all you're doing is treestand hunting, then I can see your reasoning. But when it comes to putting 5-12 miles a day hoofing it around locating & working elk it's darned near a must to have everything at your fingertips in a moments notice & in a quiet fashion.

Too, I'm not savvy on the extra movement needed to remove an arrow from a quiver not right in front of me. My suggestion would be to shoot several 3 d shoots with quiver mounted & get used to it, you'll be better off in the long run on most running & gunning western elk hunts! It's just a suggestion! (grin)

You can see a typical setup in this photo!

ElkNut1  

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Nice bull!!   :thumbsup:  
Thanks for the input. I do use my bow qiver while whitetail hunting (tree stand).....I just "thought" it might be easier doing that much walking with the arrows behind me instead of on my bow. Not sure of the vegetation in central Oregon, but I know here in SE Ohio, hiking with a bow quiver off a clipped path can be difficult at times with the brambles and brush we have in my hunting areas!

I may just decide to use my bow quiver and my own day pack instead of borrowing the cat quiver; just want to get other's perspective and advice and will try both ways over the summer.  I have a "Wal-mart special" backpack with detachable fanny pack: it has well-padded shoulder and hip straps.

Think this will work?

Ben
Ben
Browning Wasp 45#

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
No reason for your pack not to be sufficient! I used a similar one for years. It carried all the needed items no problem!

These days I use a similar size pack as you show but this one has an internal lightweight frame & a hidden canvas seat on the outside & I can starp on an entire elk quarter to it on the trip out once a bull is down.
  Once back to rig or camp I then opt for a pack frame on return trip for rest of meat.

Go here if you'd like  www.elknut.com  & click on "video clips" you will see the pack we use & pack frames along with items to carry on ones elk hunt.
  Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I can't imagine doing an elk hunt with a Cat quiver.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Good video on your pack Paul!  I agree, having the right pack loaded with everything you might need is much more important in elk hunting than it is in the whitetail woods.  The right pack can make a huge difference in your hunt once an animal is on the ground.  

As for a quiver, I have been using the Safari Tuff Arrowmaster for the past year and really like it.  Even with a pack on my back it rides very well and I have instant access to my arrows.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Awesome video's!  hope you don't mind, i copied them to my photobucket page to listen again and not have to try and remember where i saw these!

It was nice to see the basic list on video--easier to figure out what i have already and what i need to get yet. Easier for me to see than decipher through the multiple lists that have been posted---though they are a great help too!
Thanks "Elknut1" and others---taking all you advice to heart!

Ben
Ben
Browning Wasp 45#

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I've tried just about everything and I just cannot improve on the bowquiver.  Especially for an active pursuit like elk hunting; I want my arrows ATTACHED to my bow.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Dont know about the CatIII but I have used a CatVII for several seasons now. It is a backpack with the Catmini attached. I use a selfbow with a solostalker and then the CatVII. I can carry more than I need in this system and would not hunt tuff country without it anymore. If I could find one I would buy the CatVII.5, it has better water carring capability.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Quiver Caddy is a great option....designed and used by us elk hunters here in MT.  Like some, we hate bowquivers, especially on our longbows and selfbows, and it will work with any pack combo...and no extra straps around your neck!   Proven in the elk woods for 20 plus years.  

That's my pitch!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Afraid a snake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I use a cat3 1/2 and love it.I have a lightweight scookum 3 arrow quiver on my bow.With the cat quiver, I can carry extra arrows for grouse and stump shooting.The cat quiver also does a good job of keeping fletching dry when hunting in the rain outwest.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I used a 3 1/2 catquiver for most of the year and loved it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Hate to disagree with most of you but I would not hunt Elk with anything but my cat quiver. I use the cat q. VI (the fanny pack with the quiver on the side). It is easier to get an arrow back into it and it is just tied onto the pask and can be ajusted up and down. The fanny pack is large enough to carry everything I need for a days hunt (and I pack enerything).Also, if I plan on needing a larger pack the I just untie the quiver and put it on my back pack. it will tie onto any pack that has shoulder straps! As for added movement when retreving an arrow, I actually make LESS and it is done behind me, away from the animals veiw! The feathers on my arrows are always protected and I use as bright a fletch as I want because they are hidden! So I guess that my two cents is that once you practice with it a bit you will love it. I would just get the mini (just the quiver with carry strap) and tie it on to whatever pack you are using!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
All good ideas here. I will be shooting a couple different set-ups and see what happens for the best.

Another, totally different question concerning binos: in a hip case, or with a harness? I only carry a small, very compact set while tree-stand hunting---ok to shoot attached to my harness that has built-in bino attachment. Probably will borrow a set of 10x40 binos for this trip--can you shoot with this size on a bino harness, or just keep them in a hip case?

Thanks for your guys help----Ben   :campfire:
Ben
Browning Wasp 45#

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Ben, I use 10x40 swarovskis on a harness and don't even know they are there.
Tom

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

I thought this would be a perfect setup...

Love the fanny, sold the mini   ;)

Offline Ramjet-SS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Funny I tried the Cat Quiver could not stand it. When in the Scrub oak brush thicker than quills on purcupine it was always catching.

I tried the Safari ough it was better and almost tolerable but the bow quiver is the best tool for me.

I use a Bino harness it wil hold the binos in close to the chest.

NICE BULL

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I wore out a Catquiver3 using it as my elk hunting quiver for about 10 years. Just bought another one last year. I like them because there is plenty of room for 'stuff' and I carry several blunts for grouse while hunting elk.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
i have never hunted elk but as a deer hunter here in Oz where inclement weather can be murder on arrows i always have a cat qiuver handy. cat 1 for smaller trips and cat3 for longer jaunts. i don't like quivers on my longbows [ like 'em on my 'curves though ]. if i have to carry a day pack or full backpack i carry a GN sidekick or a Gfa or more recently a Bowers side quiver....and yes i have a lot of quivers.... you can't go wrong with a cat quiver and it is still , to me , the quickest and movement free way to get an arrow ready.....

cheers

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Steve O is right, Best fanny pack I ever had, but sold the mini.

I could not get it low enough on my pack to not catch on limbs and such when I ducked.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©