3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting in shape...Total Gym?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting in shape...Total Gym?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
I had to quit drinking my jack and cokes while I was quitting smoking.
:biglaugh:  Me too. I'm use to drinking 2-4 bottles of Bud Ice a day and if I'm going to drink liquor it's Jack & Coke.

I quit that two weeks ago.
Can you have a drink now and not go nuts for a cig?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Dear Mike,

having been in the weightlifting business for some time now, i can start of by telling you one thing.

Any fitness-product sold on TV-SHOP is bull****. Period. Trust me on this one.

If you really want to get in shape, the best things you can do is; start running (but start out extremely light, or you will be doing more harm than you will get benefits), and start weightlifting. Preferably in a gym. Now, you being a newbie on this (no offense intended, we all were when we started), you will want to acquire as much knowledge as possible. Join a fitness forum where you can ask questions about your doubts. As far as a program goes, if you tell me what you would like to focus on, i can help you with that if you wish.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Sunstroked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Mike, I'm 51 and have been exercising to stay in somewhat decent shape since my late 20's.  Like many I take breaks now and then.  I get bored with what I'm doing or back off for lack of time etc. I have found that 1 of the best overall fitness machines is a quality elliptical trainer. What I like about it is 30 min a day 3 times a week really does give you a good level of fitness. Its easy on the joints, doesn't take much time and wont bore you. As you start to get in shape you'll find yourself wanting to take it a step further and you can add other forms of exercise to supplement or break things up. For instance I hike nearby trails and started riding my mountain bike again. Summertime I'll start swimming laps.
Last yr I elk hunted for 2 full weeks, it took me until day 14, and the last 15 minutes of the hunt to kill my archery bull. Then the hardest part of the hunt began. Getting him out by myself. My help had all gone home. And he was the largest elk I've ever taken. I chased those elk at 8000'-9500' everyday. You may not be able to simulate the elevation where you live, and neither can I, but I can drive to mountains for a few days and scout. That helps me. My body will take 3 days to start to acclimate.
Hunting from blinds around tanks would be a good option for the first few days, and you might end your hunt right then.
Keep envisioning a big ole bull at full bugle to keep your motivation up. Elk hunting is so much fun, but really heavy work for the do it yourself hunter. Good luck and just start doing it.
By the way I'll be elk hunting again this yr too, only drew a cow tag, a recurve or longbow will be my weapon choice this yr.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
You like shooting arros?When going to pull them.Jog to and from the target.Shoot 1 arro at a time.Not only get you in shape.It helps simulating a elevated heart rate as it would be at the shot.I disagree w/ some of the comments above about exercise equiptment .All exercise of any kind is better than NONE.
I have a Total Gym and worked w/ it for a couple years but felt it was limited.I bought a Bowflex 3 years ago and been very pleased.I to am a contractor(masonry)and like you I've become more the thinker than mechanic and need to try to keep myself for the unthinkable when I need to be the mechanic.

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
First off congratulations on your decisions.I train people everyday for a living.(own/operate my company for 15yrs.)  Get a physical!!!! Then, Do yourself a favor and find something that YOU will do consistently. Consistency whether it is walking, lifting, aerobic classes, etc.. Is the key to your success.Proper nutrition will make your gains come faster than ever. Find yourself someone local fitness expert who knows what they are doing to help you. You can always contact me via online, and i will help you all i can.  www.maxfitonline.com  You should also check out craigslist for fitness equipt if you are set on training at home instead of at a facility.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Good for you.  I'm 65 and have been going to a gym for 20 years however that still didn't prevent me from a bypass last year.  It perhaps kept me alive though and now I feel better than ever.

Some advice.
1. Stick with the no smoking.
2. Walkin is cheap and you can do it anywhere and anytime.  Just remember to start slow and build up distance and stamina.
3. Some sort of resistance training will help.  I have seen some long rubbers band affairs that have handles on them to do a surprisingly varied workout with and can be hung of doors and door knobs to do different things. You can carry these is a suitcase and do them in a hotel room plus crunches and stretching, etc.
4.  Keep the faith and when you drop 10-12 pounds and your pants start getting loose you will feel really great. Also it's good to have a firm feeling in your muscles as opposed to flab.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
There may be alot of "home exercise machines" in the classifieds but what you can't see are the number of health club memberships that get used for a month and then not at all. Anything that you do will be an improvement over what your doing now. Even though you have a physical job I'd be very careful with the weights. It's very easy to pull or even tear a muscle that isn't being used all the time. The Total gym will give you a good muscle toning workout. You can do some sort of aerobic training every day. It won't hurt you at all. You need the will power to stay with it. No health club or machine can supply that for you. Good luck.

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I am currently retired from personal training but did it for 17 years. Here are my suggestions:
See your doctor first!!!
Start slow and add a little bit every workout."walk before you run".
Don't waste your money on a Total Trainer.
Don't buy anything until you can do some simple calethinics....pushups, pullups, crunches, burpees, etc.
Protect your joints....walking and bicycling are easier on them than running.
When you are ready to progress from the calisthenics to weights go with free weights ie. dumbells, barbell, etc.
Get a trainer to set up a program for you, you will be time and money ahead on this. Not saying you can't do it yourself but you will see more results faster if someone who knows what they are doing gets you going.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I have owned a Bowflex for over 10 years and I still use it.  It has held it's quality and I have no regrets about purchasing it.  Like others have said, it can get boring though.  Turn on the radio, tv, or book on tape to keep things interesting.  Also, think about joining the YMCA.  The swimming pool is great exercise and it doesn't pound the ol' joints like jogging does.  Best of luck to you.  I look forward to seeing pictures of your hunting trip.    :thumbsup:
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Mike,

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  That's great.  Just remember until the temptation ends, do it one day at a time; forever is too long to think about but today is very manageable.

There are a lot of good suggestions above.  I tend to agree with Reddogge - there's nothing cheaper than walking and nothing more portable.  If you want more difficulty throw on a back pack and gradually build it up to what you'll carry hunting plus about 25% - then your hunting pack will feel light.  

Having had both knees replaced, I'm not a big fan of running; walking or riding a bicycle are both a lot easier on your knees and will help you save them for useful things - like chasing elk.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I think there's a lot of encouragement and a lot of good advice already on here, but I like what swp said a lot.  

I travel for work more than I'd like and also wind up in hotels with crappy/nonexistent workout rooms.  I finally decided that I'd figure out some exercises that I could do without any equipment.  Please PM me if you're interested.

Never take the elevator.   :)

At any rate, no matter how much you don't feel like working out at the hotel after a long day, it's worth it.  Makes the evening go faster and I feel better driving around the next day.  I also tend to sleep better that night.

Good luck with the cancer sticks.  Sounds like you're pretty motivated.  I think you can win.

Kirk

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Mike,

I only read the first page so I hope I am not repeating things.  Two things I know work for me...and I have got to get BACK to doing them   :saywhat:  

1.  It is easier for me to work out when I am traveling.  Lots of hotels have GOOD gyms in them or partnerships with local fitness centers.  Change the hotel you stay at so it fits YOUR needs.

2.  In addition to going to the gym when I can, when I am home I will get up every morning EARLY for work and take the dog on a 5 mile walk.  We walk as fast as we can and it takes one hour and ten to fifteen minutes.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
I agree with the advice to join a gym. My wife used the exercise equipment we have at home, I find it incredibly boring and hate it.

I have been going to a company sponsored gym(free) for almost 20 years, was  a long distance runner before that but can't run anymore( bad joints) so I walk.

The great thing about the gym is you strike up friendships and look forward to meting your friends. Most of us are retirees, have similar interests and spend more time BSing than working out. My 45 minute weight and weight machine workout usually takes me about 1 1/2 hour because of the socializing. I walk an outdoor exercise trail through the woods for an hour or so after my weight workout.

The other nice thing about a gym is the scenery at times, kinda' inspires us old guys work out a little harder.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Good for you!  I know a guy that cut out white sugar and flour the day he found out he had cancer.  3 years later-the cancer has shrunk.  No joke.  Th Doc says it looks like not having the white stuff, retarded it.  Go figure.
I have a Total Gym.  It has done wonders for my shoulder problems.  It also increased me draw weight 10#.  I would recomend it.
I quit smoking on my 21st birthday.  I am 31 now.  I chew blue gum(winterfresh, etc.).  Lots of it.  Strange but works for me.
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
My Opinion is This  :archer:  : Eat Right, Excersize, Die Anyway!!  :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
If you are away from home alot just walk/run (depending on your fitness level, and the condition of your joints), do pushups, crunches, etc... and try one of those portable pullup bars.  You can get a great total body workout just using your bodyweight...Mike

Offline Mike Byrge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Ditto on all the above advice...

I will mention though that I've been weight training consistently for about a year now and although I am much stronger in the gym, it has not translated into pulling a heavier bow.

For me the only effective way to up the draw-weight is to practice with a heavier bow.

Offline smcrochet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I travel alot and stay in hotels. When I get back I just do not feel like going to the gym. So I bought some of the bands. They fit in the pocket of my suitcase easily and they are alot easier on my shoulders than weights. There are alot of different exercises you can do with them. I also take the stairs.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
I'd recommend getting a physical first to ensure that your heart is ok.
  I've worked out with weights since I was 18, (47 now) and have been a trainer and member in alot of gyms. Gyms are fine if you can motivate yourself to get there. But, as stated alot of people sign up and quit going after the first 2 mos. You've got to dedicate yourself and stick to it. Last fall, I was in a workout slump and "bit" on an infomerical - P90X. It's been a challenging, butt kicking workout that's gotten me into great shape. And, you do it in your home or hotel room. Basically, you need a DVD player and some space. It's alot of pushups, pullups, and fun cardio. You follow along to the DVD and there's a coach and students doing the same exercises that you do. It's motivational. If you get tired and can't keep up at first (and you will), then you hit "pause", catch your breath and re-start. I do NOT recommend P90X to you though, if you haven't been working out (Your work doesn't count!) at least moderately for some time. It is a very challenging workout. However, go to Beachbody.com and check out "P90/Power 90". It's a more moderate form of the workout that I'm doing.  
   Whatever, you do...take it slow and steady. If you don't do P90, start by walking every day if you can. Start out walking 1/2 mile and increase it every week or so. Your "lose 50lbs goal" is noble, but is going to be a challenge (especially coupled with stopping smoking). The other factor is diet. You can't workout and eat Big Macs. Traveling and eating correctly is especially challenging. Try to eat "clean" six days and week and allow yourself 1 cheat day where you can eat anything. Most people, myself included can't eat clean 7 days a week for long. "The pizza and wings start talking to us". So 1 time/week, eat that pizza and wings, BUT the next 6 days - clean it up!Good luck and stick to it. Do some form of exercise every day if you can and you'll get into shape.
Kyle

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Everything in moderation, including exercise, food, alcohol, sex, hunting, well manybe not hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©