3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: And the wind cried.... Turkey!  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: And the wind cried.... Turkey!
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Worth the wait, as usual.  Thanks for the great story and pics.  Congrats. on a beautiful bird.  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Congrats Charlie!    :saywhat:    Gotta remember that one!!

Hmmmm...Maybe THAT was the wind you heard??    :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Congrats Charlie   :thumbsup:  glad ya broke your turkey killin hallucinations   :jumper:

And now the rest of the story   :D

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Great story Charlie  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
The next couple of days were nothing to brag about. The wind came up and temeratures came down.
One morning I was greeted with heavy frost on the windshield of my truck and the little heater was working overtime in the blind.

Rusty being the thoughtful host he always is, knew I was low on propane cannisters for the heater and brought some from town one evening... I was not only pleasantly surprised, but silently relieved. I was getting a cold chill just thinking about the blind without my trusty heater.

It was more that damn Kansas wind that kept hunting slow during that time. I believe the turkeys and deer were spending a lot of time down in the creek bottoms. I'd seen that behavior before in north Missouri.

I did have a few encounters, but the blind was rocking violently even though it was staked at the corners and the hub lines were tied out securely.

A couple of times I had birds approaching  and ready to do the deed when a gust hit the blind and sent them putting away.

One of the days I stayed put all day long. I'd decided to get out and head for town around 10 a.m. when the sky opened up and turned on the faucet.
It seemed to be the better part of valor (just dang smart) to stay put and out of the deluge...which lasted most of the midday hours.

I buttoned up tight in the blind and only opened the windows a crack from time to time to conserve heat.

Finally in the afternoon the rain let up and it started snowing. What a treat that was. Mostly it just stuck to the net windows and piled up a little around the base of the blind. The wind never let up a little bit.

With time running out on my visit I had just about resigned myself to not filling my second tag.
I think it was Saturday in a pouring, howling rain that I decided I'd just pack up and leave for home in the morning.

The last hour in the blind was spent organizing and packing all my gear so I wouldn't have to come back in for anything the next morning. It was Rusty's blind so I could leave it set where it was.

I was more than a little disappointed. It wasn't that I wanted a second bird that bad, but this was the best turkey hunting I'd ever experience and I just wanted to keep going, and going and going. You know? Kinda like the Energizer bunny, but old and slow.

The truck heater felt really good since I'd gotten pretty wet and very chilled walking out. The gusty wind even fought me all the way out making my pack and mood seem all the heavier.

That night at dinner Rusty and I talked about it. I told him my plans and he suggested I wait and see what the weather was doing in the morning and if it wasn't raining to give it another half day.

To tell the truth, I was already looking forward to sleeping in and getting nice relaxed start the next day, but I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal to wake up at huntin time and check out the weather.

We each stayed up a little longer that night and had an extra Margarita. I'd miss my Rusty and Rosemary and I knew it.

Soon it was off to bed and I'd sleep like a rock.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I've got an odd internal clock. I'll almost always wake up a few minutes before the alarm goes off... it the clock is set correctly.
The next morning was just like that. When I awoke I pulled the little travel alarm down off the bed post and squinted hard in the dark to see the tiny hands.
I had 3 minutes before the alarm sounded. I pushed the button and got up.

Soon I was standing on the front porch gazing at the cloudless sky. The wind was blowing, but not bad compared to what it had been.
YEP!!! I went back in to turn on the coffee maker. I'd be hunting this morning.

I was back in the blind plenty early. I'd stripped all non essential items from my pack and left the little heater in the truck.
When it was time to leave I'd get out of there without hauling a ton of gear and with luck have room in the pack for a turkey.

The last two mornings I'd listen to the birds gobble on the roost and then move slowly off in the opposite direction after fly down. I thought that it was about time that they fed off in my direction.

I did my best tree calls and when I thought it was about time did a fly down cackle and some light yelping.
It wasn't long and I could hear turkey talk and it seemed to be getting closer.

Soon I had hens approaching and they seemed to come out of the timber forever. I counted twenty in the end and not a beard in the bunch.
I'd seen a bearded hen a couple days prior and I'd have shot her in a heart beat if she'd have shown up... she didn't.

As the last hen fed out of sight I sat back to relax a little. I'd refined my set up so that I had the window open for a full 180 degrees, but kept most of that covered with the netting. Only a small slit was kept open that would give me clear shot out front.
Brush and trees made shooting to the sides nearly impossible anyway.

It was inevitable that time would pass way too quickly this morning. That's how it goes for me. The last day just seems to fly by and the more I wanted it to drag on the faster it seems to go.

I looked down at my watch and forty five minutes had gone by since the hens had visited. As I looked up I could see the head of a turkey moving just beyond a strip of burr oaks headed my way. Soon it was joined by 4 others. Here we go!!

As they came into the open I thought they looked too big to be hens and the colors were darker than the hens. It had been a little hard for me to tell at the beginning of the hunt. These turkeys were pretty heavilly hybridized. Some looked like easterns and others had a more bronze look to them.

Staring hard I wished I had my binoculars with me, but I'd jetisoned those from the pack. It took a while but soon I could see short little beards sticking out high on the chest of each bird....JAKES!!!
"That will do", I thought to myself. Heaven knows I'm not a true trophy hunter and especially not for turkeys. Maybe another time, but not now. Not here.

I picked up my call and did a short series of very soft yelps. They angled my way.

All five of those jakes ended up 12 yards in front of my blind and one was dead center in the middle of my shooting lane.
As if on cue he turned to walk away.

The Carbonwood shaft slid silently across the velcro and I buried into anchor as I held for an instant at the top of his drum stick.

When I shoot at game I never seem to consciously release. The string just slips away when the shot is lined up and pointed at the spot I want to hit. That is exactly the way it happened this time.

Once again the arrow flashed out of the blind trailing string which flowed effortlessly from it's spool. (I'd replaced the light orange line with the white thirty pound stuff earlier in the hunt)

Once again all was confusion with birds going in every direction. Mine went almost straight away, my arrow buried half it's length in him.
Almost immediately he was airborne, climbing high into the wind which had gotten stronger with each minute as the morning passed.

Just when I thought he would fly off over the tree tops beyond the food plot, he started swinging back around still climbing. I watched in awe as the white string trailed through the air behind him.

Finally he disappeared off to my left where the blind was tightly buttoned down. At almost the same moment the string stopped ripping out of the holder.

DANG!!! That was either really good news or really bad, but I wasn't going to rush anything and give the big Magnus time to do it's stuff if it needed it.... it didn't!!

After fifteen minutes I got out of the blind and could see the jake immediately. He'd piled up right in the same tree line my blind was in.

As I retrieved my prize I said a little prayer of thanks over him as is my habit. By the time I got around to the picture taking the wind had reached gail force and it was snowing.

Was it really that cold out that I was shaking so badly. Maybe it was... only I know for sure.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
:clapper:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I stuffed the bird carefully down in my pack and brought it to my shoulders. I'd have plenty of time to reflect on the events of the morning on the walk out.
It was still blowing a gail and icy snowflakes stung my cheeks, but I was somehow warmer as I plodded along.

And the wind cried... turkey!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Another classic, Charlie...Thanks for the ride...I love turkey huntin...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS Charlie! AWESOME HUNT, STORYTELLING, and TROPHIES!!!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Don and Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
As I retrieved my prize I said a little prayer of thanks over him as is my habit.

I do the same…it seems only right to do this.

Congratulation on a great hunt, Charlie, and thanks again for taking us along. The Missouri opener is coming up!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Charlie congrats   :thumbsup:  on another fine turkey..just a warm up for the Mo season. Thanks for taking us along..  :notworthy:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
Right on Professor!    :notworthy:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great hunt! Now you are all warmed up for the 20th.

Good luck!
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Good friends and fine hunting. Nothing more a man can wish for. Congrats on bird 2 Charlie. Go lay a beaten on them at home!
hunt it

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Thank You Charlie, my hunt starts in a couple weeks, and your story has me very excited and looking forward to my hunt here in Michigan. I will be using my Double Bull Blind also. Thank you again, spent the last couple morning's reading this, Mark  ;)    :campfire:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
And you told me you struggled with turkeys      :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Congrats on the second bird Charlie...awesome story tellin'...thanks for taking us along   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Congradulations on your Turkey double!

Thanks for taking us along! A fine story and pictures as well.
    I am headed out to the river bottom tomorrow for a few days of chasing some birds.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
Thank you, Sir.  Congratulations...well done!
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©