3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where do turkeys roost?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Where do turkeys roost?
« on: April 06, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I have been seeing this flock of birds since last deer season. I pretty much know where they hang out but I'm not sure where they are roosting. What are the roosting habits of the birds? I found an area of pines with some cedar nearby and saw areas where the leaves had moved moved away by what appeared to me to be turkey scrathing. In the same area there appeared to be more turkey scat in than in the rest of the property, mostly at the base of trees and sometimes right on top of deer scat. Do they go to the same trees every night? What time of day do they roost? What time do they fly back to the ground? How far away from the roosting spot should I set up? Should I get in the woods an hour before sunrise? Thanks for all the advice!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where do turkeys roost?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I don't know about where you are at, but in Oklahoma I rarely see turkeys roosting in pines or cedars. Usually I see them roosting in large hardwoods with great horizontal limbs for perching. Most of the time, these are located near creek-beds. If you really want to find where the birds are roosting in your area, just break out a good shock call and have at it about dark; owl, hawk, woodpecker, and coyote calls have all worked for me...

Good luck!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
They often will roost in the same trees, but not every night from my experience.  Sounds like you have probably found an area that they prefer though!

They will go to roost shortly after sundown, and before full dark.  In the mornings fly down is usually right after it gets light enough to see good, although sometimes weather might make them stay tucked in bed longer.  

Try to set up as close as you can without them being able to see you.  They might just fly down into your lap!  I like to get in well before good daylight so they can't see me coming in.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
i always thought that they roosted only in hardwoods also,until this spring. on opening morning there were several roosted in some 20 plus year old planted pines, so that kinda shot that theory down. i'd say that it is possible that they are roosting where you think they are. like divinecedar said. good luck, you'll need all of that you can get!

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
If you are finding that much sign in one place you have indeed found a roost.  Here in Ohio they like pine trees too.  If you don't spook them most of the time they will come there every day.  When you go to hunt them you want to stay about 80 yards back so you don't jump them off the roost.  Even if its pitch black when you go in don't get to close.  They will fly down at first light and fly up right before dark.  Divinecedar is right get you a shock call, or just go out in full camo get close to that area and listen for them to fly up.  You will be able to here there wings flapping.  I must tell you though as the spring season gets later and later gobblers move around a good bit to find breeding hens.  So get on him as soon as you can.
Hope this helps,
Bryan Horner
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Sometimes I have my best luck by parking sorta close (1/4 to 1/2 mile maybe) to where I think they are, and on a real quiet evening after sunset before full dark I just slam my car door real loud and cup my ears to catch them shock-gobble to it.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
There are a couple of maples in my backyard which the turkeys roost in sometimes.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
I have seen them roosted in large pines but mostly maple trees.From what I have seen here in NY it seems that they do not roost in the same trees every night.Im no expert but if you get out there right before dark you can get them to gobble on their roost and then youll know for sure.The only problem with that is that by May 1st, at least near me they dont gobble as much as they will earlier in the spring, like now at  roosting time.My observations only bud Im sure you will get more opinions.At any rate I wish luck to your boys and you.Im sure youll have fun.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Ive them them roost in pretty much every type of tree, but ussually its Pine, Spruce or Hemlock around here. Usually on a hillside.

And I dont think they have any particular desire to go to the same trees every night. Most turkeys seem to know all the roosting spots in their range and just go to which ever is closest to them at the end of the day.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
The pines I'm talking about are at the base of a hill Dartwick.

Are turkeys as active in the rain as they are in nice weather?
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
Brian,in 2007 bow season I had our local flock roost on my property in some mature white pines and some maples about 50-60 yards in front of me while I was sitting in my stand.They did it twice in a row,then once more a few days later.And it was the same group of trees.Usually they won't use the same trees like deer sticking to specific bedding areas.But I do notice they stay within the same general area of it.Around here they use whatever trees they're closest to,be they pine,hemlock or hardwood.

From my experience last season,during the rain the birds stay roosted alot longer than you think.I found that out after me and my buddy kicked a jake off the roost after moving positions one morning.  :knothead:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Brian, The easiest way is to get up and be at a good listening spot at daylight...they'll tell ya just where they like to roost. Morning is much more reliable than evening...a lot of times they just won't gobble at dusk.

I've left a spot scratching my head in the evening, and returned in the morning to have several gobblers serenading me.....

Get up and listen, and if possible watch where they fly down and head to....might not always be the same, but you'll see tendencies....

It's a lot easier to call a bird to an area that's part of his routine, than one that's out of the way....

I'll say it again...get up and listen...you'll find'um

Good Luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Turkey hunting is hit and miss.  I have been chasing turkeys now for over ten years.  One thing that is true about turkeys, especially gobblers, is that you can't predict them.  If they are left alone, they will come back to the same area as long as there is a good food source there.  However, spring gobblers will move around like a rutting buck.  As far as rain, yes they are active. Go to the fields on a rainy spring day IMO.  I have had good luck in the fall season. AS for the spring I only have one jake fan on my wall.  It is a learning experience every time I go out.
Horner
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Rainy day are the easiest to find birds....they'll seek open areas and are very visable
Curt } >>--->   

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Here in eastern Kansas they roost alot in hedge,oak and cottonwood along creek bottoms.In the morning right before light you can even shock call them with the horn on the truck. I have them roost in the same general area but, not usually the same trees night after night.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
I have area on our property that the birds seem to roost in or near year after year, not exact trees but areas they will roost in almost any tree but they like a horizontial limb they can get up and down easily. Like Curt I find it's good to go listn at daylight for bierds and try to get a pattern down. The mature birds seem to stick to these more than the jakes or toms without hens. Nothing takes the place of watching birds and scouting. I am a good caller but most of my birds especially the 3yr old plus birds with big spurs come from knowing what they do and were they do it. I only call as much as needed and no more, but that all depends on the turkey and his mood, but that I feel only comes with experience and failure. My dad seems to kill some of the biggest birds around most years, he calls very little and uses his knowledge of a particular bird or birds, hehas killed may birds here in VT with spurs near or over 1.5" and weights 22lbs and up wich is big around here. He killed one a few years ago that took 18 days to close the deal. 23.5 lbs, 11.75 beard and 1 11/16" spurs. I hated that bird with a passion. So I would say scout and watch and listen alot changes in a turkeys world this time of year so be ready to adapt and move. long winded but I'm only 30 and have been at this game for 21 years, good and bad. Chris

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Trust me when I say, they roost in pines. I hunt a pine ridge and are bothered by them every morning. Some have actually been in my tree with me!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
As always great advice on TG. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. This will be my first turkey hunt. After reading these posts I'm convinced that I'm really close to the roost. I am open to all advice so please keep it coming. I see the turkeys in the same area that I saw them in in the fall. There seems to be more of them now. In the fall I had one right outside my blind (5 yards) and didn't even know it until I stuck my head up and he was right there. I see them in the same area now. 4 or 5 times I have seen them fly off and always in the same general area. Are they likely to fly towards their roost if they are close to it?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Do you mean after you spook them?
Curt } >>--->   

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm a newbie Curt. I would follow them during deer season to see how close I could get to them.
A couple times I didn't even know they were there. I came around the corner and they were just a couple steps in front of me. The other day when I was taking pictures they flew across the field to the area where I think they are roosting. I guess the answer is yes, after I spooked them. I've seen them fly about 4 times into the same area of woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©